Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Arena, implement competitive PVP.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Arena, implement competitive PVP.

Swaggz
02.10.2012 , 09:10 PM | #21
I'm pretty sure that most wouldn't care if there was Arena's as long as there isn't any gear rewards that are greater than what you can get with Valor lvl's. I mean it is competitive right? Wouldn't a rare title, non-gear rewards, and bragging rights be enough for "real pvp'ers"????

Airoper
02.10.2012 , 09:10 PM | #22
i hears theres is a giant Arena already in SWTOR!
Its called Ven Zallow!

" you think your safe in a cantenna think again! "

syntxerr
02.10.2012 , 09:13 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Swaggz View Post
I'm pretty sure that most wouldn't care if there was Arena's as long as there isn't any gear rewards that are greater than what you can get with Valor lvl's. I mean it is competitive right? Wouldn't a rare title, non-gear rewards, and bragging rights be enough for "real pvp'ers"????
The problem many people have, whether they actually like arena like matches or not is simplt the uproar in the forums regarding balance and the consequences this would cause. You think we got a lot of balance related complaints now? That's a joke compared to what would happen if there was arena.

Edgecase
02.10.2012 , 09:15 PM | #24
Why do you guys talk like "team deathmatch" as synonymous with "competitive PvP"? I'd much rather see objective-based PvP with specific tournament versions of the maps tuned for competitive play. For instance, longer respawn times or shorter plant times on Voidstar, or tweaked Resolve building/decay rates when in competitive mode. Take out the stupid air spouts in Huttball or something, you get the idea.

Swaggz
02.10.2012 , 09:29 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by syntxerr View Post
The problem many people have, whether they actually like arena like matches or not is simplt the uproar in the forums regarding balance and the consequences this would cause. You think we got a lot of balance related complaints now? That's a joke compared to what would happen if there was arena.
OH, I completely agree on this one. If this did get implemented, the OP QQ's would go through the roof. I just find it funny that folks who want arena think that they should be favored gearwise. If they want to implement it with gear, just make it another way to get what's out there now.

Leverage
02.10.2012 , 09:32 PM | #26
blizzard has stated arenas were the worst thing they did for pvp.

bioware should add more maps, more types of games (huttball was a great start) like capture the flag.

introducing rateds is a great addition, something they picked up on that wow wish they would havedone instead of arenas.

Ferrydust
02.10.2012 , 09:45 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Leverage View Post
blizzard has stated arenas were the worst thing they did for pvp.
Way to take it out of context along with all the other arena haters.

What Blizzard said was it was a mistake as far as trying to balance the classes went because they had not designed the game originally for e-sports so they weren't as balance orientated when they released arenas.

He went on to say:
If I could go back in time before we shipped WoW, I would have either made serious changes to basic class balance to facilitate that type of play, or if I went back to when we had the idea two years later, I would have said, "Maybe we shouldn't go there."

It was all in reference to balancing the classes.

Jswizzle
02.10.2012 , 10:03 PM | #28
I don't care either way. I wouldn't really call it competitive though. In small numbers situations healing is so overpowered. Add in LOS and good game. Better have every CC and interrupt in the book to even have a chance.

Aidank
02.10.2012 , 10:05 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TiTaNsFaN View Post
If they had arena it would only help showcase how laughably unbalanced classes are in this game.
actually, arena is somewhat self-balancing, especially with larger groups (3v3, 5v5, etc.)

Seeing as there are only 8 ACs, assuming there's some penalty for doubling up, that pretty much means every class is going to be at the very least viable in a 3v3 arena.

For instance, wow is stupidly imbalanced, yet the last time I checked there were numerous gladiators of every single class in the 3v3 and 5v5 brackets and always have been.
Quote: Originally Posted by HileyQuiggley View Post
Nerf Grav Round are you serious? What else could we possibly do after that?

Entrerix
02.11.2012 , 05:57 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Aidank View Post
actually, arena is somewhat self-balancing, especially with larger groups (3v3, 5v5, etc.)

Seeing as there are only 8 ACs, assuming there's some penalty for doubling up, that pretty much means every class is going to be at the very least viable in a 3v3 arena.

For instance, wow is stupidly imbalanced, yet the last time I checked there were numerous gladiators of every single class in the 3v3 and 5v5 brackets and always have been.
^^ True dat^^
It makes me sad that the only reason people don't want arenas seem to be because of the QQ it would cause... If let's say Feral Druids were so OP then why doesn't every team in top 10 have a feral druid? With great partners and great skill you can achieve anything you want no matter your class.
Take rogues for example. They will not do as much damage head on as a warrior or any other melee class would, nor have they ever been extremely OP, but yet the people who are considered the most skilled are in fact playing rogues, because there are no limitations to what you can do with the tools you are provided with. That goes for every class, if you think that sages suck because they cant take a sniper 1v1 that doesn't make snipers OP, it only means that you are not fully using the tools at your disposal. U would QQ on forums about how OP snipers are but at the same time snipers would QQ about how OP something else is because they destroy snipers 1v1. And that is the main source of QQ. People who want an easy fix to their problems... Melee classes SHOULD outdps you in melee that's why you have tools to outdistance them etc, and 90%+ of the QQ is really not something to be taken seriously.