Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light Side or Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Light Side or Dark Side?

Dire-Wolf
02.09.2012 , 11:10 PM | #1
So I just rolled a Consular and I can't decide if I want to play light side, dark side or try for neutral/grey.

For those of you who have leveled a Consular which side did you choose and which side seems like it would be more fun? I heard the dark side for consulars is pretty poor and the main story even retcons some of your choices. If this true?

Alloha
02.09.2012 , 11:20 PM | #2
To be honest i wouldn't know i went all Light side 10000 Dark side 0 so if they did mess with the story for a dark Consular I personal wouldn't have a clue of course someone is bound to post a reply here if they did mess with it some how.
But I still enjoyed the storyline as a whole i though it was awesome eitherway it's a good class to play
cover me porkins!!

Sumire
02.10.2012 , 02:27 AM | #3
I went dark all the way, and found it tame, you never really ever feel truly "evil" the choices are always somehow possibly justified, were as if you play as a sith and go dark the choices are a lot more mindless evil and more fun in my opinion.
Grammar is important. Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

tufy
02.10.2012 , 04:55 AM | #4
I actually prefer the Jedi choices over the Sith ones. Whereas you're just a bastard on Empire Side you get to choose between the Light choice and the right choice. For instance - let's take one mission where you have the ability to get the data that could save thousands of lives or save prisoners right there. Do you take a risk and rescue prisoners, thereby potentially sacrificing thousands, or do you save the data at the expense of few?

I have to admit, even as generally light side character, I occasionally picked dark side choices because they made more sense in the greater sense of things.

iCanUseTheForce
02.10.2012 , 08:01 AM | #5
I've gone 97% Light with my Consular but sometimes it is hard because the decisions are much grayer than when playing Empire toons. Sometimes the "right" choice is deemed "evil" so I think it's more fun to truly make those decisions yourself. I'm going Dark Side with my guardian so it should prove to be interesting.

rhirne
02.10.2012 , 08:53 AM | #6
Act 1 as stated ends after Alderaan. Don't get too Hyped up about the end battle though. I think the battle to get to the end battle was more epic than the final battle itself.

I will say this though, be prepared for the start of Act 2... nice epic battle ensues (IMO)
On Tatooine, and in Balmorra's night
No Sith shall escape my sight
To those who follow the Dark Side's plight
Beware the power - A JEDI'S LIGHT

mcglynn
02.13.2012 , 12:45 PM | #7
Go light. If you want to play a dark consular like character do the sith inquisitor.
McGlynn-50 Consular: Sage (Hybrid)
Rauv- 49 Warrior: Juggernaut (Immortal)
Arinix- 6 Trooper
Rauq- 9 Bounty Hunter

iDiggory
02.13.2012 , 07:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sumire View Post
I went dark all the way, and found it tame, you never really ever feel truly "evil" the choices are always somehow possibly justified, were as if you play as a sith and go dark the choices are a lot more mindless evil and more fun in my opinion.
That's how it is supposed to be. Dark and Light are force alignment, and relative to your faction, not good/evil. If you are a Jedi and going dark side, it means you are more of the "by any means necessary" type of player. You're not a Sith, you aren't even a Dark Jedi (proper noun). You're just a Jedi who doesn't care for rules or the code. In a time of peace, the council wouldn't have looked the other way. But they probably still wouldn't have exiled you or anything (you just wouldn't have become a master, and they'd be pickier about what missions they sent you on).

You're still a defender of the Republic, you are just more in it for yourself. You still don't make use of the Dark Side of the Force (though you could RP that you wouldn't mind doing so, but don't because you are walking a fine line before the council intervenes).

I guess you could say that "light" Sith are actually more neutral--they use the Dark Side of the Force, but don't necessarily care about its supremacy. Maybe like how Starkiller could use it even after converting to the Light. Vice Versa for Jedi?

KennethHoover
02.13.2012 , 10:29 PM | #9
I had every intention of going dark for my Sage but I have to be honest. When I started playing her it just felt wrong to be dark for her character. So she's light, and, yes, a Miss Goodie Two Shoes, but that really does seem to fit her character and I'm good with it.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

Nyuling
02.14.2012 , 05:26 AM | #10
I went dark side just to see how the game would react to an evil jedi. I'm always impatient with anyone who isn't my peers or above me in the jedi ranks. Constantly questioning the competence of the people who can't seem to get the jobs done themselves and require a jedi to do what seems like a trivial task.

The huge problem I have is the council have never once questioned my roguish behaviour, that may change later on (I am half way through act 2), I expected at least some sort of confrontation with the council and I never got one. I could storm out accusing them of being weak and their values outdated (I hated the Jedi before Luke changed things about ^_^). The story would probably make a lot more sense if you went light side.