Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is so great about open world pvp?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
What is so great about open world pvp?

Moriam
02.09.2012 , 10:32 PM | #1
Really I don't understand why you people hold open world pvp as the epitome of pvp and that instanced pvp is crud. Someone explain it to me...

I mean the problem I find with it is that its just mindless zerg vs zerg.

AMKSED
02.09.2012 , 10:33 PM | #2
OWPvP is bad.

LoL-K-Noob
02.09.2012 , 10:33 PM | #3
Open world pvp is a step up from PvE. They enjoy it because they can hide behind 20+ people and spam AoE without worry. They hate 4v4 arenas because it actually requires skill instead of numbers to win.

Evuke
02.09.2012 , 10:34 PM | #4
^ WoW kids just don't get it.

Moriam
02.09.2012 , 10:35 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuke View Post
No I don't. Explain it to me.

LoL-K-Noob
02.09.2012 , 10:36 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuke View Post
Real pvpers dont get carebear philosophy of open world easy mode.

Jebi
02.09.2012 , 10:36 PM | #7
Na, I prefer grinding some shoebox sized minigame (did someone say massively multiplayer?) for gear (competitive PVP, what?), where I am rewarded whether I win or lose (it's like high school, mummy was always proud of my A for effort E for achievement), and where the outcome is of zero consequence bar the widdle rewards that get me closer to my precious gear carrot.

Minigame gear grinds. PVP just got REAL BRO.

Moriam
02.09.2012 , 10:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jebi View Post
Na, I prefer grinding some shoebox sized minigame (did someone say massively multiplayer?) for gear, where I am rewarded whether I win or lose, and where outcome is of zero consequence in the large scheme of things.

Minigame gear grinds is where the real pvp'ers go.
Ok fine, so you do not like the "feeling" of instanced pvp being separate from the regular world? So the downside is that we have lop sided fights with one side being outmatched.
I mean who would want unbalanced pvp to begin with? That is the entire reason world pvp in WoW went away.

I mean are you guys that rp nerdy that you have to have the pvp "feel" meaningful? Its one person playing against another person. That is pvp in my book...

Jebi
02.09.2012 , 10:48 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Moriam View Post
Ok fine, so you do not like the "feeling" of instanced pvp being separate from the regular world? So the downside is that we have lop sided fights with one side being outmatched.
Welcome to world PVP games with two factions or with PVP tacked on as an afterthought (see WOW, see SWTOR). Games which were designed with world PVP in mind have multiple factions, or FFA. Something you obviously have zero experience with.

And it's nothing to do with the feeling of being instanced, it's more to do with the fact that grinding minigames is as about as boring and lame as PVP gets, and is no comparison to meaningful open world pvp in a dynamic world.

I mean who would want unbalanced pvp to begin with?
You're playing SWTOR right? The game where pre-mades get put against pugs? Where fully gear BM players get put against new 50's?

Balanced, lol.

That is the entire reason world pvp in WoW went away.
Sourcing WOW as world PVP game shows how clueless you are.

I mean are you guys that rp nerdy that you have to have the pvp "feel" meaningful? Its one person playing against another person. That is pvp in my book...
Stick with your PVP-lite MMO's brah. Getting rewarded for participating is as good as it's going to get for you.

Moriam
02.09.2012 , 10:49 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jebi View Post
Na, I prefer grinding some shoebox sized minigame (did someone say massively multiplayer?) for gear (competitive PVP, what?), where I am rewarded whether I win or lose (it's like high school, mummy was always proud of my A for effort E for achievement), and where the outcome is of zero consequence bar the widdle rewards that get me closer to my precious gear carrot.

Minigame gear grinds. PVP just got REAL BRO.
Ok you edited your post so I will reply again.

The whole game is a gear grind bro....