Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Raiellyn
02.10.2012 , 03:07 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Suaine View Post
If they even give us the old companions. We don't know yet, but here's to hoping that they do. Because seriously, if I ever play a female Smuggler, I'm not sure I could live without doing very naughty things to Akaavi.
Wait.
Wait.
WAIT.

... Akaavi is not a man? My Smuggler just hit Balmorra, and hasn't left the cantina since so I can romance Risha (hopefully) once SGRA's get announced.

LadyNightArrow
02.10.2012 , 03:11 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparklehorse View Post
I completely agree with same gender romance options but completely and totally disagree with many of the stereotypes in this list.

Yes to SGRA!

No to this ridiculous list.
I fail to see what stereotypes you are referring to. As I said:

Quote:
Sometimes you really can't tell if what a person's preference is by looking at them or hearing them talk for five minutes. Sometimes, it takes actually getting to know a person. Not that I know these characters very well...but you get the idea.
Take note of what I said:

Quote:
As I said before, what I have posted is speculation and I even make mention, in some of my explanations (which should be in all explanations, but I didn't feel like repeating myself), that companion story line/personalities could change as the character experiences growth.
So, if there are stereotypes in the list I created, I greatly apologize. That was not intentional. I was just making note of some of the companions' personalities. That being said, the only one I could see as a possible stereotype is what I said about Elara Dorne:

Quote:
Straight. Personally, I think she's too conservative for anything else,as of right now anyway.
Perhaps 'conservative' was the wrong word to use. But, she does seem very much into regulation. That being said, I have a male Trooper and plan on going through the romance story arch with Elara just to see how she reacts to it. Also, it will be interesting to see how she will react to a S/S relationship, if BW decides to make her Bi or even a Lesbian. Will she struggle with it or will she fully accept it right from the start?

Note: Edited for clarification and to avoid any off topic discussion, which I probably failed at anyway.

Tamaranis
02.10.2012 , 03:20 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Journeyer View Post
In a suggestion I posted some time ago, long lost and ignored, I proposed something I thought would work more perfectly than any toggle option in that it'd be realistic, and also progressively drive results.

I'd like to see the romance system use the player's feedback to drive the progression. It's simple, really--you talk to a person, you choose to be flirtatious if the option appears, and that "input" indicates to the game that your player is perhaps more inclined to be flirtatious with a guy or a gal or both. This would trigger tthe game to offer increased flirt options with the companion or gender(s) of NPC that you elect to flirt with.

If you avoid flirting with a gender of NPC or with a companion 2 or 3 times, then that'd be a pretty good indication that, given a choice, you'd prefer not to flirt in that situation, and those options become less frequent. You might have a flirt option pop up when you meet a new companion, and if you avoid again, then back to not showing flirt. This might be resettable, just in case players manage to mess up and lock themselves out of flirt.

The advantage of such a system:
~You don't get an awkward system that doesn't know whether to continue to have flirting or not.
~Your character can become increasingly or decreasingly flirtatious rather than all or nothing
~BW can continue to grow flirting options out logically as they expand the game
~If you want to play around with gender in romance, start doing so and it magically expands
~If you don't, then avoid options you don't want and they go away
~...profit!
In theory that's a cool idea.

In practice I'll turn down a proposition from a co-worker or accomplice (because I'm a professional, damn it) and end up being "assigned" a sexual orientation based on that.

Suaine
02.10.2012 , 03:26 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Raiellyn View Post
Wait.
Wait.
WAIT.

... Akaavi is not a man? My Smuggler just hit Balmorra, and hasn't left the cantina since so I can romance Risha (hopefully) once SGRA's get announced.
Aww, without spoiling you, I basically went OH WOW when I met her. My gay smuggler didn't really care but me but let me tell you, that's one damn fine voice actress.

kraidy
02.10.2012 , 03:30 PM | #105
Aww, without spoiling you, I basically went OH WOW when I met her. My gay smuggler didn't really care but me but let me tell you, that's one damn fine voice actress.
Is it as sexy as Kira?

Suaine
02.10.2012 , 03:39 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by kraidy View Post
Is it as sexy as Kira?
Different. Though Kira has her own charms, of course. Both of those, Corso, Aric Jorgan and Vette and Mako are on my list of companions I absolutely want for SGR.

SimplyKupo
02.10.2012 , 03:50 PM | #107
Different. Though Kira has her own charms, of course. Both of those, Corso, Aric Jorgan and Vette and Mako are on my list of companions I absolutely want for SGR.
I can see everyone you listed except Aric as a same gender option. He seems way too uptight. I just don't get that vibe from his character. In fact, I have a hard time seeing his hetero relationship actions. Honestly, I'd rather have Vik or Forex, ha ha! Elara I could see going either way though. She is all protocol but it comes off differently to me. I guess it's all opinion really.
The Kupo Legacy
Lydiah is bad... Pichan is worse

EvanSnowWolf
02.10.2012 , 03:52 PM | #108
I am still curious what other option there is if we are at a toggle vs. Full implementation impasse.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

Uluain
02.10.2012 , 03:56 PM | #109
I think I need to level a trooper just to find out who these people are.

Then again, a straight-up military type is the kind of character I am least able to conceptualize without same-gender romance of some sort, so except to the extent that I can imagine my own, it takes a bit of getting into.

Then again, any class has got to be less of a challenge than Smuggler, where the ladies just can't take a hint.

stuffystuffs
02.10.2012 , 04:04 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by EvanSnowWolf View Post

I am still curious what other option there is if we are at a toggle vs. Full implementation impasse.
Again, why does this game specifically need a toggle when there's no precedence in other games for toggling on/off PC initiated romance or homosexuality in general?