Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any plans for rewards for neutral characters?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Any plans for rewards for neutral characters?

Bekkarina
02.11.2012 , 06:38 AM | #1
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before (I tried to check and couldn't find it), it's the first time that I post on the forum.

I decided that it would be more fun to play my operative's choices without knowing in advance if they gave me light or dark points (although it's easy to guess) so I used the option that turns off showing the alignment in advance. As a result, my character is neutral and tends to stay that way.

Are there any plans in future to create neutral character rewards? Otherwise there's a huge incentive to decide for a side and max it, but even if I am not a roleplayer I cannot relate much to the choices of an operative that are always Dark (after all it's an operative, not a deranged sith) or always Light (again, it's military, why should she want to spare enemies left and right including those that were trying to kill her a minute earlier?).

Full dark or full light might make sense when playing sith or jedi, but for the other classes I think that it would be nice to have a neutral option. I love the dialogues and alignment effects because I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, but if you put tangible effects (gear) for being of any one side you have to take into account the neutral side too.

I guess that the counterargument is that a level 1 character would be neutral already and in theory able to buy neutral gear. This could be avoided by a stricter definition of neutral, e.g. = Neutral I = neutral alignment and at least 1000 dark points, 1000 light points; Neutral II = as above, but 2000 dark points, 2000 light points, etc.

Eternalnight
02.11.2012 , 06:47 AM | #2
There are plans, but nobody really knows when it will be added into the game. Could be "soon". Could be many years from now. Or then they could just change their minds again and never do it.

Listerman
02.11.2012 , 07:12 AM | #3
It's Star Wars. No one ever remains Neutral.
It doesn't matter what the individual thinks, the Force judges you on a scale of Black and White.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

Riggler
02.11.2012 , 09:02 AM | #4
Not sure why this thread was moved??? If it needed to be moved then it should have at least ended up in the suggestion forum off the general forum...at any rate, I support the OP in wanting neutral reward options and I like the neutral I, II, etc breakdown presented...

Also, I don't think it is even remotely hard to end up neutral in Star Wars especially with a class like Smuggler or even Bounty Hunter...it would be even better if these guys could play both sides of the fence, switch allegiances, etc but that is most likely in the realm of impossibility...but the Neutral standing is far more reasonable thing to have I think in game terms...

Darthshnooky
02.11.2012 , 11:59 AM | #5
Don't expect any definitions of neutral. It's already simple enough. If you are between 999 and -999, then you're neutral. The longer you play the game, the harder this is to maintain (in the same way that it is "harder" to get up one alignment or the other). So neutral is already clearly defined in game. Gear restrictions would be handled in the same way they are for alignment gear, with a level requirement.

So a neutral speeder would require level 50 and neutral, etc.

As others have said, BW has mentioned neutral rewards many times. I'd say just keep your fingers crossed for 1.2 next month, as they seem to be packing a ton of content into that patch. Here's hoping!

Zorky
08.12.2012 , 07:58 AM | #6
So its been 7-8 months since we got announcement for neutral rewards is there any update on this bioware ?
Dedicated IRC Channels - Server: irc.globalgamers.net and Channels: #Bioware and #TheOldRepublic
http://www.globalgamers.net/

GalaxyStrong
08.13.2012 , 03:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorky View Post
So its been 7-8 months since we got announcement for neutral rewards is there any update on this bioware ?
I would like to know as well, I am lvl 35 Sith Warrior and I'm neutral.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

Brewsum
08.15.2012 , 12:21 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Listerman View Post
It's Star Wars. No one ever remains Neutral.
It doesn't matter what the individual thinks, the Force judges you on a scale of Black and White.
I think I would have to agree with you on this.

If you reamin neutral then you are not taking sides. You are not helping out either cause. The reward for not helping out is that you get to play to your own standards.

I would take it a step father and say that any character that doesn't have at least dark side 1 or light side 1 would not be able to PvP at all. You wouldn't be able to attack, heal or be attacked or healed in PvP.

You would be able to heal other neutral players in PvE.

Codeplayer
08.15.2012 , 01:10 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Brewsum View Post
I think I would have to agree with you on this.

If you reamin neutral then you are not taking sides. You are not helping out either cause. The reward for not helping out is that you get to play to your own standards.

I would take it a step father and say that any character that doesn't have at least dark side 1 or light side 1 would not be able to PvP at all. You wouldn't be able to attack, heal or be attacked or healed in PvP.

You would be able to heal other neutral players in PvE.
Don't confuse factions with alignments. I am a light sided sith but I am still a sith, and I still fight for the empire. my light side choices still help the light side cause as do the evil and neutral choices, all in different ways. If a "good" soldier and a "bad" soldier are fighting in a war for the same country, they are still allies in the same war, even though they may have different views and would make different choices in given situations, and despite those views both of them are acquisitioned the same gear. Now that being said I like the idea of armors and weapons for certain alignments that say I am a good guy you can tell because of my armor, or hey I'm evil you can tell because of my armor, but I think they should be cosmetic and definitely not on relics where being neutral restricts our usage of items in the later game.

Khevar
08.15.2012 , 01:57 PM | #10
From an RP perspective, my Sith Inquisitor is a horrible evil **** who is happy to backstab everyone in the rush to power.

By comparison, my Imperial Agent is a consummate professional who will make choices that increase the Empire's strength and accomplish the mission at hand.

Based on the conversation options in the game, my SI is supremely darkside, but my IA is pretty much half and half. It would be cool to have some specific gear choices that rewarded this behavior.