Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Isn't Chronicle just a rip off of the force?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Isn't Chronicle just a rip off of the force?

TheCoug
02.11.2012 , 01:59 AM | #11
THANK YOU. Chronicle is basically a movie a out some force powerful tweens.
Darth Coug | Tyranus Legacy | Scourge of the Jedi
lvl 50 Sith Marauder
<The Nerf Herders> | Guildmaster | Cho Mai Server

Gomla
02.11.2012 , 02:38 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Scyrax View Post
The Hobbit is also a rip-off of Beowulf.
Thanks for that image...

I've now got a tiny person in my head screaming "I am BILBO" as he tries to lop of an Orks arm that he's trapped in a door.

MustrumRidcully
02.11.2012 , 04:06 AM | #13
In fact, the 3 teens are the first force-sensitive human since the Exodus of the Earth humans from the Star Wars Galaxy!

ReiKai
02.11.2012 , 10:36 AM | #14
I just don't see Chronicle as all that different. In "Jumper", it was a w kid in a bad situation who suddenly discovered he could 'jump' or Teleport anywhere he wanted to go. And, learning to use it, he escaped from a bad family situation and then used it to break into banks and steal money so he could build himself a new life (not all so different from Chronicle). The only problem came when the government tracked him down and tried to kill him for using his abilities.

In SW, having TK powers isn't unusual, and you either get found and taken for training, left alone if you're too weak, or if you're on an unaligned world, just never known about.

I'll also point out we've had a number of TV series about people with special abilities, like Mutant X and I think at least 3 other TV series that were all about people with psychic powers (can't remember the names). So, even if people like Chronicle, for me the idea has been overdone and they're not really being all that imaginative. They're milking a dead horse is what they're doing, and what they have planned for the "Akira" movie makes me want to go murder their directors.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Noczod
02.11.2012 , 02:59 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
1. Wrong place for this.
2. No.
3. Chronicle is a ripoff/remake of "The Covenant", a movie that came out back in 2006.
Wrong I have seen chronicle is nothing like the powers of the force, or the Covenant please atleast see the movie before you start talking about it. Its a really good movie.

Noczod
02.11.2012 , 03:01 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
I just don't see Chronicle as all that different. In "Jumper", it was a w kid in a bad situation who suddenly discovered he could 'jump' or Teleport anywhere he wanted to go. And, learning to use it, he escaped from a bad family situation and then used it to break into banks and steal money so he could build himself a new life (not all so different from Chronicle). The only problem came when the government tracked him down and tried to kill him for using his abilities.

In SW, having TK powers isn't unusual, and you either get found and taken for training, left alone if you're too weak, or if you're on an unaligned world, just never known about.

I'll also point out we've had a number of TV series about people with special abilities, like Mutant X and I think at least 3 other TV series that were all about people with psychic powers (can't remember the names). So, even if people like Chronicle, for me the idea has been overdone and they're not really being all that imaginative. They're milking a dead horse is what they're doing, and what they have planned for the "Akira" movie makes me want to go murder their directors.
You sir have also not seen the movie and have no idea what you are talking about. See the movie then come here and tell me its like the movie jumper. The only that they have in common is that they have a bad home life. That is it. This kid doesnt even try to run away from his home, in the end he let the power go to his head and had a bunch of emotion and tried to save his mom.

Primalis
02.11.2012 , 03:03 PM | #17
No, in Chronicle, the idiots can fly and what-not.

ErikModi
02.11.2012 , 03:05 PM | #18
You know, I have to relate something I read several years ago on IMDB. Sci-Fi (back when it was still Sci-Fi and not SyFy), released a movie called Darklight, in which Lilith was a teenage girl stripped of her memories by a secret society sworn to end her evil (they didn't kill her because it was prophesied that she would one day be pivotal in destroying a greater evil.) Anyway, in the comments for this movie, someone claims that Sci-Fi stole his script, because he'd sent them a script about a young man who uses magical power to fight evil, and all they did was change the gender of the main character.

Now, "young man who uses magical power to fight evil" may very well be the first story humankind ever told. That's pretty much the plot of Star Wars, even (Anakin and Luke are young men, the Force is magic, the Sith are evil, bing-bang-boom.) Lord of the Rings. . . Frodo's a young man, the One Ring is certainly magic, and he uses it (by destroying it) to destroy the evil power of Sauron. Even King Arthur is a young man with a magic sword (and actual magician!) who fights the evil of society's basest instincts.

I recall one of my high school literature teachers explaining the idea that there are really only twelve stories in the whole world, and every story every told is a variation on one of those twelve "core" plots. Now, I don't think the number is quite that small, but if you boil down any given story to its most fundamental archetype (such as "Young Man With Magical Power Fighting Evil), you'll find that a lot of seeming very disparate stories are actually very close to each other.

Some futher examples of this archetype:

Willow
The Matrix (the "magic" being the ability to control the Matrix. . . which, since magic is pretty much the ability to control reality, and the Matrix is a virtual reality that only very few people know is virtual, this still pretty much fits the definition of "magic.")
Any Superhero Movie ("magic" in this context being either actual magic, in the case folk like Ghost Rider and Doctor Strange, or technology that may as well be magic like Iron Man armor, Captain America's Super-Soldier serum, or many of Batman's gizmos, or superpowers barely within or completely outside the realm of plausibility, like Superman, Spider-Man, and the Fantasic Four.)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (replace "young man" with "young woman." Buffy's physical powers pretty much stem from magic, and she's been shown to utilize actual magic, in the form of friendly spellcasters, on several occasions.
Supernatural (while Sam and Dean don't really use magic [except for Sam's psychic power], any number of their hunting tools are based on fact that supernatural beings just don't react the same way as humans to ordinary things like salt, iron, or certain phrases spoken in Latin. Then, of course, there's the Colt and Ruby's Knife.)
Dark City
The Crow
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Orctropper
02.11.2012 , 03:05 PM | #19
Pfft. Come on people. Everyone should know that "Chronicle" was a rip off from the classic anime movie "Akira" . Gah!. Like, really who cares about the force.

(Joke Post here if anyone hasn't notice)

Gantoris_Aym
02.11.2012 , 03:35 PM | #20
Chronicle is stupid and will be forgotten in five years. end of discussion.