Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What is Star Wars?


Sarfux's Avatar


Sarfux
02.10.2012 , 05:44 PM | #1
Star Wars is either Science Fiction or Space Opera or speculative fiction but NOT fantasy

Fantasy is elves, orcs, wizards, fairies, stuff to that ordeal stuff that is WAY out there that can never ever happen. Fantasy can be argued of stuff like Greek Mythology, the tales of slaying the one 4 eyed dragons with the power of zeus on the man's side or going to the planet of gilgamesh and taking a powerful crystal orb and blowing away the witches of kattaara. Stuff like that is fantasy...

Space Opera is adventures and romance in space i.e. flash gordon/buck rogers/ stuff like that with it having a lot of aspect of science fiction tied in. Even though Star Wars is pretty out there, it's not TOO far out there. It is still based on revolutionary things we have here in our galaxy. i.e. droids, lightsabers, ships, flying cars, memory ports it has all aspects of science fiction WITH aspects of space opera.

You see, Star Wars is mistaken by some people as fantasy because they twist it the way THEY want to see it. If they see it as fantasy, then it's fantasy. Even there there is proof it is science fiction, space opera.

Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot theme or setting. Aha! you say! "see? fantasy! because of the force!" No..not quite. By that definition we could call anything and everything within Star Trek or Stargate fantasy..and cmon..we all know it's not. Usually, the genre of fantasy is dominated by the "medieval" form, stuff like Lord of the Rings, or games like World of Warcraft or AION. Fantasy also includes fairy tales, wizards, sorcerers, and witchcraft at every turning point in the story.

The force. This is exactly what people have been pouting about. It is science fiction here, not mythology or fantasy. Why? Midichlorians. This is how it is. The "force" is a background energy in the universe. Midichlorians just happen to be present to tap into that certain ..field..of the energy to give them the power. Hence, the more midichlorians your body has the more energy you feed off of, energy in this sense being "the force". No, that does NOT mean midichlorians are the force. Midichlorians just live inside all cells, and Jedi just learn to communicate with them and manipulate them. That is pure science fiction right there. Also, lasers, starships, energy generators, repulsor lifts, moisture evaporators, a lot of things that are science fiction.

No matter if you agree with midichlorians or the story of star wars at all, it is how it was written. It has a lot of science fiction chuggin in there that appears to be fantasy to. But it's not strict fantasy no matter how you want to spin it. Remember, just because YOU say and believe it's fantasy or write an article online that it's pure fantasy, does not mean it is fantasy. But these are the facts I am writing. I have done my research on Star Wars and people agree on one thing:

It falls within category of Science Fiction

HOWEVER, I believe it is Space Opera. Which many agree on that to. Fantasy, with sci fi, with politcal aspects.

sorry haters...it does. No matter how much you want to spin it. It's sci fi with fantasy. That's just what I believe

Remember, forums are for OPINIONS hehehe

So what do you think it is?
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

SWTOR: Out On the Horizon

Honest Assessment of the Game

So Long, Forums

JDTC's Avatar


JDTC
02.10.2012 , 06:11 PM | #2
star trek is science fiction. its technical and nerdy and they talk about the warp core a lot, and use made up words like "tachyon impulse beam" and "photon torpedo" because the emphasis is on science and technology. it investigates the human condition against a backdrop of alien culture and radically different technology and ways of life. it talks about the future in a specific sense, and sometimes they will ruin everything by travelling back in time.

star wars is science fantasy. its a classic hero tale masquerading in a "future" space setting. there are space ships and laser guns but literally 0% of that is investigated or talked about with any sort of technical aspect. midichlorians do not invalidate 6 movies worth of fantasy.

there is very little science fiction in star wars. the story is about mysticism and heroism, good vs. evil, redemption. those are not really Science Fiction themes. star wars doesnt talk about how many watts of space-energy the death star uses to blow up a planet, or why jar-jar (an aquatic bunny) can survive for 5 minutes on a planet made of desert.

or why there ARE planets made of desert, or snow, or trees, or whatever. because its fantasy. fantasy does not need to be medieval. fantasy is an ideal and guiding principle, not an aesthetic.
i support powertech

Sarfux's Avatar


Sarfux
02.10.2012 , 06:23 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JDTC View Post
star trek is science fiction. its technical and nerdy and they talk about the warp core a lot, and use made up words like "tachyon impulse beam" and "photon torpedo" because the emphasis is on science and technology. it investigates the human condition against a backdrop of alien culture and radically different technology and ways of life. it talks about the future in a specific sense, and sometimes they will ruin everything by travelling back in time.

