Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Caelrie
06.10.2013 , 09:45 AM | #831
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithrand View Post
But then you are stuck with only windows, which is awful. And when people say the cost equivalent line, they never seem to count the amazing mac monitors/screens. They are breathtaking compared to most others. I know there is no way of convincing you as I used to hate mac until I went to film school and was forced to use one. I was dying to get back to my windows machine a few months later and then when I finally did it was terrible compared to the mac I was forced to use.

I've never looked back since.
Someone drank the koolaid. Mac monitors use the same technology as everyone else's.

ATAMIANM
06.10.2013 , 11:52 AM | #832
This all is true. But how many PCs are out there compared to Macs, used mostly for gaming? I am a longtime Mac owner, but I don't see why any company would invest in porting over something from PC to Mac a year or more after the game has been out. My opinion: If you want to do dual release, do it at game start, not a year or more after it's been out. I do not know on your list whether the games were released simultaneously for OS X and Windows.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aramyth View Post
Lets start by naming MMOs/popular multiplayer games that have a native a client:

World of Warcraft
Lord of the Rings Online
Guild Wars 2
Starcraft 2
League of Legends
Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn
Eve Online
Diablo 3
DoTA2
Team Fortress 2
EverQuest
War hammer Online
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Call of Duty 4
Sim City

So don't try to tell me there's no demand for it if more and more games are coming natively to OSX.

To all you people who are all "wassh I don't like OSx cause it's a monopoly", and similar complaints, you better take a look a who makes your precious DirectX. DirectX vs OpenGL is the only reason you don't see more native Mac clients.

Kynesis
06.11.2013 , 07:01 PM | #833
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
Someone drank the koolaid. Mac monitors use the same technology as everyone else's.
Might want to check your own bias there, pot.

The LCD isn't the whole picture.

CaptRavenous
06.11.2013 , 07:20 PM | #834
Quote: Originally Posted by mountains View Post
No, you can bootcamp and retain 95% of your computer's performance. Or you can just be like a rational person, and not buy an Apple computer to game on.

<--- owner of 3 OS X/iOS devices.
I laughed. Hard.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

dcgregorya
06.11.2013 , 08:45 PM | #835
Not unless it works on Linux.

darthhideous
06.11.2013 , 09:30 PM | #836
If you own a Mac boot camp it.... And this is coming from a MacBook pro computer with Windows 7 on it. It would be bad business to program a whole new version for the 5% of the population that doesn't have windows on their machine.
Hunters try it with their pets
Warriors do it when their angry
Rogues do it from behind
Warlocks do it over time

Kynesis
06.12.2013 , 06:53 PM | #837
Quote: Originally Posted by darthhideous View Post
If you own a Mac boot camp it.... And this is coming from a MacBook pro computer with Windows 7 on it. It would be bad business to program a whole new version for the 5% of the population that doesn't have windows on their machine.
You have no data to evaluate either how many mac users there may currently or potentially be, and you have no data about the cost / benefit of undertaking the project and no data upon which to base any future projections.

At the WWDC currently taking place, they've pointed out that Apple has paid developers ten billion dollars in revenue. That's chiefly for iOS applications like angry birds and temple run - a super simple game about flinging things at oblongs to topple them and a dude who runs in a straight line, occasionally jumping or sliding. Everybody's big interest here is clearly to play swtor on their Mac... isn't it? That is the core assumption behind this entire thread, right?

Developing for Mac OS and iOS shares many similarities, the SDK's have differences, the UI's have differences but they're not particularly significant differences - so there's some degree of challenge, but are you seriously suggesting that swtor isn't worth building for a ten billion dollar market, a market where the only other competition is an ageing WoW and gimmicky one-trick-ponies...

JetAten
06.20.2013 , 11:28 AM | #838
Quote: Originally Posted by darthhideous View Post
Makes you wonder why so many developers are supporting the Mac then even Bethesda which said in the past they would not develop for the Mac are now developing a native mac client for Elder Scrolls Online. Just about every single game developer is now supporting the Mac platform in one way or another. I guess they are all bad companies.

Caelrie
06.20.2013 , 12:26 PM | #839
Quote: Originally Posted by JetAten View Post
Makes you wonder why so many developers are supporting the Mac then even Bethesda which said in the past they would not develop for the Mac are now developing a native mac client for Elder Scrolls Online. Just about every single game developer is now supporting the Mac platform in one way or another. I guess they are all bad companies.
Building something from the ground up during development is different than trying to go back and add a mac client later.

Kilora
06.20.2013 , 12:40 PM | #840
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
Building something from the ground up during development is different than trying to go back and add a mac client later.
Yes and no.

Some games are simple ports.
Some games are not.

Depends on how it was programmed, and what resources they have available to them to help the port. On top of that, this thread started before the game was released. Quite a few games have added Mac clients post-launch.