Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

pangwl's Avatar


pangwl
03.16.2012 , 03:04 PM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
Boot Camp doesn't run TOR. You have to buy Windows at significant extra cost, install and maintain it, and reboot to play.

And why on earth would anyone pay more?
Thanks, but.. think carefully and reflect how you had just answered. And take the standpoint of BW/ the devs.
Arradan | Jedi Sentinel | Republic Centurion

Lethality's Avatar


Lethality
03.16.2012 , 03:07 PM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by pangwl View Post
Thanks, but.. think carefully and reflect how you had just answered. And take the standpoint of BW/ the devs.
Thanks, but... think carefully and reflect on what you just said. And take the standpoint of the Mac owners. Who are already supported by other companies, including Blizzard.

And will be by BioWare, if you haven't been paying attention.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

pangwl's Avatar


pangwl
03.16.2012 , 03:14 PM | #513
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
Thanks, but... think carefully and reflect on what you just said. And take the standpoint of the Mac owners. Who are already supported by other companies, including Blizzard.

And will be by BioWare, if you haven't been paying attention.
Indeed, I havent been paying attention, so when exactly will swtor's mac client be released?
Arradan | Jedi Sentinel | Republic Centurion

iain_b's Avatar


iain_b
03.16.2012 , 03:16 PM | #514
Quote: Originally Posted by Dropadeuce View Post
Absolutely false. Apple machines contain the same hardware a pc machine does. There is nothing that makes windows 7 run better in an apple machine. However, I chose not to use that garbage foxconn communist slave produced motherboard apple uses.
As opposed to the re-branded foxconn communist slave produced motherboard you actually do own?

And if it's not made by Foxconn it's pretty much guaranteed that some of its components are, as well as other components in your PC.



EDIT: and I take you don't own anything by any of these manufacturers?

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[32]
Amazon.com (United States)[33]
Apple Inc. (United States)[34]
Cisco (United States)[35]
Dell (United States)[36]
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[37]
Intel (United States)[38]
Microsoft (United States)[39]
Motorola Mobility (United States)[36]
Nintendo (Japan)[40]
Nokia (Finland)[34]
Samsung Electronics (South Korea)[41]
Sony (Japan)[42]
Toshiba (Japan) [43]
Vizio (United States)[44]
(source)

All are Foxconn customers.
My Little Pwny
Kulok Dunar, Powertech and GM of MLP. Want to join? Click here for info.

Squadron 1020 & 367

iain_b's Avatar


iain_b
03.16.2012 , 03:23 PM | #515
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
Thanks, but... think carefully and reflect on what you just said. And take the standpoint of the Mac owners. Who are already supported by other companies, including Blizzard.

And will be by BioWare, if you haven't been paying attention.
I guess that's one way to interpret Stephen Reid's post.
My Little Pwny
Kulok Dunar, Powertech and GM of MLP. Want to join? Click here for info.

Squadron 1020 & 367

XenonParsec's Avatar


XenonParsec
03.16.2012 , 03:37 PM | #516
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
Thanks, but... think carefully and reflect on what you just said. And take the standpoint of the Mac owners. Who are already supported by other companies, including Blizzard.

And will be by BioWare, if you haven't been paying attention.
Instead of responding segment by segment to your astounding sense of entitlement, i'll just respond to the above.

Are you both a game developer and a financial analyst with F500 company experience for either position? I doubt it. The people paid to do the research on the REALIZED TECHNICAL AND FINANCIAL FEASIBILITY of a native Mac port have done so, and they didn't think it added up to big dollars. You can stamp your feet and argue with other unqualified neckbeards who also aren't F500 company developers or analysts, why you think a publicly traded company should lose money and man-hours on your behalf, but it won't translate into real world results.

If your next predictable response is "I am in fact a big time developer with over 9000 projects experience for the largest companies on earth," then I encourage you to instead of spending energy on these forums, you email your analysis to those ivy school grads at EA. Let us know how that goes.

Why there's this special snowflake sense among mac gamers is beyond me. As a (theoretically) informed consumer, you make a choice on platforms, and their true capabilities. Mac is not a well-supported gaming platform. Period. Bioware doesn't care that blizzard supports Mac. They care about revenue. That's also why Blizzard did a port, they had a large enough playerbase and handle on the technical issues for it to make sense. Revenue.

Also, what would your dead patron Saint Jobs think of your "team" developing in Flash instead of html5? Shameful.

pangwl's Avatar


pangwl
03.16.2012 , 03:44 PM | #517
Quote: Originally Posted by XenonParsec View Post
Instead of responding segment by segment to your astounding sense of entitlement, i'll just respond to the above.

Are you both a game developer and a financial analyst with F500 company experience for either position? I doubt it. The people paid to do the research on the REALIZED TECHNICAL AND FINANCIAL FEASIBILITY of a native Mac port have done so, and they didn't think it added up to big dollars. You can stamp your feet and argue with other unqualified neckbeards who also aren't F500 company developers or analysts, why you think a publicly traded company should lose money and man-hours on your behalf, but it won't translate into real world results.

