Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Fiachsidhe
01.25.2012 , 01:52 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Pencilvania View Post
Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.
Why wouldn't I?
I whole-heartedly support it. More players is a good thing.

Garbald
01.25.2012 , 02:13 PM | #122
I donīt claim to have any solid stats weather or not there are a lot of osx only gamers out there.
I would imagine however that most people who are "serious" about gaming (ie those willing to pay a monthly fee for a game) donīt have windows via bootcamp or normal to an overwhelming percentage.

So the number of players gained would be minimal in my opinion, it would be more of a convenience thing for a smaller subset of the players (< 30%).

If they have devs that absolutely canīt do anything atm then sure do it, but I would rather see those engine devs among others optimize the game further.

So yes, but very low priority.

DarthKhaos
01.25.2012 , 02:17 PM | #123
Why wouldn't we? Apple makes solid systems.
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED
=================================

pmiles
01.25.2012 , 02:25 PM | #124
If Blizzard killed support for the Mac client on WoW, you'd discover that there is a fairly large number of Mac users out there that have no desire to *infect* their machines with anything Windows. Yes, we can run bootcamp, but nothing is nicer than booting up your machine to play a game in the OS that you spend, 99.9% of your time in.

Trust me, Blizzard knows the value of it's Mac customers... it would never have bothered supporting the Mac platform at all if there was no profit in it. And all of their games run on Macs as well as PCs. Imagine that... mutli-platform in the 20th century... who would have thought!

Solusrath
01.25.2012 , 02:39 PM | #125
Absolutely not, it would be a waste of development time. A far better option would be creating a 64-bit client. It would perform far better.
First in, last out

Thuros
01.25.2012 , 02:56 PM | #126
[QUOTE=Solusrath;24036
Your "amazing" Mac monitors and screens are using the exact same Samsung TN LCD panels that are used in PC monitors. Just like your Mac, it is the exact same lowest-bidder PC hardware that other PC manufacturers use in a pretty box with a higher price tag.

This is not conjecture, this is not opinion, I work on all makes/models of computers for a living and I have torn apart thousands of them to replace broken internals. They are exactly the same.

You are paying extra for a name, a box, and MacOS, that's it.[/QUOTE]

I believe he is speaking of iMacs or Cinema Dislays, which are in fact IPS panels on the newer models. Since you have vast experience, I am sure you know that those are superior in image quality to the typical TN panel. Especially in regards to color correctness. Not always in response time, but newer technologies close that gap.

Naturally, that is not Mac exclusive, but it is more expensive. Again, not as much as they used to be, but still more so. This goes back to parts used in their computers, and how yes, they are regular PC parts. But many of them are of the latest technology at the time the device is designed. As opposed to a $500 Dell that is all lowest cost stuff. There is nothing magical about a Mac, but often they do pay attention to every piece used. Any PC maker COULD do that, but they usually dont.

Lethality
01.25.2012 , 02:57 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Solusrath View Post
Absolutely not, it would be a waste of development time. A far better option would be creating a 64-bit client. It would perform far better.
That wouldn't make them any more money. Releasing a Mac client would - make millions. Business is business.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

petrobomb
01.25.2012 , 03:04 PM | #128
Well if it was as easy as *POOF* it's on Mac.... Then yeah who wouldn't....

But if it's going to cost them more to make it available on Mac then there are problems.
Considering the very small population of Mac gamers it wouldn't benefit them money wise and for major game developers that's all that matters.

If you want to play SWTOR on a Mac then try running windows, someone posted a link that would help you out (it's around here somewhere...)

If you're going to be gaming then you shouldn't buy a Mac in the first place. I have nothing against them it's just that gaming is one of the weak points as far as Macs go.... Just say'n...

Lethality
01.25.2012 , 03:10 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by petrobomb View Post
Well if it was as easy as *POOF* it's on Mac.... Then yeah who wouldn't....

But if it's going to cost them more to make it available on Mac then there are problems.
Considering the very small population of Mac gamers it wouldn't benefit them money wise and for major game developers that's all that matters.

If you want to play SWTOR on a Mac then try running windows, someone posted a link that would help you out (it's around here somewhere...)

If you're going to be gaming then you shouldn't buy a Mac in the first place. I have nothing against them it's just that gaming is one of the weak points as far as Macs go.... Just say'n...
Please understand - people do much, much more with computers than play games. As a matter of fact, only a fool buys a computer for gaming.

You don't have to be a "gamer" to play games. And that will be oh-so-true going forward. The "leet" domain of gamers, especially PC gamers, is over. Gaming is mainstream.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

eadnams
01.25.2012 , 03:10 PM | #130
I have a friend who does industrial hardware stuff, as well as server builds (works at Google now I believe). She once commented about:

a) How much she hates OSX, iOS, and Apple culture.
and
b) How wonderfully and beautifully designed the internals and externals of apple hardware are.

Open up a macbook pro, mac pro or an imac (As I do often), and they are engineering masterpieces.

I find it ironic now that companies like Asus, HP, et al are having difficulty competing with Apple on price regarding their ultrabooks, Intel has to subsidize every ultrabook made to make it equal to the macbook airs price, and they are often still not comparabile in some specs. The "price argument" is holding less and less water since ~2009.

There are far better reasons to slam macs than that (Like lack of game development, moving towards being more integrated, etc)

I'm pretty indifferent to who made my computer, but I freely admit I am a fanboy of good, functional design, regardless of the manufacturer. As I type this, I have 2 macs and 2 windows machines in front of me for work. I love them all for what they do.