Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

in defense of the prequels

internaty
02.10.2012 , 04:09 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
I get that. I meant what was their excuse? Why did they officially say they were creating the blockade? What was the reason they gave the senate?
The galatic sanate put taxes on there trade route's wich cost them alot of money.
They blockade naboo as a blackmail tool.

As for why naboo i dont of know offical reson.
Meaby it was rich in resourse meaby it was out of the way who know's.

Unofficaly darth sidous wanted them too.
Tho we could argue for hours how they got in lugue with the sith.
knowledge is power.
use it well.

Good players take any and all advantages they can get, actually. It's why they are good.

WerniesSturm
02.10.2012 , 04:42 AM | #12
I also grew up with the OT, I saw the first 1 when I was about 5, in 1984.

I always used to think who Anakin used to be and how the Republic would look like... How the Empire rose and how the Clone Wars would look like.

When the prequels came out I was 20, and I went to the theaters for like 5 times to watch TPM, and I laughed with JJB. I loved it.

And I still do.

And most people except the few 100 thousands haters do, just look at the box office incomes from the PT.
My Top MMO´s :
1: SWG Pre-CU
2: SWG CU
3: SW:TOR

MustrumRidcully
02.10.2012 , 07:25 AM | #13
Quote:
The galatic sanate put taxes on there trade route's wich cost them alot of money.
I thought part of the plot was that nobody in the Senate knew what was going on on Naboo? It seems difficult to blackmail someone if you don't tell them that you hold something they care about.

But I think you're giving me an angle how I can finally formulate the plot into something that makes more sense, for my "alternate prequel story" mind project.

Quote: Originally Posted by WerniesSturm View Post
I also grew up with the OT, I saw the first 1 when I was about 5, in 1984.

I always used to think who Anakin used to be and how the Republic would look like... How the Empire rose and how the Clone Wars would look like.

When the prequels came out I was 20, and I went to the theaters for like 5 times to watch TPM, and I laughed with JJB. I loved it.

And I still do.

And most people except the few 100 thousands haters do, just look at the box office incomes from the PT.
Those hundred thousand haters are part of that box office success. They knew Star Wars from the original trilogy, loved it, and wanted the next installment. And then they were disappointed.

I don't think you can judge all that much from the box office successes. I think it tells us more about the expectations for a movie rather than its actual quality.

Nyaralath
02.10.2012 , 08:01 AM | #14
I'm even a fan of the Ewok Adventures. I love Battle for Endor! I'm waiting for someone to really defend those haha!

But in all seriousness I enjoy the prequels, enjoyed them in the theater, and will enjoy TPM this weekend when I see it in 3D. I'm just a sucker for Star Wars. Not even sure I am capable of critically rating them. Like many others my first movie experience was Star Wars. My first obsession was Star Wars. Star Wars showed me how powerful films could be and really set a course of dorkdom throughout my entire life. Thanks George!
Khoonda's Militia
Ragnark - Trooper
Nyralath - Sith Juggernaut

MightyAl
02.10.2012 , 09:02 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by internaty View Post

As for why naboo i dont of know offical reson.
Meaby it was rich in resourse meaby it was out of the way who know's.

Unofficaly darth sidous wanted them too.
Tho we could argue for hours how they got in lugue with the sith.
And what exactly did the Trade Federation have to do with the Seperatists, then?
I Sith'd a girl and I liked it...

SunwindIon
02.10.2012 , 10:11 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Flowstrodamus View Post
a lot of people get upset about the midi chlorians. if suggest reading the new darth plagueis book. really good and they go into and explain what theyre supposed to be exactly.
I like to think of midichlorians as a byproduct of the force, not the cause of the force; they're just present when the force is around, so people thought they caused it

LordDeschain
02.10.2012 , 10:47 AM | #17
I get that. I meant what was their excuse? Why did they officially say they were creating the blockade? What was the reason they gave the senate?
Read Plaguies all of these questions and much more are answered

defenestrated
02.10.2012 , 11:02 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I thought part of the plot was that nobody in the Senate knew what was going on on Naboo? It seems difficult to blackmail someone if you don't tell them that you hold something they care about.
They knew there was a "trade dispute" with the Trade Federation and sent Jedi to investigate/mediate. Beyond that, not so much.

LordDeschain
02.10.2012 , 11:10 AM | #19
The Plagueis books clears up a ton.

To start Naboo prior to the PTM was sitting on a huge plasma deposit, which Plagueis manipulated into being controlled by the trade federation.

Next him and sidious put into motion the Grand Plan to destroy the Jedi which included starting the Clone Wars.

They get the trade federation run planets seats in the senate, naboo is at a rare opportunity being in the mid rim with its plasma.

The sith then go and get the free trade zone to be taxed, and also get naboo to back out of the deal made with the trade federation decades prior too ( the book covers decades prior to the movies). There fore the federation sets up the blockade to protect the plasma investement they had there.

As a result of all of this the worlds in the outer rim far from the core are greatly suffering due to the taxes and what happens with the trade federation.

the sith now see dooku is a prime target to turn to the dark side and use as a figure head to therefore rally more separatists. Thus you get a bunch of disgruntled planets who feel the core worlds are treated better which sparks the civil war known as the clone wars.

the point of all of this is simply to draw the jedi into a way and spread them thin plus get palpatine elected SC and in prime position to execute the grand plan and destroy the jedi and seat the sith in there rightful place.

i may have missed a few points but that is pretty much a rough overview of what happens in the plagueis book which i HIGHLY recommend.

ErikModi
02.10.2012 , 11:21 AM | #20
That's given in the opening crawl. Basically, the Trade Federation feels that the taxation of trade routes is unfair to them, so they are blockading Naboo as a kind of protest. And yes, the Senate was well aware of what was going on, the opening crawl says that while they "endlessly debate this alarming turn of events," the Supreme Chancellor sends Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to try and negotiate a settlement. Naboo makes sense because, as a pacifist world, they don't have a defense fleet that can prevent the blockade from happening. If the Trade Federation had tried pulling this stunt on Rendilli, or Kuat, or Corellia, or Mon Calamari, it would have been over so fast it'd make your head spin. Of course, Darth Sidious "suggested" Naboo because he wanted that "sympathy vote" to ensure his election as Chancellor, and sold the Trade Federation on that planet for his own ends.

This also sets the stage for the Clone Wars, in much the same way as the disarmament of Germany after World War I sets up for World War II. Because of initial "unfair treatment" the Trade Federation received which led to the failed blockade, and their heavy-handed treatment of the Naboo during the blockade which forced more "unfair" punishments on them, they were angry at the Republic and the Senate, making them easily convinced to turn against the Republic. Also, notice that most of the supporters of the Confederacy of Independent Systems are commerce-related: The InterGalactic Banking Clan, the Techno Union, the Commerce Guild, the Corporate Alliance, the Hyper-Communications Cartel. . . easy people to sway when you see that one great economic power (the Trade Federation) has already been "stomped" by the weight of the Republic. . . how long until they come for YOU? It would be pretty easy to talk these big businesses into openly seceding from the Republic by using the fear of nationalization. . . which, ironically, is the exact fate that awaits them under the Empire Palptaine is using them to found.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.