Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

BrunoLogan
07.16.2012 , 08:41 AM | #751
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
I would support it if BioWare thinks it's a good business decision. If they weigh the cost of producing and supporting a mac client (probably HIGH) against the number of new sales they'll get for directly supporting mac (can't count people who already use BootCamp or similar in this; probably LOW) and can find profit in it, then they should probably code it.
If they'd make the Mac version downloadable like the PC version, I think many people who runs the game through Windows on Mac would get the native client. Making people purchase another copy to play would be stupid.

Qarran
07.16.2012 , 08:48 AM | #752
Sure. I support a Mac client. Why not? I think anything that will make the game more accessible to more people is worth some effort.
Now, I don't know what type of development would be involved so maybe it would be prohibitive. However, given the state of the industry and the continuing popularity of Apple products, I would suggest it is better to bite the bullet now, create the client and have a framework for other things in the future.

If this game and games like it are truly going to be a part of BW/EA long term strategy, build the Mac client now.

LordHDL
07.25.2012 , 11:49 AM | #753
I am currently using a late 2011 MacBook Pro '13, running SWTOR, and I can honestly say, it would be a hell of a lot easier for me to just be able to run TOR in OS X. Switching back and forth is just a hassle, and honestly, Windows is installed on my Mac just for SWTOR. I think there is a decent market for this game in the Apple community. We don't have many MMOs. The only noteworthy MMOs we have are WoW, EVE Online, and eventually The Elder Scrolls Online. Other developers have begun to embrace Macs and OS X. It would not be terribly hard to create a Mac client. EA has experience with games for Mac, and has the resources to do it. I know the concern here is profitability, but I would slap down another $60 for a Mac copy of the game.

MarsisdNord
07.25.2012 , 12:16 PM | #754
I play game on a Mac with bootcamp, no i don't support the idea of spending development resources on re-writing the game to be played on OS X.

Kourage
07.25.2012 , 12:45 PM | #755
Quote:
Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

No I do not.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Cunarandihir
09.25.2012 , 03:56 PM | #756
somebody got news or facts - Mac Client??? yess, no, perhaps, of course, never ever ????

Roalmo
09.25.2012 , 04:02 PM | #757
Quote: Originally Posted by Cunarandihir View Post
somebody got news or facts - Mac Client??? yess, no, perhaps, of course, never ever ????
Never ever, no new news, just the game situation decrees that. From 2.4 million to less than 500k.. no way.

quantumsheep
09.25.2012 , 04:50 PM | #758
Quote: Originally Posted by LordHDL View Post
I am currently using a late 2011 MacBook Pro '13, running SWTOR, and I can honestly say, it would be a hell of a lot easier for me to just be able to run TOR in OS X. Switching back and forth is just a hassle, and honestly, Windows is installed on my Mac just for SWTOR. I think there is a decent market for this game in the Apple community. We don't have many MMOs. The only noteworthy MMOs we have are WoW, EVE Online, and eventually The Elder Scrolls Online. Other developers have begun to embrace Macs and OS X. It would not be terribly hard to create a Mac client. EA has experience with games for Mac, and has the resources to do it. I know the concern here is profitability, but I would slap down another $60 for a Mac copy of the game.
This mirrors my experience too.

Though the PC side would also get to see the new Xcom next month too!

QS
The Progenitor
Hicks /Soir/Quantumsheep/Gradius/Huddson/Galaga
What I DO

Jacen_Starsolo
09.25.2012 , 04:59 PM | #759
If they do, they need to make a Linux client too.

And while they are at that, why not make a OS/2 client

Heck, go for broke and make a DOS client.

People say it's a hassle from doing Bootcamp for just this game, they should get a PC for just this game and deal with it or stay Bootcamped. Nobody put a gun to their heads to make them buy those Macs, right?

How about all the things made for iPhones become available for Android, Apple? And Bioware has some IPhone stuff not on Android last I checked.

DaenShadow
10.04.2012 , 09:46 PM | #760
It seems not doing a mac client isn't a great idea.... Maybe they wouldn't have lost so many subs... who knows?

Wow, a lot of uninformed people about Mac... One thing, third party hardware companies can release drivers for Mac OS... nVidia just released Mac OSX drivers. "http://www.tonymacx86.com/257-nvidia-releases-mountain-lion-10-8-2-graphics-drivers.html" And there are a fair amount of hardware companies that make hardware for the Mac and develop drivers for them... This isn't an exclusive Mac or PC world... Mac is great for a lot of things and appeals to people that like style, function and ease of use with good technology that doesn't get in the way. PC's are really just about function and not much style...it's all about function and cost. I wouldn't call stupid looking Alien cases style.

Anyway, as some people have stated, high end PC's cost the same or more than Macs do and you really don't get much more function or performance. The new Macs are equal with PCs...heck they are PC's...They run Intel CPUs...

Oh and who said Mac OS cost $800 to Windows $100-$200? Uh, Not sure what cool-aid you're drinking, but OS X Mountain Lion cost $19.99 for upgrade at the App Store. Try to buy a Windows Upgrade License for that? And by the way, you did have to buy the hardware for that PC as well...so tack on that $100-$200 on to the hardware cost of the PC as well... There isn't that much of a difference...

Also, Mac is the leader in the laptop market at ~27% (just counting MacBook Pro and MacBook Air). That's a lot of Mac OS's out there.

Why so much hate toward Macs? I use both PCs and Macs. I prefer Macs simply because they are form, function and performance...and they just work.