Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is so great about open world pvp?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
What is so great about open world pvp?

DirtyDiggler
02.09.2012 , 11:00 PM | #21
warzone based, FPS style pvp like TOR is boring... even more boring then call of duty as you lack the modes that make call of duty fun...

no rankings, no clan wars, no way to make the pvp meaningful.... And factor in they turned it into a gear grind its just god awful.

AMKSED
02.09.2012 , 11:00 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jebi View Post
I remember you now, your the guy I pummeled in UO, threw a hissy fit, and then ran back to your moms teet.

You still mad bro?

Still haven't taken your PVP training wheels off I see?

Awww...
Never played UO.

Props to keeping your dreams alive of your "self-proclaimed glory days" of playing an MMO that barely anyone touched.

Moriam
02.09.2012 , 11:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by belialle View Post
Travel back in time to the Emerald Dream server (WoW). World PvP used to be what that server was all about. So....get to work on that time machine so you can experience good times and acquire understanding of how it could be really fun in a game like this.

Just because the open world PvP in this game is horrible crappy garbage doesn't mean that it is always crap. Small group vs small group open world PvP is fun. Standing around spamming AoEs and yanking stragglers out of the group to kill is lame.
I agree, open world pvp should still be an option, but the emphasis should not be on it in the future.

AMKSED
02.09.2012 , 11:01 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtyDiggler View Post
there is no greater thrill then open world pvp.... If your not upset when you die your not playing a good pvp game IMO.....

Take darkfall for example, having just spent the last 2hrs grinding a dungeon along comes a random enemy you see him before he sees you,... YOUR HEART IS POUNDING!!!!

OMG i got a ton of loot on me I need to hide or get out of here, if you get in battle with this guy the feeling will be intense, drug like...... If you win you can't imagine the joy and feeling if you lose you will be ready to kill a kitten...

THIS IS REAL PVP!!!!!

open world open loot, the thrills of ganking someone and racking in uber loot is just so much fun.
Minecraft sounds like your type of game.

snuff
02.09.2012 , 11:02 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Moriam View Post
Are you retarded? WoW open world pvp (I know right, but there really was some in the beginning) died out because of instanced pvp. Instanced pvp came about because population balance was getting out of control. That is a fact. And I think it is the main reason for SWTOR to move away from open world pvp.
And thats why any game with two sides is destined to fail in open world pvp. You need 3 sides to deal with population imbalance.

AMKSED
02.09.2012 , 11:03 PM | #26
Did you guys see that play in the Superbowl where the Giants got to call all their sideline players to the field and destroy the Patriots defense?

They're such a good team!

Moriam
02.09.2012 , 11:04 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by snuff View Post
And thats why any game with two sides is destined to fail in open world pvp. You need 3 sides to deal with population imbalance.
How can you have 3 sides in star wars? I'd think that would be a pretty big problem, and I don't see BW making a change like that...

mogarrr
02.09.2012 , 11:04 PM | #28
lol all you wow kid just don't get what real pvp is. open world doesn't mean mindless zerg vs zerg. if you put defending pts in the world the smaller side will go to the defense pts and hold off vs larger zerg and win a lot of the time. If you don't want to zerg a small gp can do very well picking off zerg piece meal. learn to extend and hit and run. go to u tube and watch some DAoC vids and you'll see. The thing I love most about open world pvp is the fact you can try and take on more people than your gp and if you do it right you can win or take out 2 to 3 times your number before you die.

snuff
02.09.2012 , 11:05 PM | #29
How can you have 3 sides in star wars? I'd think that would be a pretty big problem, and I don't see BW making a change like that...
hence the open world pvp in this game will never be that good. I'm not saying they can fix it (they can't) I'm just saying that it is destined to suck unless they figure out some way of balancing population which no game before them with 2 sides has figured out.

Jebi
02.09.2012 , 11:05 PM | #30
Meaningful open world pvp in a dynamic world? What would it be?
Ask anyone who played AC. It was a constant battle over meaningful world objectives, including cities, leveling spots, islands etc...

Losing had lasting consequences, as did winning, as did guild politics, as did player actions... etc etc...

PVP was complex, not some precious little minigame grind for the simpletons.

Also, the big one. Well designed PVP MMO's are based around PLAYER SKILL. In a well designed PVP MMO, a skilled played can take on multiple better geared, higher level players and win.

A tight nit group of pvp'ers used to be able to take on a large group (zerg) or players and win. *shock*

Too bad the skill ceiling in current MMO's is so low, but hey, they have to make it easy for the MMO noobs and carebears right?

Also your complaint about premades vs pugs is stupid. If you don't like it then make a premade.
I do, but what's the point. Smashing pugs is only fun for so long.

But who needs challenging PVP right? lol

Point stands.

Are you retarded? WoW open world pvp (I know right, but there really was some in the beginning) died out because of instanced pvp. Instanced pvp came about because population balance was getting out of control. That is a fact. And I think it is the main reason for SWTOR to move away from open world pvp.
WOW was never designed for world PVP, so stop sourcing it as a world PVP game. It was designed from the ground up for PVE, for noobs and for console kiddies.

Sounds to me like someone has very limited PVP experience.