Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maul's Role in the Star Wars Universe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Maul's Role in the Star Wars Universe

Acheilus
02.12.2012 , 02:33 PM | #1
Do you all agree that the prequels would have been better if Maul had been kept as the principle villain? He should have survived Episode 1 and came back. How do you think this would have been handled? How would the movies have been different? I believe that it would have been much better. Let me know.

BrandonSM
02.12.2012 , 02:45 PM | #2
No.. just no.

1st. Maul is overrated, and in the EU books his character has no personality or anything. He is like a Robot Assassin.

2nd. In the Darth Plageuis, it even states Maul was a tool. Maul was a tool, and Sidious knew Maul would never come close to outranking him. In fact Plageuis even knew it to. Maul's role in the Grand PLan was to reveal the Sith and that was it.

And the arguement, Savage is suppose to be Maul's equal and Savage went on a god mode in TCW is a fail. Savage was being empowered by the Night-Sisters.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

xalexinchainsx
02.12.2012 , 02:50 PM | #3
Jar-Jar Binks should have been the principle villain which gets run over by the vehicle in the beginning.
Jay Cutler - #1 QB

Asturias
02.12.2012 , 04:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Acheilus View Post
Do you all agree that the prequels would have been better if Maul had been kept as the principle villain? He should have survived Episode 1 and came back. How do you think this would have been handled? How would the movies have been different? I believe that it would have been much better. Let me know.
I agree, GL sucked the life right out of it when he killed him. Darth Maul had the villian flavor "Vader" had. I remember when the movie hit the theaters for the first time and so many people were pissed off because Obi killed him so quickly.

Count Dooku was lame and it would of been better to have a face off with Anakin vs Maul.
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

BrandonSM
02.12.2012 , 04:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Asturias View Post
I agree, GL sucked the life right out of it when he killed him. Darth Maul had the villian flavor "Vader" had. I remember when the movie hit the theaters for the first time and so many people were pissed off because Obi killed him so quickly.

Count Dooku was lame and it would of been better to have a face off with Anakin vs Maul.
No Villain in SW had a flavor like Vader.

Maul never killed his Servants because they pissed him off, Maul never even Force CHokeed anyone, had an awesome voice and had a decent story(Luke's father?)
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

sanzen
02.12.2012 , 04:30 PM | #6
Very much agree with OP, Maul should have had the "Vader" role in the prequels, they really needed a villain that we can be afraid of (they also needed a protagonist) however that would have meant giving him more character and not just a bunch of cool stunts.

Dont care about what they say in the EU, its the movies that counts, not the books, and especially not The clone wars.

Seems that the EU desperetly tries to cover up for Georges plot mistakes however.
Have fun
landoro
Me Grimlock kick butt!

I will bite your legs of!

LeeTone
02.12.2012 , 05:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
No.. just no.
Beat me to it.

undeadsithdread
02.12.2012 , 06:14 PM | #8
honesty i agree with this i don't really feel count dooku was sith i flet him more like a dark jedi.

Darth sidious + Darth maul = complete sith (their purpose are clear and they are terrorfying)

Darth sidious + count dooku = Sith and emo dark jedi.
Sith assassin Forever!

Gantoris_Aym
02.12.2012 , 06:49 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Asturias View Post

exactly!

Dooku = worst Idea ever

Grievous = not important to star wars universe in any way possible.

Maul = the coolest of the original PT characters.

Jango Fett = Basically Boba Fett, so yeah he's cool, but he's not Original.

Palpatine = necessary, but not that interesting in the movies.

What was so good about the OT? It was so well directed, and it was a constant struggle between Luke and Darth Vader. You are able to build more character depth that way, and cause the audience to form better opinions about your characters. Keeping Maul would allow the SW audience to be familiar with the threat and associate more with one side or the other. Sure a lot of people think Maul was overrated, but It's not about the SW universe because fans hated the prequels even though they weren't made for the universe they were made to shut up the fans. People hate the prequels because they hate new things. The SW fans wanted the OT but that wasn't gunna happen. Fans were upset because they romanticized the past. It's very common for us to do that, but one solution is to give people the past. here's what I would have done with the PT

Made the group more sustainable:
1.) kept Qui Gon and Maul alive (no main characters [except maybe Jar Jar] die)
2.) find a way to keep Obiwan, Anakin, Padme, and the group pretty much together (like the OT where they were always in the Falcon together and usually all ended up together)
3.) given the characters a ship that would serve as a common meeting place (much like the Falcon and the Ebon Hawk).
4.) Killed Maul either in the 2nd or part way through the 3rd movie.
5.) killed qui gon in the 2nd movie
6.) Allowed more sith. (if you're going to have a whole Jedi Order, then I think the balance would allow for a more believable extermination of the Jedi).

some of you may be glad I didn't make star wars, but that's just what I would have done. if you don't agree that's fine...i'm sure there are things you'd rather have done. Those are just a few things I think that would have given the PT a more believable flow (I'm not arguing that it would be better because I don't think you'll ever satisfy the SW fans).

Clawdaddy
02.12.2012 , 06:55 PM | #10
I was very entertained by Maul and hoped 'he' might show himself in Ep.2. Hey, it was an attack of clones, after all. That said, I enjoyed Dooku as well and I understand they each had a part to play. But, he never had the villian mystique that Maul or OT Vader did.