Hey, OT fans, you were "confused".

RagnarokJC

So I found this interesting article where Lucas claims that Han never shot first, the fans were just "confused".

Quote:

The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn’t. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down.

I'm starting to wonder if Lucas has ever been in touch with popular culture and the society that he lives in, seriously...

Edited by RagnarokJC

It looks to me its right, in both you can hear two shots being fired. One sounding like a huge cannon and the other just sounding like a blaster shot, just the difference is you don't see the other shot and all you see is Greedo being blown up. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Thank you....thank you, really...what also confuses me is that people take this scene which is like...2 seconds long and judge Han's character from there after.

you dont need a twenty minute scene to establish character

murdering someone in cold blood versus murdering someone because they just tried to murder you. that is a big difference.

you dont need a twenty minute scene to establish character

murdering someone in cold blood versus murdering someone because they just tried to murder you. that is a big difference.

So I guess before the shooting, Han's character wasn't established? You know as a money grabbing person, a person who looks out only for himself?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

It looks to me its right, in both you can hear two shots being fired. One sounding like a huge cannon and the other just sounding like a blaster shot, just the difference is you don't see the other shot and all you see is Greedo being blown up.

Get your hearing and sight checked sometime, seriously.

Get your hearing and sight checked sometime, seriously.

What? Listen to them both and you can hear TWO blaster shots. Did I say Han didn't shoot first? NO, you need to get your sight checked all I said was that there was two shots being fired and the only difference is that you only saw Greedo get blown apart, you didn't see the whole scene.

What? Listen to them both and you can hear TWO blaster shots. Did I say Han didn't shoot first? NO, you need to get your sight checked all I said was that there was two shots being fired and the only difference is that you only saw Greedo get blown apart, you didn't see the whole scene.

Greedo never shot at all. Lucas is out of touch with reality, and apparently he's not alone.

So I guess before the shooting, Han's character wasn't established? You know as a money grabbing person, a person who looks out only for himself?

It didn't bother me because of the cold-blooded thing. I think Lucas is dead wrong there. Han shooting first wasn't a cold-blooded act. Greedo was sitting at the table, with a gun pointed at him, literally telling him he was about to kill him. Han shooting first didn't establish him as cold-blooded. No matter who shot first, it was still Han defending himself.

What it did establish, however, was that Han was a bad***. In the original, we were watching an old fashioned cowboy shootout.

And Han won that shoot-out.

In the new one, Han actually lost the shootout and only walked out of that cantina alive because Greedo can't shoot someone sitting 2 feet away.

Those few seconds hurt the scene for me because it was 1. incredibly goofy looking, 2. had a character that was such a bad shot, Stormtroopers insult each other by saying, "You're such a Greedo," and 3. Han LOST the shootout; he just killed Greedo because Greedo can't shoot.

It didn't destroy the film for me, but it is definitely one of the only two changes (the other being Vader's "NO") that I think was a mistake to make.

The rest of the changes, I actually liked, more or less.

Edited by Vecke

It didn't bother me because of the cold-blooded thing. I think Lucas is dead wrong there. Han shooting first wasn't a cold-blooded act. Greedo was sitting at the table, with a gun pointed at him, literally telling him he was about to kill him. Han shooting first didn't establish him as cold-blooded. No matter who shot first, it was still Han defending himself.

What it did establish, however, was that Han was a bad***. In the original, we were watching an old fashioned cowboy shootout.

And Han won that shoot-out.

In the new one, Han actually lost the shootout and only walked out of that cantina alive because Greedo can't shoot someone sitting 2 feet away.

I agree with you 100%.