star wars is science fantasy. its a classic hero tale masquerading in a "future" space setting. there are space ships and laser guns but literally 0% of that is investigated or talked about with any sort of technical aspect. midichlorians do not invalidate 6 movies worth of fantasy.

there is very little science fiction in star wars. the story is about mysticism and heroism, good vs. evil, redemption. those are not really Science Fiction themes. star wars doesnt talk about how many watts of space-energy the death star uses to blow up a planet, or why jar-jar (an aquatic bunny) can survive for 5 minutes on a planet made of desert.

or why there ARE planets made of desert, or snow, or trees, or whatever. because its fantasy. fantasy does not need to be medieval. fantasy is an ideal and guiding principle, not an aesthetic.
Finally a good answer. Most immature people here debate with me and go "i like boooobies" i mean..really?
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

SWTOR: Out On the Horizon

Honest Assessment of the Game

So Long, Forums

RagnarokJC's Avatar


RagnarokJC
02.10.2012 , 06:36 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
Finally a good answer. Most immature people here debate with me and go "i like boooobies" i mean..really?
Star Wars is an intellectual property that's been milked to death by its owner.

/thread
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
02.10.2012 , 06:51 PM | #5
Edit: Ok nvrm, I was typing so much I don't think anyone would read it lol.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

OutOfSight's Avatar


OutOfSight
02.10.2012 , 06:56 PM | #6
Star Wars seems pretty ''Fantasy'' to me. Just look at all the weird races that exist in the Star Wars universe. We even have genuine dragons and ''magic'' wielding swordsmen.
"It says that the effect of drinking a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Boreus's Avatar


Boreus
02.10.2012 , 07:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JDTC View Post
star trek is science fiction. its technical and nerdy and they talk about the warp core a lot, and use made up words like "tachyon impulse beam" and "photon torpedo" because the emphasis is on science and technology. it investigates the human condition against a backdrop of alien culture and radically different technology and ways of life. it talks about the future in a specific sense, and sometimes they will ruin everything by travelling back in time.

star wars is science fantasy. its a classic hero tale masquerading in a "future" space setting. there are space ships and laser guns but literally 0% of that is investigated or talked about with any sort of technical aspect. midichlorians do not invalidate 6 movies worth of fantasy.

there is very little science fiction in star wars. the story is about mysticism and heroism, good vs. evil, redemption. those are not really Science Fiction themes. star wars doesnt talk about how many watts of space-energy the death star uses to blow up a planet, or why jar-jar (an aquatic bunny) can survive for 5 minutes on a planet made of desert.

or why there ARE planets made of desert, or snow, or trees, or whatever. because its fantasy. fantasy does not need to be medieval. fantasy is an ideal and guiding principle, not an aesthetic.
Technobabble does not define science fiction. The sci fi elements don't have to be a critical part of the story, even though some of them are, like Deathstars and space battles. The only real fantasy element in Star Wars was the Force until GL tried to eplain that away with midichlorians. Star Trek has plenty of outlandish phenomena that they explain away in a similar fashion (technobabble).
Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
02.10.2012 , 08:18 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Boreus View Post
Technobabble does not define science fiction. The sci fi elements don't have to be a critical part of the story, even though some of them are, like Deathstars and space battles. The only real fantasy element in Star Wars was the Force until GL tried to eplain that away with midichlorians. Star Trek has plenty of outlandish phenomena that they explain away in a similar fashion (technobabble).
Star Wars has

Magic, Knights, swords, a princess, and of course monsters.

Yeah... it's fantasy.


edit: oooh I forgot it also has Witches like in the Ewok movies and ogres.

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

TKMaster's Avatar


TKMaster
02.10.2012 , 09:34 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
Star Wars is an intellectual property that's been milked to death by its owner.

/thread
And yet here you are sucking on the teet......
Pyrotechnic - BH / Powertech
Ariss - Agent / Op
Lord Monger - Sith Inquisitor / Sorc
Darth Wraithus - Sith Warrior / Jugg

RagnarokJC's Avatar


RagnarokJC
02.10.2012 , 09:37 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
And yet here you are sucking on the teet......
Come on, I was sure you'd be above using the tired old, "If you don't like the PT films, what are you doing in this forum?" argument. Disappointing.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff