Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Isn't Chronicle just a rip off of the force?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Isn't Chronicle just a rip off of the force?

Lightstrake
02.11.2012 , 05:32 PM | #21
Since when did the Force consist of some kind of "alien" relic that gave powers to FLY and control things? I can't recall no Jedi or Sith being able to fly without some kind of jet pack or something.

Also, I Am Number Four was a terrific movie. Out of anything, I Am Number Four is and will be the only movie that I can compare Chronicle with. I'm currently re-reading the book now.

Chronicle isn't a ripoff of the Force. It's just a new sci-fi movie that have super-powers.

Zeppelin
02.11.2012 , 05:33 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkCelestial View Post
when did star wars own the power of telekinesis?

This.
Size matters not!

The first rule about Jar Jar is we don't talk about Jar Jar.

ReiKai
02.11.2012 , 06:48 PM | #23
I almost forgot another one; The Craft

You know, Teen witches and whatnot. Could do things like, oh, Levitate and TK objects, project illusions and whatnot.

But someone mentioned Dark City. Now, I liked Dark City. That was pretty cool. John Murdock, the only human in the whole city with the power to Tune. An ability only used by parasitic aliens.

Now then, for me, I don't have to see Chronicle to know what's going to happen with the movie. Quite frankly, being an Anime/Manga buff, I've seen just about every power in fiction be used in some manner or another, Mostly by Teenagers. There's always the Group that missuses it, and always the 'good' guy who changes ways and uses power to help people. That's just Standard Operating Procedure for these types of movies/series.

Quite frankly, the most Original power I have ever seen in fiction is Paper Magic. It's from a series called Read or Die/Dream. It's essentially the manipulation of Paper and Paper Products, everything from books to toilet paper is open game. And for the most part, those who are Paper Masters are also bibliophiles (people who love books to an almost religious degree). With this they can do any number of things with paper, from stopping bullets to carving through steel doors. To blocking against explosions and creating constructs (like golems and such) through the use of paper, the size of which is dictated by how much paper is available for use. Even making weapons (mostly melee types and bows) using paper. The greatest of Paper Masters can even resist against water and fire from damaging the paper.

Some would think "Well paper is made from trees, so does that mean they can control trees?" and the answer is No. It's exclusively paper for the fact it partly revolves around Faith and the power of the Written Word, as Paper is used to record everything from images to History, and convey a writers emotions and character. It can get very complex, though it's actually quite simple.

Anyway, that's just my take. I have yet to ever see any other series or fiction do anything remotely like ROD.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

ErikModi
02.11.2012 , 07:05 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
Quite frankly, the most Original power I have ever seen in fiction is Paper Magic. It's from a series called Read or Die/Dream.
That was an awesome anime. The scene that sticks in my head is when the mousy little librarian schoolgirl ('cause let's face it, it's an anime) takes all the cash out of a guy's wallet and makes a katana.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Mechavomit
02.11.2012 , 07:25 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightstrake View Post
Since when did the Force consist of some kind of "alien" relic that gave powers to FLY and control things? I can't recall no Jedi or Sith being able to fly without some kind of jet pack or something.
All the time. Powerful ones.

ReiKai
02.11.2012 , 07:49 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikModi View Post
That was an awesome anime. The scene that sticks in my head is when the mousy little librarian schoolgirl ('cause let's face it, it's an anime) takes all the cash out of a guy's wallet and makes a katana.
Yomiko Readman. She's great. You should read the Manga. It's only like 4 volumes of Read or Die, but they're good. It's followed by the Read or Dream manga series with the Paper Sisters. But yeah, Yomiko makes a sword out of money and uses it to block against a lightning sword. Nvm the fact she can disguise a Skyscraper with sheets of paper.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

lokivoid
02.18.2012 , 02:54 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightstrake View Post

Also, I Am Number Four was a terrific movie. Out of anything, I Am Number Four is and will be the only movie that I can compare Chronicle with. I'm currently re-reading the book now.

Chronicle isn't a ripoff of the Force. It's just a new sci-fi movie that have super-powers.
Sorta minus the fact that the force does not grant unlimited power (such as substained flight). vary fue in the sw universe could maintain floating three feet off the ground wile meditateing, Let alone fly around like superman for hours on end.

Though the characters did show the typical novalized force corruption. Overall was not a fan of the movie to many plot holes and a magical unexplained plot device that conveniently becomes unreachable to avoid any explaination. Its was just your standard money grab movie, with a stright to dvd production budget released to theaters for a high profit margin.

Lightstrake
02.18.2012 , 07:44 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by lokivoid View Post
Sorta minus the fact that the force does not grant unlimited power (such as substained flight). vary fue in the sw universe could maintain floating three feet off the ground wile meditateing, Let alone fly around like superman for hours on end.

Though the characters did show the typical novalized force corruption. Overall was not a fan of the movie to many plot holes and a magical unexplained plot device that conveniently becomes unreachable to avoid any explaination. Its was just your standard money grab movie, with a stright to dvd production budget released to theaters for a high profit margin.
I knew about going about three or so feet above ground during mediating. I didn't mean it in that way, but meant as in fly physically and travel around.

Kabloosh
02.18.2012 , 11:35 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by lokivoid View Post

"Novalized force corruption" stems from how humans generally become drunk with power over time. This concept is in A LOT of stories.

Sith-Viscera
02.19.2012 , 06:01 AM | #30
"Isn't Chronicle just a rip off of the force?"

Isn't the FORCE just a rip off of the natural Phenomenon called 'Telekinesis'? "Jedi Mind Trick" or is it just 'Mental Manipulation, Known as 'Telepathy'?

My point is any and all good ideas come from something that most likely existed before or a variant of something was created because of something based upon another.

So could there been the force with out Telekinesis or Telepathy, or could there be force lightning with out the conditioning just right for the weather to blow up a major lightning storm. Everything is connected. I kind of get the feeling George Lucas probably read a few of the mint golden years of the X-MEN Comics and then later got his idea for the FORCE.

If you know the X-MEN then you understand what i am saying. Or Did Stan Lee get the idea for the X-MEN from the old Vintage 50tys footage of people moving and bending spoons with their very thoughts. who is to say. Just Enjoy the ideas of the good people of today no matter how they created or just stumbled upon them and watch the magic come together of an idea.....

LOL Sorry if i got to deep, kinda on a roll at 6 am and dead tired cause i just cant sleep. Heres an idea to self, i need to start drinking again at least i past out and got some sleep then. lol