Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Arena, implement competitive PVP.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Arena, implement competitive PVP.

Vaipyr's Avatar


Vaipyr
04.07.2012 , 09:22 AM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by Makar View Post
Arena was never a measure of skill.. it was a measure of who could exploit the current dream-team combos
There was *SOME skill involved in Arena* however the above is exactly correct. The majority of success in arena came from having the proper class combination for the current patch.

(MMO PvP will always be a joke however until it uses something other than tab target crap with gear gaps/level gaps etc)

lpsmash's Avatar


lpsmash
04.07.2012 , 09:52 AM | #182
Arenas are a nightmare for developpers. They are near impossible to balance and promote certain classes/specs and compositions.

There doesn't NEED to be arenas. Rated warzones will be coming in a short while if you feel like waving your e-peen. Arena in WoW is pretty fun (I used to love 2v2 before they gave up on that bracket), but it is a different game. What I mean is, CC are mostly not on cooldowns, resolve =/= DR and the game is more fluid overall. SWTOR isn't suited for skirmishes.

TwitchWINs's Avatar


TwitchWINs
04.13.2012 , 11:42 AM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by Makar View Post
Arena was never a measure of skill.. it was a measure of who could exploit the current dream-team combos and burn every CD you had int he first 30 seconds.

And they're introducing rated warzones..... So your argument=invalid.
Lol truely spoken by someone stuck in the 1400 Bracket
Bestworld - The Bastion
<Hey im pooping>
http://www.swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=3751

DarthNorik's Avatar


DarthNorik
04.13.2012 , 11:53 AM | #184
Yea, this game doesn't need arenas. But it does need better gear between a high ranked rated pvp team and a low ranked one. Cosmetic change is a joke. Needs gear with better stats for those that perform better. This patch made pvp even less competitive with removing rank requirements for battlemaster making it a grind fest.
Peace is a lie, rejected by all our natural instincts.

mastersmoo's Avatar


mastersmoo
04.19.2012 , 11:08 AM | #185
Quote: Originally Posted by Makar View Post
Arena was never a measure of skill.. it was a measure of who could exploit the current dream-team combos and burn every CD you had int he first 30 seconds.

And they're introducing rated warzones..... So your argument=invalid.
Anyone who thinks arena isn't a measure of skill, obviously lacks skill. The skill required to set up kills and actually coordinate with your teammates is much higher than running around in warzones. Sure there may be some imbalances and some OP comps, but that is the whole fun of the damn system. Its fun playing different setups and learning to coordinate your abilities with your partner's. Its also much easier to log on with a couple of buddies and pvp in a 3v3 battle rather than try and get 8 together for a warzone. Yes some classes will work better with others and some might even seem OP together, but the fact of the matter is arena is the only way to get good competitive pvp going, that actually requires some thinking involved.

unicornfive's Avatar


unicornfive
04.19.2012 , 11:12 AM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by TiTaNsFaN View Post
If they had arena it would only help showcase how laughably unbalanced classes are in this game.
This ..

Jatne's Avatar


Jatne
04.19.2012 , 11:15 AM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by mastersmoo View Post
Anyone who thinks arena isn't a measure of skill, obviously lacks skill. The skill required to set up kills and actually coordinate with your teammates is much higher than running around in warzones. Sure there may be some imbalances and some OP comps, but that is the whole fun of the damn system. Its fun playing different setups and learning to coordinate your abilities with your partner's. Its also much easier to log on with a couple of buddies and pvp in a 3v3 battle rather than try and get 8 together for a warzone. Yes some classes will work better with others and some might even seem OP together, but the fact of the matter is arena is the only way to get good competitive pvp going, that actually requires some thinking involved.
Arenas took practise and coordination... They always favored certain compositions depending on the patch and generally lacked flavour.

To say Arenas are the epitome of skill based PvP is like saying words per minute is the epitome of skill for a computer programmer.

The only true measure of skill and intelligence in life is a persons ability to think freely. When you are shoe-horned into playing a certain way, that is not an option. Once you learned what to use and when to use it, it was just a case of the first team to make a mistake... i.e. deviate from the established rotation, lost.
COME AT ME BRO
(No Moderators)

unicornfive's Avatar


unicornfive
04.19.2012 , 11:23 AM | #188
Quote: Originally Posted by mastersmoo View Post
Anyone who thinks arena isn't a measure of skill, obviously lacks skill. The skill required to set up kills and actually coordinate with your teammates is much higher than running around in warzones. Sure there may be some imbalances and some OP comps, but that is the whole fun of the damn system. Its fun playing different setups and learning to coordinate your abilities with your partner's. Its also much easier to log on with a couple of buddies and pvp in a 3v3 battle rather than try and get 8 together for a warzone. Yes some classes will work better with others and some might even seem OP together, but the fact of the matter is arena is the only way to get good competitive pvp going, that actually requires some thinking involved.
I remember at launch of wotlk, a DK was my 1st class that went to 80 lvl cause it was the most cool class for me.
Then 1 night, my pala friend asked me to help him with some arena games so he ll get points before reset...
I dont know how it happened, but we end up at 2k rating that night, and after 3 weeks, Gladiators...

mastersmoo's Avatar


mastersmoo
04.19.2012 , 01:24 PM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by Jatne View Post
Arenas took practise and coordination... They always favored certain compositions depending on the patch and generally lacked flavour.

To say Arenas are the epitome of skill based PvP is like saying words per minute is the epitome of skill for a computer programmer.

The only true measure of skill and intelligence in life is a persons ability to think freely. When you are shoe-horned into playing a certain way, that is not an option. Once you learned what to use and when to use it, it was just a case of the first team to make a mistake... i.e. deviate from the established rotation, lost.
No matter what game your playing their are always going to be favored classes/specs. Just because there would be a lack of balance doesn't mean that bioware shouldn't incorporate a new fun pvp aspect of the game.

Arenas are the epitome of skill based PvP. There is nothing that would require more skill, thought, and communication in this game other than ranked warzones. Ranked warzones even would have the same balance issues themselves, have you played wow's ranked bgs? All the best teams generally use the same setup of classes to be able to reach the highest rankings, and in a game like this there's absolutely no way around it.

So say what you want, but having experience in high-level pvp in wow, I know that even though there might be some teams that are favored more than others, I would still like to see the arena system implemented simply because it is probably the best competitive pvp for an MMO you can get. (No competition = no fun)

mastersmoo's Avatar


mastersmoo
04.19.2012 , 01:27 PM | #190
Quote: Originally Posted by unicornfive View Post
I remember at launch of wotlk, a DK was my 1st class that went to 80 lvl cause it was the most cool class for me.
Then 1 night, my pala friend asked me to help him with some arena games so he ll get points before reset...
I dont know how it happened, but we end up at 2k rating that night, and after 3 weeks, Gladiators...
2k wouldn't even be gladiator range, and second that was the worst balanced season of wow there ever was. That game isn't balanced around 2v2 either, so your point is invalid as 2s were basically just for practice and fun. If you played 3v3 you would notice that there are a wide, wide range of compositions and even if you get countered, good players can sometimes turn it around and win anyhow.