Greatly appreciate some advice!

Bouriker

I was recently received some great news; my girlfriend wants to play SWTOR with me :). She has played my level 46 BH Merc and had a little bit of fun and now wants an account of her own. We've came to the conclusion that she wants to be Republic, wants to use a lightsaber, and wants to tank. So that leaves a Jedi Guardian and a Jedi Shadow as her choices. Being her first MMO, she doesnt know a whole lot and I dont want to her to get frustrated. I'm going to make a character with her; a Jedi Sage heals so we can get groups faster and solo most of the content. I want our characters to be the same class, so we can do every quest together, but she likes the guardian better. She probably won't like tanking because it might be too hard for her, so I want a respec to dps to be a good backup plan. Any advice or input to make this decision a little more easier :)? Thanks!!!

I was recently received some great news; my girlfriend wants to play SWTOR with me :). She has played my level 46 BH Merc and had a little bit of fun and now wants an account of her own. We've came to the conclusion that she wants to be Republic, wants to use a lightsaber, and wants to tank. So that leaves a Jedi Guardian and a Jedi Shadow as her choices. Being her first MMO, she doesnt know a whole lot and I dont want to her to get frustrated. I'm going to make a character with her; a Jedi Sage heals so we can get groups faster and solo most of the content. I want our characters to be the same class, so we can do every quest together, but she likes the guardian better. She probably won't like tanking because it might be too hard for her, so I want a respec to dps to be a good backup plan. Any advice or input to make this decision a little more easier :)? Thanks!!!

If you are the same class you will not be able to do the story quests together at all since you are only allowed to have one of each class in a single story instance.

NO she don't man.

She just wants to spend time with you and since you pay more attention to the game than her, well. This is her last attempt.

The next step is her breaking up with you.

Instead of having her play with you, I strongly reccomend you stop playing so much, Maybe 2 Hours at a time, 2 nights a week, max.

If you are the same class you will not be able to do the story quests together at all since you are only allowed to have one of each class in a single story instance.

Ok I didn't know that, thanks! So I guess if she wants to do Guardian then it's not gonna be a inconvience! Thanks :)!

NO she don't man.

She just wants to spend time with you and since you pay more attention to the game than her, well. This is her last attempt.

The next step is her breaking up with you.

Instead of having her play with you, I strongly reccomend you stop playing so much, Maybe 2 Hours at a time, 2 nights a week, max.

We've been dating for about 4 months now. I really only get to play one night to begin with, and I always put her first. Appreciate the concern but that's not the case in this situation!

There is a check box in preferences that allows 2 players of the same class in the same story instance. But you'll have to do them all twice because it will count as the first person to enter story.

We've been dating for about 4 months now. I really only get to play one night to begin with, and I always put her first. Appreciate the concern but that's not the case in this situation!

Ignore him. He's just jelly.

I think it's awesome that she wants to play with you. Almost none of the women I've dated had any desire to game with me (which didn't work out eventually).

Just keep in mind my friend and his wife are a very happy couple that game together, but he often refers to games as "Divorce Adventure" or "Marriage CounselQuest" and stuff.

It's funny but basically he says he's constantly grinding his teeth waiting for her, watching her die, pleading for heals, etc.

Point is, go in patient. Come out happy.

The man's desire is for the woman; but the woman's desire is rarely other than for the desire of the man.

(Girls don't like Video Games man!)

Ok I didn't know that, thanks! So I guess if she wants to do Guardian then it's not gonna be a inconvience! Thanks :)!

She plays a Jedi Knight (guardian) you play a Jedi Consular (sage). You can do each others quests, enjoy both stories at the same time, start on the same planet so you dont have to wait to start playing together.

That's not true. There is a setting that allows other people of the same class to go into your story quests. The only thing is that I think it only progresses the one person's story, not both of yours. That means you would have to do each story quest twice (if that's correct). You could just do it separately at the same time.

If you go Jedi Sage you can both still do all of the quests together. If you're grouped she can come into your quests and you can go into hers. This might be the best way to go. You get a healer and tank (probably don't even need companions out most of the time) and you get to experience two stories. The trooper and smuggler can also heal by the way, if you want to go that route. You will just have to either level quickly enough to meet up on the opposite planet or meet at the fleet before heading to Coruscant (however it's spelled).

Ignore him. He's just jelly.

I think it's awesome that she wants to play with you. Almost none of the women I've dated had any desire to game with me (which didn't work out eventually).

Just keep in mind my friend and his wife are a very happy couple that game together, but he often refers to games as "Divorce Adventure" or "Marriage CounselQuest" and stuff.

It's funny but basically he says he's constantly grinding his teeth waiting for her, watching her die, pleading for heals, etc.

Point is, go in patient. Come out happy.

Yeah I think it's awesome as well, that's why I want to make sure she doesn't gets frustrated and enjoys it as much as possible! Lol "Marriage CounselQuest" haha. I realize I'm going to have to be very paitent, and I'm rolling as heals so I can better control the overall flow of things. Thanks, haha really enjoyed your response :)!

While this is true, it's also a bit of a nuisance because even though players of the same class can enter and watch your class cutscenes, they don't get credit for participation.

This means that if you're duoing with a same-class player, you're going to have to go through every class cutscene in the game twice. Typically I just prefer to do them seperately, unless I know its a rough one where combat will be involved.

As a Knight/Consular combo you still won't be able to participate in your partners class cutscenes, but at least you'll have different stories.

First mmo char should never be a tank. She needs to start as dps to learn the fundamentals of the game. Having her tank will just frustrate her from the added responsibility and alienate her from the game.

True, but I want her to do what she wants. I can teach her about taunts, threat stance, etc. precisely why I wanted her to be able to respec DPS

True, but I want her to do what she wants. I can teach her about taunts, threat stance, etc. precisely why I wanted her to be able to respec DPS

1-10 gets you through a good amount of gameplay basics, and even after choosing Guardian you don't really get into your good threat abilities right immediately. With two people the combat should be easy enough for a while anyway. Where it'll get tricky is when you do the Heroics, but that gives the best opportunities to learn your class.

First mmo char should never be a tank. She needs to start as dps to learn the fundamentals of the game. Having her tank will just frustrate her from the added responsibility and alienate her from the game.

Yeah, this is the case for a lot of players but... if she is able to pick up being a tank easily it will make her a much better dps being that tanking requires being observant rather than someone who has only dps'ed and tends to tunnel vision and die in fire.

Personally, I wouldn't try to teach her how to tank at all and let her figure everything out on her own. She'll have enough on her plate just learning a new game without the pressure of someone constantly pointing out what to do "correctly" and when to do it. Doesn't sound fun is what I'm getting at. So let her play the class however she wants to play it, and if she runs into problems, then step in and give pointers as they happen. But hey, that's just me.

As long as you're not planning on getting in any outside groups and you don't expect them to act like a tank, then a tank is a fantastic class to start the game out as; it's harder for them to die so you can afford to make more mistakes.

However since you plan to be playing with her, I would suggest you start her out as a DPS because you'll be able to pull her bacon from the fire with your heals and she'll have a lot of fun just doing crazy damage and killing with all the flashy moves. Then once she understands the game and how to play, revisit the tanking spec. less danger of her leaving from frustration/annoyance. More importantly, more fun for her.

We play a knight and sage, we also play 2 bountyhunters. When you are both the same class, you have to do the quests twice if you want to do them together.

What's interesting is that you actually can do all quests together, even the ones on ships. You have to get aboard of the ship of your partner then (which is actually possible). We just discovered that only a few days ago.