Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

EvanSnowWolf
02.10.2012 , 09:11 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Having an option to enable only OGRs and disable SGRs smacks of discrimination, as though SGRs somehow might need to be hidden. Not cool. The only way this would be fair would be if there was also an option to disable OGRs and keep only SGRs.
Can we please stop with this line of thinking? OGRA's are inherently a DEFAULT. You're complaining about a preset setting.

The more I see posts like this, the more I am convinced that when Bioware finishes implementing the SGRA's, there will be another 1000 post thread about all the ways they "did it wrong".
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

Raiellyn
02.10.2012 , 09:24 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by EvanSnowWolf View Post
Can we please stop with this line of thinking? OGRA's are inherently a DEFAULT. You're complaining about a preset setting.

The more I see posts like this, the more I am convinced that when Bioware finishes implementing the SGRA's, there will be another 1000 post thread about all the ways they "did it wrong".
And any content added afterwards will not have a toggle. I can't switch off the Rakghoul flashpoints that were added, which involves an entire planet of people being corrupted by a virus (I think. Yet to play it, and am only going off the ads. ) That is MUCH worse than however bad someone might think SGRA's could possibly be. Why should SGRA's have a toggle when no other added story-feature will?

Hm? What's that? The flashpoints are not essential, and can easily be skipped if you are uncomfortable with the content?

Moral of the story; if you find it offensive, don't do it.
If you don't want you children to see it, supervise their gameplay, like you should be doing as a parent.
(Last bit not addressed at you, just at the general reasons for demanding a toggle. )

And as for characters already at 50... Hm. Maybe they could implement another NPC akin to the Skill Mentor? Pay a fine (first time costs nothing, of course.) to reset the story progress of companions, but gain no additional benefits such as experience or credits from them?
Down the line, perhaps they might even implement a new-game plus concept, where at the conclusion of your story, you can start over again, with specially instanced versions of earlier planets to match your level? That would be pretty cool!

Suaine
02.10.2012 , 09:27 AM | #23

OGRA's are currently a default with no atlernative. The argument is that they should not be, have no inherent right to be - and when SGRA's are implemented they should not be implemented as a second, optional tier but as an equal to OGRA's.

Anything else is would, indeed, be considered wrong and certainly cause for another 1000 posts.

EvanSnowWolf
02.10.2012 , 09:32 AM | #24
I am not saying there should not be an alternative. I'm saying that I do not believe it stupid or offensive that heterosexuality is in something by default. Mario chases after Peach, that is not offensive or discimination. Ditto with a hundred other video games.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

Rayla_Felana
02.10.2012 , 09:32 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Suaine View Post
OGRA's are currently a default with no atlernative. The argument is that they should not be, have no inherent right to be - and when SGRA's are implemented they should not be implemented as a second, optional tier but as an equal to OGRA's.

Anything else is would, indeed, be considered wrong and certainly cause for another 1000 posts.
Precisely, all romances or no romances, simple.

EvanSnowWolf
02.10.2012 , 09:36 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Raiellyn View Post
Maybe they could implement another NPC akin to the Skill Mentor? Pay a fine (first time costs nothing, of course.) to reset the story progress of companions, but gain no additional benefits such as experience or credits from them?
!
I also want to go on record as saying this idea is #$%$ing brilliant. Right now my only romance option is DOC, and I am not going to throw away my Jedi oath over him if there is a slim chance I could get someone more redeeming in a future content update.

Shaynee
02.10.2012 , 09:40 AM | #27
I feel that this feature must be toggle-able. That way those that want same sex content can turn it on, those that don't can turn it off. That is preserving the right to choose for people that are pro *or* anti.

As to having the option to flirt or not in the NPC discussions as a viable option to avoid the same sex content, those of us that are offended by same sex content, or don't want to expose our children to same sex content, simply want to be able to not have that content. By the same token, those that want it should be able to have it. But this controversial content shouldn't be forced on people. With two toggles, one for relationships, another for same sex relationships, we all get what we want and no one is forced to do anything. Problem solved.

If this feature is not toggle-able, my only option to not have this content will be to cancel my family's 4 subs. I would much prefer the option to toggle the feature off.

Don't see why we can't try to make this game something we can all enjoy without forcing something on people who just want to play a game.

Suaine
02.10.2012 , 09:42 AM | #28
I am not saying there should not be an alternative. I'm saying that I do not believe it stupid or offensive that heterosexuality is in something by default. Mario chases after Peach, that is not offensive or discimination. Ditto with a hundred other video games.
Actually, it kind of is offensive if one considers heterosexuality a default. Not just does it marginalize LGBT persons, it's a faulty way of looking at the issue. There are many more brown-eyed people than blue-eyed in the world, but that does not make brown somehow the default eye color of humanity. Sometimes society makes things seem like they should be default and makes being different difficult - it does not mean that it is either right or true.

Raiellyn
02.10.2012 , 09:43 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Shaynee View Post
I feel that this feature must be toggle-able. That way those that want same sex content can turn it on, those that don't can turn it off. That is preserving the right to choose for people that are pro *or* anti.

As to having the option to flirt or not in the NPC discussions as a viable option to avoid the same sex content, those of us that are offended by same sex content, or don't want to expose our children to same sex content, simply want to be able to not have that content. By the same token, those that want it should be able to have it. But this controversial content shouldn't be forced on people. With two toggles, one for relationships, another for same sex relationships, we all get what we want and no one is forced to do anything. Problem solved.

If this feature is not toggle-able, my only option to not have this content will be to cancel my family's 4 subs. I would much prefer the option to toggle the feature off.

Don't see why we can't try to make this game something we can all enjoy without forcing something on people who just want to play a game.
I...
Just...
*sigh*

Someone tag me out and handle this one.
Potential talking points;
Murder
Slavery
Genocide
Betrayal
Torture
Non-consensual relations

Jenovan
02.10.2012 , 09:46 AM | #30
I think the percentage of people who find the existence of heterosexual content offensive is... small. What's offensive to some is that it's the only content (and in some cases, it's very aggressively presented, like the Male smuggler). It irritates people because it's so in-your-face.

What's also offensive is the idea that SGRAs are some special category more deserving of a toggle than OGRAs (i.e., the people asking for only a SGRA toggle). A "all romance off" toggle is, I think most agree, completely fair. Perhaps unnecessary, but fair.

For the record, whenever any of this content is actually implemented, there WILL be a big thread to complain about how it was done (and that it was done at all), guaranteed. That's just the nature of game forums. :P
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas