Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to stop leavers in warzones without a stupid penalty

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to stop leavers in warzones without a stupid penalty

Aethyrprime
02.10.2012 , 12:52 PM | #1
Stop trying to treat symptoms instead of the real problems! It's a really easy fix!

Examples:

Daily/weekly Warzone quests:
Complete x objectives in a warzone or be nearby a team mate when they accomplish the task such as capturing a point or scoring for your team.
(ie., prevent x objectives from being completed, carry ball across goal line, heal the ball carrier, protect the ball carrier, interrupt a bomb being planted, interrupt a site being captured, get a killing blow on a ball carrier, capture x objectives or assist someone who is.)

And Complete one of the following (BONUS?):
Deal x damage to other players in warzones.
or
Heal x amount to other players in warzones.
or
Stop x amount of damage from team mates with protection.

x == a number sufficiently high enough to warrent at least 3 games being played to accomplish the quest objectives.

{Edit}
There are two sides to this argument. Those who support the OP which is a "MERIT BASED PROGRESSION" and those against the OP who support the notion of a "PRESENCE BASED PROGRESSION". Do not be fooled by any attempts by these so called "Pro-penalty" people to convince you that some how merely being present in a round from start to finish is more deserving of rewards or rather shows more skill than a person who consistently aids their team by capturing objectives and performing adequately at their desired role for their advanced class in a warzone which by indirect or direct correlation should in fact be helping their team to win. These same people are likely the ones who wish to be carried by their team or are simply afking in corners and don't want to lose the ability to do so. They've provided no arguement to the contrary.

It's pretty black and white there. Either you support the notion of merit = reward or you support the notion of presence = reward. There is no other valid arguments which have been presented in the what 14 pages?
{/EDIT}

Make dailies/weeklies based on a combination of individual performance and goal accomplishing rather than relying on your team to not be clueless to score wins. I am fed up with carrying afkers and the clueless to victories while they sit in a corner. As it stands now, it is futile to stay with a team that you know will lose because your team mates don't know what PvP is all about who to attack or how to accomplish objectives, especially after you have collected all of your commentations BM gear ONLY wins matter to get the rest.

Even requiring all of these would make my time spent doing dailies/weeklies worth it to not leave my team as my individual performance is almost always in the top 3 for each category depending on what class I am playing on. Usually I am #1 in what ever main role I'm trying to fill, damage on dps, healing on healer, protection on a tank, I am normally voted MVP no matter what class/spec I play because I am 100% goal focused and always doing all I can to help my side win.

Those who argue for penalties don't take in to consideration the fact (or are doing this perhaps) that you can easily afk and still get your 3 wins if you are lucky. Make dailies based off skill rather than luck!

Leave the commendations/valor bonuses for team performance as it is (win/loss) and remove the ridiculous requirement to win a warzone match to accomplish a daily/weekly quest.

Another poster suggested:

Another solution would be to just change the daily mechanics though to include an option for playing x number of games total OR 3 wins. (However this is kind of a welfare solution, which I'm not that keen on.. but it would be better than what we have now)

PS. Those of you who are not leavers should ask a person who does leave since they themselves are not leaving they probably don't understand the psychology of someone who does:

1. Why do people leave warzones?

For extra credit you can try this one on for size too:

2. Why do people care about winning or losing when the difference in terms of valor/commendations/xp/money is hardly noticeable between a win and a loss?

Spoiler

skyflash
02.10.2012 , 12:58 PM | #2
Just make leaving impossible.

If you log back in, you will be in the same BG until it ends.

If you AFK, you get nothing.

If you are AFK / offline when the BG ends you get a 15 mins ban from BGs (logged in time)

Players will not be queued into games that are running.

If the team runs out of people, they lose.

That way leavers have to either log in a twink or go AFK, neither will help their main to become better.

Aethyrprime
02.10.2012 , 01:00 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by skyflash View Post
Just make leaving impossible.

If you log back in, you will be in the same BG until it ends.

If you AFK, you get nothing.

Players will not be queued into games that are running.

If the team runs out of people, they lose.

That way leavers have to either log in a twink or go AFK, neither will help their main to become better.
Horrible stupid bad terrible. The first words that come to mind when reading this post.

Why are people leaving? Because they only have so much time to complete their dailies. Team looks like it's horrible. Leave and hope for a team that isn't. Otherwise.. forget that daily for the day because sorry you've run out of time.

Btw, I can't stand people that think like you. ugh.

You "Hello doctor, I cut my hand I think I need an anti-biotic.."
Doctor "NO.. IT'S TIME TO AMPUTATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

skyflash
02.10.2012 , 01:02 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aethyrprime View Post
Stop trying to treat symptoms instead of the real problems!
No really, the real problem is randoms getting queued with premades and the equipment problem, but both will be fixed soon.

Aethyrprime
02.10.2012 , 01:03 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by skyflash View Post
The real problem is YOU, but I cant fix people.
The real problem is a flawed system design. If the quest was based on individual performance people wouldn't be leaving your team so often.

They'd stick around win or lose because they got what they came for.

Semitote
02.10.2012 , 01:09 PM | #6
Just make Leave Warzone cost credits.

And lock d/c'ers to the WZ they got disconnected from for 5 minutes.
Semee - Legacy 39 - Valor 83 - Social VIII - Juggernaut
The Fatman Nerf Dialogue World #1 8M Empire
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense."

skyflash
02.10.2012 , 01:12 PM | #7
The real problem is a flawed system design. If the quest was based on individual performance people wouldn't be leaving your team so often as to make you come Q_Q here in the forums about it.
They'd stick around win or lose because they got what they came for.

If you dont give any incentive that players need to win the game, nobody will ever try to win.

Your "fix" will just make it worse, you will make everyone go for medals / damage / heal and never ever pass the ball cause he wants to score himself.

Its nice that it means YOU will not leave the team, but you wouldnt be playing for the team anyway, so you are useless to the team.

Shunye
02.10.2012 , 01:12 PM | #8
or make people who leave get a deserter debuff like in wow. People may not like some of wow's solutions to problems but there is a reason they are #1 in mmo's.

deserter debuff that lasts an hour of in game time each time a person leaves a wz, and make leaving a trackable stat so when someone has left enough times they lose the ability to queue up for wz for a month or more. if after a month they leave again, their character is banned from queueing for wz.

Aethyrprime
02.10.2012 , 01:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Semitote View Post
Just make Leave Warzone cost credits.

And lock d/c'ers to the WZ they got disconnected from for 5 minutes.
Again this is a stupid idea. Why? Because you are punishing people who are coming to a game to have fun. I would stay to the end of every single round win or lose if MY performance ALONE was the deciding factor to complete my dailies. I have 3 characters I'm playing right now.. yet due to so many bad pvpers who don't even TRY to win clogging up the ques it can take hours without a premade. Sometimes I log on too late and 99% of my guild is in bed. So what do I have to do? Pug it. And what a painful process that can be. After hours of warzones getting 0 or 1 win because of bad players is just infuriating. I'd rather leave and find a new team with a shred of a chance to win.

Again you people are so draconian in your thinking you'd think it was the dark ages.

skyflash
02.10.2012 , 01:15 PM | #10
Again this is a stupid idea. Why? Because you are punishing people who are coming to a game to have fun.
Again you people are so draconian in your thinking you'd think it was the dark ages.
Yeah we need a real hard penalty so people like you are really hurt when leaving a game.

Here is the real fix:

1. Make PvP fair in grouping and equipment

2. Fix the AFK timer / crashes and disconnect issues

3. Make people stick to a BG until its over

4. Implement harsh penalties on leaving or AFKing.

Fixed.