If your next predictable response is "I am in fact a big time developer with over 9000 projects experience for the largest companies on earth," then I encourage you to instead of spending energy on these forums, you email your analysis to those ivy school grads at EA. Let us know how that goes.

Why there's this special snowflake sense among mac gamers is beyond me. As a (theoretically) informed consumer, you make a choice on platforms, and their true capabilities. Mac is not a well-supported gaming platform. Period. Bioware doesn't care that blizzard supports Mac. They care about revenue. That's also why Blizzard did a port, they had a large enough playerbase and handle on the technical issues for it to make sense. Revenue.

Also, what would your dead patron Saint Jobs think of your "team" developing in Flash instead of html5? Shameful.
Thank you. You actually did him a favor and interpreted my reply to him earlier, which I'll quote again below. Futhermore, that's exactly the reason why I asked if the mac users community would pay extra to get swtor in Mac client (if BW decide to charge them more.) But, he replied with a "why on earth people need to pay extra for it." I don't understand his logic, and really beats me. You pay the extra dime for being special and unique.

Quote: Originally Posted by pangwl View Post
Thanks, but.. think carefully and reflect how you had just answered. And take the standpoint of BW/ the devs.
@ Lethality: And again, let me emphasize, I'm not saying BW shouldn't do it or what not, but realistically, it's not feasibly good enough profit margin to do it.
Arradan | Jedi Sentinel | Republic Centurion

iain_b's Avatar


iain_b
03.16.2012 , 04:02 PM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by XenonParsec View Post
Bioware doesn't care that blizzard supports Mac. They care about revenue. That's also why Blizzard did a port, they had a large enough playerbase and handle on the technical issues for it to make sense. Revenue.
Every Blizzard game you buy works on both Mac and PC and you can even copy the game folder from your Windows PC to your Mac and it will work without any updating.

They develop all their games from the ground up to work on both Mac and PC. That's not a port.
My Little Pwny
Kulok Dunar, Powertech and GM of MLP. Want to join? Click here for info.

Squadron 1020 & 367

Onyx's Avatar


Onyx
03.16.2012 , 04:40 PM | #519
Quote: Originally Posted by pangwl View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by XenonParsec View Post
Instead of responding segment by segment to your astounding sense of entitlement, i'll just respond to the above.

Are you both a game developer and a financial analyst with F500 company experience for either position? I doubt it. The people paid to do the research on the REALIZED TECHNICAL AND FINANCIAL FEASIBILITY of a native Mac port have done so, and they didn't think it added up to big dollars. You can stamp your feet and argue with other unqualified neckbeards who also aren't F500 company developers or analysts, why you think a publicly traded company should lose money and man-hours on your behalf, but it won't translate into real world results.

If your next predictable response is "I am in fact a big time developer with over 9000 projects experience for the largest companies on earth," then I encourage you to instead of spending energy on these forums, you email your analysis to those ivy school grads at EA. Let us know how that goes.

Why there's this special snowflake sense among mac gamers is beyond me. As a (theoretically) informed consumer, you make a choice on platforms, and their true capabilities. Mac is not a well-supported gaming platform. Period. Bioware doesn't care that blizzard supports Mac. They care about revenue. That's also why Blizzard did a port, they had a large enough playerbase and handle on the technical issues for it to make sense. Revenue.

Also, what would your dead patron Saint Jobs think of your "team" developing in Flash instead of html5? Shameful.
Thank you. You actually did him a favor and interpreted my reply to him earlier, which I'll quote again below. Futhermore, that's exactly the reason why I asked if the mac users community would pay extra to get swtor in Mac client (if BW decide to charge them more.) But, he replied with a "why on earth people need to pay extra for it." I don't understand his logic, and really beats me. You pay the extra dime for being special and unique.

@ Lethality: And again, let me emphasize, I'm not saying BW shouldn't do it or what not, but realistically, it's not feasibly good enough profit margin to do it.
However most of what was said above presumes that it's strictly a financial decision and I think it's been somewhat established that the biggest reason is due to limitations of the engine itself.

As further evidence of that, EA traditionally releases many of their most popular games for both MacOS and Windows. That includes the hugely-successful Sims franchise. With the original Sims and Sims 2, they were ported. With Sims 3 however, both versions for the base game as well as each and every expansion and enhancement pack have been released simultaneously (the most recent expansion came out 10 days ago). I find it unlikely that they'd follow one method in the instance of TOR and do the reverse in many other cases. Especially given that there is already a precedence set and some solid numbers on the size of the audience.

Anyway, it's pretty much been stated that there will likely be a Mac client in the future. Would it cost more for Mac users to purchase it? Highly doubtful. The client would be delivered via the same mechanism--i.e. both versions would be on the same physical media as has been the norm for a number of companies, EA included.

I'm going to throw one other thing out there, is anyone who's been speaking for or against actually done any real coding for games that run under both platforms? Do you even know what's actually involved and how much "new" is even necessary?
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Toxen's Avatar


Toxen
03.16.2012 , 05:20 PM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by XenonParsec View Post
That's also why Blizzard did a port
Where is this port you speak of? My WoW on mac runs on a native client...installed from the same set of 5 CDs that I installed on my Dell.
"Peace is a lie, there is only pancake."