Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

49 to 50 transition

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
49 to 50 transition

Flysparks
02.09.2012 , 12:31 PM | #1
Terrible. I suppose, maybe this has been addressed by the change in epic bag contents but I can't say for sure, as I opened all my bags the day before the patch. I'd just like to point out the inherent flaw in the system:

You need 3 wins/9 wins for your daily/weekly.
You need to be capable of killing other players for your ilum daily/weekly.

Upon reaching 50, it's impossible to kill another 50 in a 1 on 1 fight. This, in conjuction with our server being heavy imperial (anywhere from a 3:1 to 5:1 ratio, as far as I can tell), completely undermines any real ability to complete my Ilum quests for gear. Allow me to thwart any of the standard "baddies are bad" attacks by saying, a 30-45% HP bonus is not (in any game I've ever played) negligible, not to mention the tremendous discrepancy in other crucial stats.

Concerning Warzones, I've gone from getting 8+ medals to <4. There have been several warzones in which I've been unable to even score a killing blow, as my attacks practically ricochet off a fully geared 50. Any game I'm in may as well be 7 vs. 8 as, almost every game, I'm outdamaged by healers.

My main problem here is that, obviously, this situation is not fun at all. This nullifies the entire purpose of the ****GAME***. Also, this is entirely out of focus with the practice of 10-49 warzones which mandate a decently level playing field.

Now, I'm never a fan of proposing problems without also proposing solutions.

1- Increase commendations per bag--- CHECK. Good job!

2- Perhaps make the daily quest only require 2 victories? But what might be a better idea is this: FIX THE BUG WHERE SOME VICTORIES DON'T COUNT TOWARD YOUR DAILY QUESTS. The bug used to be an inconvenience; at 50, it's absolutely enraging.

3- come up with some programming to better match teams, putting a low geared 50 on a team with 7 high geared 50s.

Concerning Ilum-

1- Make a daily/weekly that rewards you for destroying vehicles.

2- Implement a stat-equalizing function similar to what's in 10-49 for the open pvp zone.

3- Implement NPCs for whichever faction is outnumbered which not only aid them in battle, but also count for the daily/weekly kill quests for the opposing faction.

I'm just spitballing here. The game is about fun, after all.

TheRFC
02.09.2012 , 12:38 PM | #2
The game should be about 'you get out what you put in' like everything in life.

What most people define as 'fun' nowadays is something that requires utilising no cognitive functions and something very easy.

Challenge and effort = No fun. Apparently.

SWTOR = very n00b friendly prior to the patch/ LOL post bag patch = move of desperation/ longevity destroyed.

R.I.P. ToR, we hardly knew thee

Delavager
02.09.2012 , 12:40 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Flysparks View Post
Terrible. I suppose, maybe this has been addressed by the change in epic bag contents but I can't say for sure, as I opened all my bags the day before the patch. I'd just like to point out the inherent flaw in the system:

You need 3 wins/9 wins for your daily/weekly.
You need to be capable of killing other players for your ilum daily/weekly.

Upon reaching 50, it's impossible to kill another 50 in a 1 on 1 fight. This, in conjuction with our server being heavy imperial (anywhere from a 3:1 to 5:1 ratio, as far as I can tell), completely undermines any real ability to complete my Ilum quests for gear. Allow me to thwart any of the standard "baddies are bad" attacks by saying, a 30-45% HP bonus is not (in any game I've ever played) negligible, not to mention the tremendous discrepancy in other crucial stats.

Concerning Warzones, I've gone from getting 8+ medals to <4. There have been several warzones in which I've been unable to even score a killing blow, as my attacks practically ricochet off a fully geared 50. Any game I'm in may as well be 7 vs. 8 as, almost every game, I'm outdamaged by healers.

My main problem here is that, obviously, this situation is not fun at all. This nullifies the entire purpose of the ****GAME***. Also, this is entirely out of focus with the practice of 10-49 warzones which mandate a decently level playing field.

