Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What is Star Wars?


TKMaster's Avatar


TKMaster
02.10.2012 , 09:41 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
Come on, I was sure you'd be above using the tired old, "If you don't like the PT films, what are you doing in this forum?" argument. Disappointing.
Im skipping the 4000000000 IHATETHEPREQUALS****!!!!!!!!DERPDERPDERP!!!!!!!!!! IMCOOLONTHEINTERNETNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! threads tonight as im on my way out the door with my fellow 501st troops to attend the midnight showing of TPM in 3-D.

RagnarokJC's Avatar


RagnarokJC
02.10.2012 , 09:42 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
Im skipping the 4000000000 IHATETHEPREQUALS****!!!!!!!!DERPDERPDERP!!!!!!!!!! IMCOOLONTHEINTERNETNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! threads tonight as im on my way out the door with my fellow 501st troops to attend the midnight showing of TPM in 3-D.
Gotta love the imagination of a child- "4000000000", huh? Enjoy the movie while you still have the ability to.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

TKMaster's Avatar


TKMaster
02.10.2012 , 09:43 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
Gotta love the imagination of a child- "4000000000", huh? Enjoy the movie while you still have the ability to.
/yawn.

More tough e-thugging behind a computer monitor.

RagnarokJC's Avatar


RagnarokJC
02.10.2012 , 09:58 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
/yawn.

More tough e-thugging behind a computer monitor.
You missed the point of my post completely, but keep on replying like this, as I'm bored at work. Feel free to send me more PM's like your last one too, as I'm sure the mods will find them really interesting to read before they ban you.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

Darth_Urtani's Avatar


Darth_Urtani
02.10.2012 , 10:56 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
Im skipping the 4000000000 IHATETHEPREQUALS****!!!!!!!!DERPDERPDERP!!!!!!!!!! IMCOOLONTHEINTERNETNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! threads tonight as im on my way out the door with my fellow 501st troops to attend the midnight showing of TPM in 3-D.
Why not just hit yourself in the head with a hammer for two hours? It's no worse than watching the prequels.
CE VIP

Benfea's Avatar


Benfea
02.10.2012 , 11:44 PM | #16
It's not fantasy, it's "science fantasy" or "space fantasy", which is basically science fiction without the science part.

Fantasy plus spaceships is not at all the same thing as science fiction.
"It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange."
-Takeshi Kaga

ForswornKnight's Avatar


ForswornKnight
02.11.2012 , 12:20 AM | #17
Maybe... Just maybe... Star Wars can't be classified within your standard genres, at least without creating a new genre just for it.

Sarfux's Avatar


Sarfux
02.11.2012 , 12:31 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
Star Wars has

Magic, Knights, swords, a princess, and of course monsters.

Yeah... it's fantasy.


edit: oooh I forgot it also has Witches like in the Ewok movies and ogres.
You obviously like to get under peoples' skin and have NO idea what true fantasy is..do you..

oh..btw Star Trek has princesses...

oh..btw so does babylon 5, and...and stargate...and...and just about every single thing in a known universe made for enjoyment.

There are a ton of swords in Stargate and Star Trek WITH magic powers to. Does that make it fantasy because there aspects of fantasy? no.

Don't know what fantasy you are in.
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

Vecke's Avatar


Vecke
02.11.2012 , 12:45 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
Star Wars is either Science Fiction or Space Opera or speculative fiction but NOT fantasy

Fantasy is elves, orcs, wizards, fairies, stuff to that ordeal stuff that is WAY out there that can never ever happen. Fantasy can be argued of stuff like Greek Mythology, the tales of slaying the one 4 eyed dragons with the power of zeus on the man's side or going to the planet of gilgamesh and taking a powerful crystal orb and blowing away the witches of kattaara. Stuff like that is fantasy...

Space Opera is adventures and romance in space i.e. flash gordon/buck rogers/ stuff like that with it having a lot of aspect of science fiction tied in. Even though Star Wars is pretty out there, it's not TOO far out there. It is still based on revolutionary things we have here in our galaxy. i.e. droids, lightsabers, ships, flying cars, memory ports it has all aspects of science fiction WITH aspects of space opera.

You see, Star Wars is mistaken by some people as fantasy because they twist it the way THEY want to see it. If they see it as fantasy, then it's fantasy. Even there there is proof it is science fiction, space opera.

Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot theme or setting. Aha! you say! "see? fantasy! because of the force!" No..not quite. By that definition we could call anything and everything within Star Trek or Stargate fantasy..and cmon..we all know it's not. Usually, the genre of fantasy is dominated by the "medieval" form, stuff like Lord of the Rings, or games like World of Warcraft or AION. Fantasy also includes fairy tales, wizards, sorcerers, and witchcraft at every turning point in the story.

The force. This is exactly what people have been pouting about. It is science fiction here, not mythology or fantasy. Why? Midichlorians. This is how it is. The "force" is a background energy in the universe. Midichlorians just happen to be present to tap into that certain ..field..of the energy to give them the power. Hence, the more midichlorians your body has the more energy you feed off of, energy in this sense being "the force". That is pure science fiction right there. Also, lasers, starships, energy generators, repulsor lifts, moisture evaporators, a lot of things that are science fiction.

No matter if you agree with midichlorians or the story of star wars at all, it is how it was written. It has a lot of science fiction chuggin in there that appears to be fantasy to. But it's not strict fantasy no matter how you want to spin it. Remember, just because YOU say and believe it's fantasy or write an article online that it's pure fantasy, does not mean it is fantasy. But these are the facts I am writing. I have done my research on Star Wars and people agree on one thing:

Science Speculative Fiction Space Opera

So what do you think it is?
While I definitely respect the thought and effort you put into this post, I'm afraid I disagree. Star Wars is fantasy. Sure, it's skinned with a futuristic style and look, but every single aspect of the original Star Wars story is fantasy. The best way I can illustrate this is by describing the plot of Episode IV (the first Star Wars movie). I've done this once before, so my apologies to anyone that's read me say this already.

Star Wars:

A farm boy finds a message in a bottle. The message is from a princess, asking an old wizard for help because she has been attacked by an evil wizard.

The farm boy ends up meeting the good wizard (who was once a knight) and shows him the message. The wizard explains to the boy that he, too, is a wizard. Together, they hire a pirate to take them to the evil wizard's fortress. There, they rescue the princess, but during the rescue, the evil wizard kills the good wizard in a sword fight.

After the rescue, they decide to go back to the fortress to destroy it, but their weapons can't do it. The farm boy then summons up the magic that was in him and uses that to destroy the evil wizard's fortress.

That's the plot of Star Wars. Knights, monsters, wizards, pirates, and even a princess in distress.

Even George Lucas has stated numerous times that the entire reason he wanted to make Star Wars was to make myths and heroes accessible to a younger audience, so he decided to set his fantasy in a futuristic setting.

Truly, this puts star wars in its own genre (I've always called it space fantasy). But if you put Star Wars into an existing genre, it fits fantasy better than any other.
"I know."

Vecke's Avatar


Vecke
02.11.2012 , 01:39 AM | #20
I will agree with you, though, that the prequels have in many ways stepped away from that fantasy model. I'm primarily talking about the first movie, the one that started it all. That one, I think, is pure fantasy, just skinned for sci fi.
"I know."