Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Introduce a little bit of skill: Directional combat

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Introduce a little bit of skill: Directional combat

priestizzle
02.10.2012 , 08:21 AM | #1
Something I've really began to notice by 1v1'ing unskilled players playing such classes as marauders/sentinels is the lack of the need for directional requirements. Aside from back stab moves, which are really a 180 degree stab, directionality is really kind of lost.

I say that back stab's angle should be reduced from around 180 degree's do anywhere from 45-65 degrees, maybe closer to the high end to account for lag, but 180 is too much. As for other attacks it should be changed so you actually have to be facing your opponent to hit them with a single target damaging ability. Bring some skill gap down to a 1v1 so that someone who utilizes movement and terrain to their advantage can actually thrive. This is one of the few things I think AoC did correctly was not allow keyboard turners to stand toe to toe with someone who mastered movement (I'm not saying you need to begin to add combos and missed melee hits).

This would spice up pvp, especially on the 1v1 level, and make it so that someone under-geared can actually compete by using movement to their advantage.

Note: I play a shadow, and I'm full champ gear. I don't want to feel like i get the majority of kills due to gear. People who can out maneuver me deserve to get the kill. I want more skill and less gearfest.

TheRealBoz
02.10.2012 , 08:22 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by priestizzle View Post
I want laggy servers, ping, lousy performance and hideous net code to decide the outcome of a matchup more than skill.
Yeah, no.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

muradi
02.10.2012 , 10:55 AM | #3
With the exception of aoe abilities, you can't hit someone unless you face them. Why don't u go behind them so they cant hit you?

priestizzle
02.10.2012 , 02:07 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by muradi View Post
With the exception of aoe abilities, you can't hit someone unless you face them. Why don't u go behind them so they cant hit you?
I've hit people who were 90 or slightly over degrees to my left or right. I've even hit people who were behind me at time's but I've always attributed that to lag. I think directional combat needs to be refined more to create a more skill based combat system. I'm aware of aoe's and their effects, that's not my argument. I'm speaking strictly of melee to melee combat, and making directional combat more seamless and streamlined so people with good movement and positioning can excel over keyboard turners.

I won't even go into LoS issues.

As for the troll, don't be an idiot, i want nothing more than for skill and only skill to determine the outcome of fights. If it were up to me every warzone would put everyone in the same exact gear (class specific of course for the stats) to remove it from the equation entirely.

Grubfist
02.10.2012 , 02:15 PM | #5
Aside from back stab moves, which are really a 180 degree stab, directionality is really kind of lost.

I say that back stab's angle should be reduced from around 180 degree's do anywhere from 45-65 degrees
Autofacing. Kiss your backstabs goodbye if this changed.

priestizzle
02.10.2012 , 02:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Grubfist View Post
Autofacing. Kiss your backstabs goodbye if this changed.
Yeah, remove auto facing entirely. It has no place in any game where skill can come into play, especially one with backstabbing. Thanks for bringing that up actually.

Grubfist
02.10.2012 , 02:27 PM | #7
Yeah, remove auto facing entirely. It has no place in any game where skill can come into play, especially one with backstabbing. Thanks for bringing that up actually.
As a caster, I am fine with this.

AngryBuddhist
02.10.2012 , 02:30 PM | #8
If you remove auto-face you need to make every ranged attack instant, or entire classes will be unplayable.

WoW used auto-facing on channeled ranged attacks also (magic missile). What's the big deal?

Without auto-facing (which is mostly only whined about by wanna be rogue back stabba's) the game rapidly degenrates into a bunny hopping joust fest that is complete ******try.

priestizzle
02.10.2012 , 02:36 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AngryBuddhist View Post
If you remove auto-face you need to make every ranged attack instant, or entire classes will be unplayable.

WoW used auto-facing on channeled ranged attacks also (magic missile). What's the big deal?

Without auto-facing (which is mostly only whined about by wanna be rogue back stabba's) the game rapidly degenrates into a bunny hopping joust fest that is complete ******try.
That is quite a poor excuse in my opinion. There's nothing keeping you from holding right click and moving your screen to stay faced with your oponent, and that's how it should be. Autofacing leaves ZERO opportunity for anyone to outplay anyone else by way of movement and positioning. As i stated in my op, this is one of the few areas AoC did well.

Evilpingu
02.10.2012 , 02:39 PM | #10
With the horrible client-server delays right now this would not be a good move. Using knockbacks as an example, half the time someone is lined up to go a certain way and your knockback sends them flailing off in a completely different direction.
Guildmaster of <Elusive> - The Haven for Mature, Drama-Free PvP Gaming on the Ven Zallow RP-PvP Server.
Visit http://elusiveguild.enjin.com to Apply!