Now, I'm never a fan of proposing problems without also proposing solutions.

1- Increase commendations per bag--- CHECK. Good job!

2- Perhaps make the daily quest only require 2 victories? But what might be a better idea is this: FIX THE BUG WHERE SOME VICTORIES DON'T COUNT TOWARD YOUR DAILY QUESTS. The bug used to be an inconvenience; at 50, it's absolutely enraging.

3- come up with some programming to better match teams, putting a low geared 50 on a team with 7 high geared 50s.

Concerning Ilum-

1- Make a daily/weekly that rewards you for destroying vehicles.

2- Implement a stat-equalizing function similar to what's in 10-49 for the open pvp zone.

3- Implement NPCs for whichever faction is outnumbered which not only aid them in battle, but also count for the daily/weekly kill quests for the opposing faction.

I'm just spitballing here. The game is about fun, after all.
When I hit 50 I 1v1 people in my first warzone. If I can do it, why can't you?

Ancient_karp
02.09.2012 , 12:41 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRFC View Post
This game is a lot like life: Life isn't fair. Adapt, overcome, or learn to deal with it.

Moosestick
02.09.2012 , 12:41 PM | #5
Maybe it is you not a perceived imbalance?

Dinged 50 yesterday and have no problems being 2nd or 3rd in damage and top in medals.

Flysparks
02.09.2012 , 12:46 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRFC View Post

What most people define as 'fun' nowadays is something that requires utilising no cognitive functions and something very easy.

Challenge and effort = No fun. Apparently.

SWTOR = very n00b friendly prior to the patch/ LOL post bag patch = move of desperation/ longevity destroyed.

R.I.P. ToR, we hardly knew thee
Wrong. A game is not meant to mirror, say, a career, in which you want to devote a substantial amount of you time. A game is meant to be a release from that aspect of life that requires you to push your boundaries and limitations.

It can be inferred, since I'm concerned solely with PvP (the most cognitive aspect of this game) that I'm not interested in spamming tracer missile perpetually. Oh, I'm sorry. What I mean to say is, I'm no stranger to cognitive gameplay.

Challenge and effort = fun. Impossible odds/obstacles to overcome = no fun.

Battlemaster dumping on a fresh 50 = fun...ny. not fun.

You're funny.

Flysparks
02.09.2012 , 12:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Delavager View Post
When I hit 50 I 1v1 people in my first warzone. If I can do it, why can't you?
My first question is when did you hit 50? If there were many fresh 50s to compete with, that would answer your question. I can assure you, nearly 2 months after release, this is not the case.

Flysparks
02.09.2012 , 12:51 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Moosestick View Post
Maybe it is you not a perceived imbalance?

Dinged 50 yesterday and have no problems being 2nd or 3rd in damage and top in medals.
Maybe you had 1000 merc and wz commendations and opened 5 bags for a total of 75 commendations and bought your weapon. As mentioned, I hit 50 the day before the patch and opened 9 bags for a total of 27 commendations, yielding NO new gear.

*edit: And, maybe you're one of those medal farming classes that racks up around 13 per game.

iLLaDeLpHLife
02.09.2012 , 12:52 PM | #9
I disagree. I just hit 50 two days ago. Have I been getting my *** kicked most of the time? Sure.. but I've also had plenty of games with my usual 6-9 medals and a team victory. This with 3 cent pieces. I was expecting to hate the 50 bracket immensely and upon hitting it I fail to see what all the crying is about. Learn your class and others.. some tactics.. in 1-49 I knew I could just run in with some stims and pop a few medpacs and just ****... now I have to be much more cautious/careful of the situation and my surroundings.

Just keep at it and stop whining.. its not going to get you anywhere. Stop expecting to dominate and get better

Amp_
02.09.2012 , 12:53 PM | #10
It sounds odd, but if you want to be viable entering the 50 bracket then you're going to have to do a bit of gearing up. You can't simply ding 50 and be ready for pvp. There was a good post around here a few days ago suggesting how to ease into the bracket.