Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Intel (HD) Graphics Problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Xiltyn
02.09.2012 , 07:16 PM | #1
Hi, ive been doing hours worth of research and I can't have any help with this, so i turned to the source, and also the only game I care enough to play in my laptop. My problem is they way the terrible devil company called Intel set up graphics, it only gives m computer around 64mbs of dedicated graphics memory. Some games will only use the amount of dedicated memory. Also, the way the intel video works, they use something that allows the computer to take almost 2 gigs of memory for video, but Star Wars is definitely not taking this, seeing as on low settings, everything lags, and i can barely play the game. What I want to know is there a fix for this anywhere? either through intel, or through a game patch or anything?

Processor Manufacturer: Intel
Processor Type: Core i3
Processor Model: i3-370M
Processor Speed: 2.40 GHz
Processor Core: Dual-core (2 Core)
Cache: 3 MB
Standard Memory: 4 GB
Maximum Memory: 8 GB
Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Capacity: 640 GB
Optical Drive Type: DVD-Writer
Optical Media Supported: DVD-RAM/R/RW
Dual-Layer Media Supported: Yes
Screen Size: 17.3"
Display Screen Type: Active Matrix TFT Color LCD
Display Screen Technology: BrightView
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Screen Mode: WSXGA
Backlight Technology: LED
Screen Resolution: 1600 x 900
Graphics Controller Manufacturer: Intel
Graphics Controller Model: Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Graphics Memory Capacity: 1.92 GB
Graphics Memory Accessibility: Shared

Bronholz
02.09.2012 , 07:40 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Xiltyn,

Unfortunately the game requires Graphics cards to have 256MB of dedicated on-board memory.

Because you have less then this you are limited as in what you can do to improve performance, without changing your card.

I would suggest though making sure that you drivers are the latest available to try and get as much performance as is available from your card.

Thank you.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Xiltyn
02.10.2012 , 10:11 PM | #3
So there is no way to make this card use 256mb of dedicated memory, or no way to patch the game? i can seriously watch Hd movies on here flawlessly, and the cinematics for the game run beautifully. I know the card is capable of it.

Xesha
02.10.2012 , 10:16 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiltyn View Post
So there is no way to make this card use 256mb of dedicated memory, or no way to patch the game? i can seriously watch Hd movies on here flawlessly, and the cinematics for the game run beautifully. I know the card is capable of it.
Your graphics card can probably handle this as well in 1080p, fullscreen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM . But it won't be able to render it on its own. That is a huge difference, I can see the video and all the amazing details just fine, but watching that video requires bare minimum effort compared to playing a game.
"Hey, I know! I'll use my trusty frying pan... as a drying pan!" - Brock

Smaois
02.10.2012 , 10:22 PM | #5 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Xiltyn,

For further assistance with this you will need to contact your graphics card manufacturer.

The dedicated memory is the memory that is physically part of your graphics card. While it may use system memory to supplement this, we cannot guarantee this will be sufficient to play the game.

Smaois | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Windfish
02.10.2012 , 10:23 PM | #6
HD videos and video games are completly differant when it comes to video cards. Videos even blue-ray movies can be played on any video cards. Intel video cards are not built for video games anyway, their there just so you can see the screen basically. cinematics and videos can be pre-rendered by the card because it's a Set amount and specific data. For game the video data is always changing which is why they need certain video cards.
Galaxy Nvidia 550ti 1gig - AMD phenom II 6core 2,8ghz (3.4ghz) - 16gig 1333 Ram - Hitachi 7200rpm 6gbs 750gb harddrive - Case cooled - Swtor average - 60 - 110fps

joshstonebsaa
02.10.2012 , 10:35 PM | #7
I have the same card as the OP.
About 3 weeks ago I had NEVER encountered this many lag issues. The game ran perfect during the stress beta weekends.
So, now am I stuck with this lag? or...what?

Windfish
02.10.2012 , 10:46 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by joshstonebsaa View Post
I have the same card as the OP.
About 3 weeks ago I had NEVER encountered this many lag issues. The game ran perfect during the stress beta weekends.
So, now am I stuck with this lag? or...what?
what settings did you play on and how much fps? cause that card shouldn't be able to play this game at all. (no offense)
Galaxy Nvidia 550ti 1gig - AMD phenom II 6core 2,8ghz (3.4ghz) - 16gig 1333 Ram - Hitachi 7200rpm 6gbs 750gb harddrive - Case cooled - Swtor average - 60 - 110fps

Niccali
02.10.2012 , 11:02 PM | #9
On the Intel GMA Chipsets that are found on many Laptops they wont have any dedicated memory and can only share a small portion of total system memory.

And they dont support any version of Shader Mark technology which is crucial in rendering this game.

Intel embedded laptop chipsets are really for text and basic 2d games but cannot render on their own and most definitely cant render in true 3D

I have tried this game on a Lenovo X200 laptop, a Dell E6500 laptop, a Dell Precision workstation P390 and a Lenovo T520 Laptop and out of all these, Only the T520 and the P390 played the game because they either had an Nvidia Quadro Cipset w/ 256mb memory (the P390) or 1gb of memory with an Nvidia Optimus Chipset (the T520).

The E6500 could load the game it has a Nvidia chipset w/ 256mb but the dual core CPU was a bottleneck that made it unplayable

Everything else failed miserably and gave at most 3-4 FPS and CPU temps spiked dangerously high...

Get a true gaming laptop if you want to play this game... you're gonna need it..

joshstonebsaa
02.10.2012 , 11:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Windfish View Post
what settings did you play on and how much fps? cause that card shouldn't be able to play this game at all. (no offense)
I played with everything turn off, except textures, I set all of them to high, and Depth of Field in Conversation was enabled. I got about 40-50 fps