Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Mithrand
12.13.2011 , 09:24 AM | #11
I played beta on bootcamp although I would love to have a mac osx client!

/sign

Solusrath
12.13.2011 , 09:24 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Caras View Post
True and not true. My 27" iMac handles games quite well in BootCamp.
Not as well as a PC of equivalent cost would.
First in, last out

Skiiba
12.13.2011 , 09:26 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by mountains View Post
No, you can bootcamp and retain 95% of your computer's performance. Or you can just be like a rational person, and not buy an Apple computer to game on.

<--- owner of 3 OS X/iOS devices.
100% not 95%, you dont lose anything by using windows other than you are in a different OS. Your GPU will also work better in Windows by updating to the latest drivers.
Skiiba - Medic
Mandalorian Forge
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
YouTube | Recruitment Thread

Mithrand
12.13.2011 , 09:30 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Solusrath View Post
Not as well as a PC of equivalent cost would.
But then you are stuck with only windows, which is awful. And when people say the cost equivalent line, they never seem to count the amazing mac monitors/screens. They are breathtaking compared to most others. I know there is no way of convincing you as I used to hate mac until I went to film school and was forced to use one. I was dying to get back to my windows machine a few months later and then when I finally did it was terrible compared to the mac I was forced to use.

I've never looked back since.

Solusrath
12.13.2011 , 09:33 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithrand View Post
I played beta on bootcamp although I would love to have a mac osx client!

/sign

Development time is better spent elsewhere. Since Macs are now nothing more than overpriced PCs with a different OS and can run Windows natively, there simply isnt reason enough to spend any development time on a MacOS client. That's my personal opinion, but I would imagine that the developers probably feel the same way.
First in, last out

mountains
12.13.2011 , 09:33 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Skiiba View Post
100% not 95%, you dont lose anything by using windows other than you are in a different OS. Your GPU will also work better in Windows by updating to the latest drivers.
You're still running a different OS, and there are all sorts of OS differences (such as memory management) that you can definitely perceive while using a computer.

Mithrand
12.13.2011 , 09:37 AM | #17
Development time is better spent elsewhere. Since Macs are now nothing more than overpriced PCs with a different OS and can run Windows natively, there simply isnt reason enough to spend any development time on a MacOS client. That's my personal opinion, but I would imagine that the developers probably feel the same way.
What your saying sounds like its well informed although its not. They would contract the work out to port the game for osx they wouldn't get creative and coding leads and take them away from the game lol derp. I don't think they do feel the same way as they already mentioned they play on macs.

Theres plenty of demand, heck wow did it.

Solusrath
12.13.2011 , 09:40 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithrand View Post
But then you are stuck with only windows, which is awful. And when people say the cost equivalent line, they never seem to count the amazing mac monitors/screens. They are breathtaking compared to most others. I know there is no way of convincing you as I used to hate mac until I went to film school and was forced to use one. I was dying to get back to my windows machine a few months later and then when I finally did it was terrible compared to the mac I was forced to use.

I've never looked back since.
You can run MacOS on a PC if you really want to, its really not that hard.

Your "amazing" Mac monitors and screens are using the exact same Samsung TN LCD panels that are used in PC monitors. Just like your Mac, it is the exact same lowest-bidder PC hardware that other PC manufacturers use in a pretty box with a higher price tag.

This is not conjecture, this is not opinion, I work on all makes/models of computers for a living and I have torn apart thousands of them to replace broken internals. They are exactly the same.

You are paying extra for a name, a box, and MacOS, that's it.
First in, last out

mountains
12.13.2011 , 09:44 AM | #19
You can run MacOS on a PC if you really want to, its really not that hard.

Your "amazing" Mac monitors and screens are using the exact same Samsung TN LCD panels that are used in PC monitors. Just like your Mac, it is the exact same lowest-bidder PC hardware that other PC manufacturers use in a pretty box with a higher price tag.

This is not conjecture, this is not opinion, I work on all makes/models of computers for a living and I have torn apart thousands of them to replace broken internals. They are exactly the same.

You are paying extra for a name, a box, and MacOS, that's it.
I'd love to find a laptop manufacturer that makes trackpads even near as good as Apple does. Even if you were right about the panels used in Macbooks (a quick glance at Dell or HP says you aren't, but whatever).

Holy_Wars
12.13.2011 , 09:45 AM | #20
no, boot camp is working fine for me