Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

TrixxieTriss
02.03.2017 , 09:03 PM | #871
Quote: Originally Posted by corosu View Post
Interesting to note the Hero engine is used in ESO and it support Mac fine. So it might just need to be upgraded to the newest version of the engine thus saving developer hours from having to switch to another game engine.
The issue is Bioware licenced a beta version of Hero that they then highly modified beyond what full versions of the engine supported at the time.
The engine was changed so much that it's not covered under any Hero update or support, so they can't even ask Hero for help.
It's these changes that have caused all the problems with lag, bugs and the ability to add certain features since launch when most of the coders left Bioware. The Dev team are still trying to decipher some of what those coders have done.
When people say the engine can't handle it, they aren't talking about a full version of Hero, they are talking about this beta, customised, abortion version of Hero.

Avicii
02.03.2017 , 10:09 PM | #872
The Hero Engine has nothing to do with why there isn't a Mac client.

Typically the mac gaming market is signicantly smaller then Windows at the the time SWTOR was developed I believe Blizzards said 4% of their players used a Mac.

That's a huge disparity and while it has surely increased it is just not worth the Devs time to create a Mac client when they have Boot camp and other ways to run the game currently.

You have to consider what do they really gain by deving a Mac client at this point in SWTORs life cycle?

TrixxieTriss
02.03.2017 , 10:20 PM | #873
Quote: Originally Posted by Avicii View Post

Typically the mac gaming market is signicantly smaller then Windows at the the time SWTOR was developed I believe Blizzards said 4% of their players used a Mac.

That's a huge disparity and while it has surely increased it is just not worth the Devs time to create a Mac client when they have Boot camp and other ways to run the game currently.

You have to consider what do they really gain by deving a Mac client at this point in SWTORs life cycle?
We understand why they didn't do one. But you are missing what some of us are saying. They couldn't do it even if they wanted to because of what they did to the engine and the fact that a lot of the coding still isn't decipherable.

dr_mike
02.04.2017 , 08:53 AM | #874
Quote: Originally Posted by corosu View Post
Interesting to note the Hero engine is used in ESO and it support Mac fine.
Hero is not used in ESO. It was used by the storyline and art teams while their own engine was created.
Who knows what lurks in the minds of those crazy Sith....
1% gets donated to unemployed Jawas living on Hoth

cagthehack
02.04.2017 , 10:58 AM | #875
Quote: Originally Posted by Avicii View Post

^^^^^

With Bootcamp it's easy peasy to run any game. You can even use the Bootcamp in a VM, for regular Windows work. Then you want to game, reboot into Windows native.

I play Skyrim, this game (SWTOR), and a few others on Bootcamp WIndows 10 all the time. On my MBP.

I don't need a "native" mac client.

poyntz
04.17.2017 , 09:45 PM | #876
Quote: Originally Posted by Pencilvania View Post
Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?
Yes. It runs using Wine. Runs great even given solid GPU & RAM. Note: Alt + Tab freezes the game. Tested on: OS X 10.10.5, SWTOR 6.0
1. Install Wine 2.0 & Winetricks (can install both using Homebrew in Terminal)
2. Use winetricks to install msvcp90=native d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp
3. Use wine to run SWTOR_setup.exe (installs your setup files)
4. Once setup finished add the following lines to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars - The Old Republic/launcher.settings file using TextEdit:
Quote: Originally Posted by WineHQ.org
"PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }","bitraider_disable": true
Save the launcher.settings file.

5. Put swtor_fix.exe download from https : // github . com / aljen / swtor_fix (no spaces) into ~\.wine\drive_c\
6. Put SWTORLaunch.app into Applications from the .dmg file (same name) also downloaded from the link above.
7. Run SWTORLaunch.app to install SWTOR. The launcher pops up in a Wine window. (Note: game is Gigabytes big and takes ages to download)
8. Once install finished close SWTOR and the 2 Terminal tabs that are open (i.e, swtor_fix.exe and launcher.exe).
9. Open winecfg in a new Terminal. Under the 'Graphics' tab, tick the 'Emulate a virtual desktop' textbox, set Width & Height to your monitor's resolution and click Ok.
10. Open SWTORLaunch.app to run SWTOR. Note the launcher pops up in a Wine window. Just interact with it like you would on windows.

**SWTORLaunch.app (applescript) opens Terminal running swtor_fix.exe and launcher.exe in separate tabs - these two wine executables need to be running concurrently for SWTOR on MAC OS X to work. Please let me know if you have any issues with SWTORLaunch.app so I can update it. SWTOR on MAC has been running great for me. Even better on the 2012 MAC than the old PC.
Auryus-Saas legacy, The Red Eclipse
Shadows of the Dragon.|.Thunder...............
Kyyaen Tyyrae RystrVaeyyu ..............................................|.......................KhonurSyyrele KiiaeThyl'ux'zaar

IntegrationArch
07.21.2017 , 08:33 PM | #877
How many run wine and MAC swtor?

How many bootcamp MAC WIN10 swtor?

manuuuuuuu
08.03.2017 , 09:40 AM | #878
HI mates,
I'm using playonmac with wine 1.7.53 to run SWTOR. Didn't had any trouble until now.
Since the last launcher update, I can't play to swtor anymore.
Basically the launcher never open.

Anyone having the same problem ?

Verain
08.03.2017 , 10:11 AM | #879
Quote: Originally Posted by manuuuuuuu View Post
HI mates,
I'm using playonmac with wine 1.7.53 to run SWTOR. Didn't had any trouble until now.
Since the last launcher update, I can't play to swtor anymore.
Basically the launcher never open.

Anyone having the same problem ?
Like, how did you bump this thread instead of finding the ones on the front page about it?

Brief version: the updated launcher doesn't work under Windows XP or Wine. Bioware will probably fix that. Wine will patch to support the new thing later, probably by taking a patch from a guy on this forum.

In the meantime, your solution is in this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme...ation_failure/

You will need to download and extract the binaries from a third party site (I consider them trustworthy, but your level of concern may vary). You will need to rename or remove any existing /bitraider and/or /patch subdirectories in your swtor directory. Then you will need to modify your launcher.settings file by inserting the specified option to prevent it from using the new launcher.

This is a workaround where you use the old launcher, and prevent it from updating. Hopefully Wine will be updated in mainline before October, OR that Bioware fixes it and then you can just remove the line in the settings file and it will update at that time (hopefully to a newer launcher that works).
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."