Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Han Solo did NOT shoot first

Gomla
02.11.2012 , 02:41 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
Compare the amount of people Indiana Jones kills
Best kill ever in an Indiana film.

*Masked guy swings sword around looking to chop up Indi*

*Indi pulls gun out and shoots him*

RixoFutu
02.11.2012 , 03:55 AM | #22
Best kill ever only thanks to Ford's poor healt condition in that time I'm very glad he was sick back there, in a good way of thinking )

MustrumRidcully
02.11.2012 , 04:04 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Thirded, im more impressed he got 4 shots off at a dark lord of the sith Aka: Vader.
And in fact, didn't he shoot first there?

Urushira
02.11.2012 , 04:23 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
And in fact, didn't he shoot first there?
yeah, he did. As han and company walk into the room, vader turns to face them. without a word Han pulls his blaster and opens up..
Han also really did shoot first in the original movie ( both the 35mm version and the 70mm version ). Later, the scene was edited to make Han appear to be less cold blooded. After all, it was the my lil pony era and we couldnt let our heros have nasty characteristics right??

For those wondering, the difference between the 35mm version and the 70mm version was the "close the blast doors/open the blast doors" sequence. It wasnt originally in the 35mm version..

Sarfux
02.11.2012 , 04:34 AM | #25
who gives a ****...honestly.. Why does it bother some..

but wait...some things bother others but not me...oh crap.. Sorry guys..if it bothers you...damm I DONT KNOOWWW
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

OldVengeance
02.11.2012 , 05:29 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
The reason people care is that it fundamentally changes Han's character.

If Greedo fires first, Han is just a regular hero, probably Chaotic Good.

If Han fires first, he's somewhat of an anti-hero, more Chaotic Neutral with good leanings.
I'd say that 10 seconds of one throwaway scene "fundamentally changing his character" more than the entire rest of the 3 movies he's in is totally hyperbolic, but even your post seems to imply it's an overstatement.

It changes him from Chaotic Good-ish to Chaotic Good? That makes no difference to me.

Eternalnight
02.11.2012 , 06:27 AM | #27
It's not just about changing the character.

Making it so that Han did not shoot first, makes the scene just utterly stupid.

Greedo shooting first and missing his shot makes absolutely no sense. Look at how close to each-other they were sitting. Even the worst shot in the universe would not miss from that close.

Vecke
02.11.2012 , 06:32 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I'd say that 10 seconds of one throwaway scene "fundamentally changing his character" more than the entire rest of the 3 movies he's in is totally hyperbolic, but even your post seems to imply it's an overstatement.

It changes him from Chaotic Good-ish to Chaotic Good? That makes no difference to me.
I said this in the other post about this, but here are my thoughts...

My problem isn't because of the cold-blooded thing. I actually disagree with the assertion that it changed the character in regards to his alignment. Han shooting first wasn't a cold-blooded act. Greedo was sitting at the table, with a gun pointed at him, literally telling him he was about to kill him. Han shooting first didn't establish him as cold-blooded. No matter who shot first, it was still Han defending himself.

What the original did establish, however, was that Han was a bad***. In the original, we were watching an old fashioned cowboy shootout.

And Han won that shoot-out.

In the new one, Han actually lost the shootout and only walked out of that cantina alive because Greedo can't shoot someone sitting 2 feet away.

Those few seconds hurt the scene for me because it was 1. incredibly goofy looking, 2. had a character that was such a bad shot, Stormtroopers insult each other by saying, "You're such a Greedo," and 3. Han LOST the shootout; he just killed Greedo because Greedo can't shoot.

It didn't destroy the film for me, but it is definitely one of the only two changes (the other being Vader's "NO") that I think was a mistake to change.

The rest of the changes, I actually liked, more or less.
"I know."

Kriegskeks
02.11.2012 , 06:55 AM | #29
It seems to me, if Han only shoots back its only luck hes alive after he met Greedo. It looks like he is some kind of a loser.
In the old version he is an outlaw fighting for his life with an strong will to survive.

llesna
02.11.2012 , 06:57 AM | #30
George Lucas originally rallied against revisionism, in the sense that he was for the preservation of old movies before they degraded. Such a horrible shame that, after creating the concept of the dark side, he too fell to its lure.

In the original Star Wars, Han shoots first. It doesn't matter that George Lucas has retrospectively decided that this was not so as the truth is that Han shot first: get over it George.

This kind of aggressive revisionism, which is in itself a direct attack on the memories of fans, is the reason I refused to get the Star Wars blu rays. Fortunately there is a Star Wars preservation fan edit for each film (search for "despecialized edition") which tries to bring back the original film experience with the best quality picture available.

Were I ever to get an audience with George Lucas, I would ask him in a calm and measured way about one of his earliest and fondest memories. I'd then proceed to tell him that his memory is flawed and the events didn't happen that way. I imagine he'd become quite angry that I was deeming to correct his own memories, before I equated what he was choosing to do to Star Wars with this. Leaving him to think on this, I would suggest again that he return to the favour of his fans and leave the destructive path to give the fans their memories back and stop retconning the Star Wars universe, since at least when comics get a retcon, you can still access the originals in good quality.

But who am I kidding? George is too far along the dark path now. I want to believe he can change and will realise the harm he is doing to fans of his creations, but I'm not banking on ever seeing the original, unaltered Star Wars on blu ray. I will still hope against hope, but it will take a massive event or fan grouping to make this happen.

Kind regards
llesna