Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pyro damage in pvp

jorgehyde
02.10.2012 , 01:00 AM | #11
its not a matter of "doing it wrong"... the spec is just lacking compared to arsenal which is so much more effective in pvp.

pyro is a pretty brainless spec to play and it's fun to run around tab dotting people while spamming instants so i see why people like it...

i even like it, it's just straight up inferior to a spec with an extra and more effective knockback, significantly more burst for less heat, and better survivability through better talent options.
STOOL ORTEGA, MERCENARY
EGADS ORTEGA, POWERTECH
FURNITURE THAT KILLS
REKATA MIND PRISON

Spasticpenguin
02.10.2012 , 01:41 AM | #12
I have found Pyro to be a blast to play as a merc. It's so much more dynamic than Arsenal, especially in Voidstar and Civil War. I love dotting up anybody trying to attack doors and turrets. I've also found certain classes much easier to attack as well since they can't run from my dots and/or cleanse them.

It does take a different mind set than Arsenal and it's better to use certain abilities in order and/or to proc other abilities.

I usually do my abilities in this order (using Rapid Shots when needed to keep heat manageable):
  1. Incendiary Missile
  2. Thermal Detonator
  3. Rail Shot
  4. Unload (followed by Power Shot if it doesn't proc Rail Shot again)

I also use Fusion missile on targets who are lower on health and in groups.

I'd say keep at it and try different stuff. I've done both specs for many hours of pvp and Pyrotech is far from useless.

ugig
02.10.2012 , 02:38 AM | #13
Try adding in Unload>---->Power Shot after that rail shot you will see some more kills and if its a particularly hard target I soften em up with a lil insta no cost fusion missile.

LarkBenson
02.10.2012 , 08:01 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by jorgehyde View Post
its not a matter of "doing it wrong"... the spec is just lacking compared to arsenal which is so much more effective in pvp.

pyro is a pretty brainless spec to play and it's fun to run around tab dotting people while spamming instants so i see why people like it...

i even like it, it's just straight up inferior to a spec with an extra and more effective knockback, significantly more burst for less heat, and better survivability through better talent options.
Brainless spec? Compared to arsenal? Is that a joke? Tabbing and dotting is just about the least effective way to play the spec unless you're just about dead and need to get dots on people trying to take an objective. Otherwise, like I said, you're doing it wrong. The spec isn't lacking, your understanding of the spec and how to use it properly is.

And as for saying arsenal has more survivability? That's the icing on your fail cake.

Chimrichalds
02.10.2012 , 11:01 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Spasticpenguin View Post
I have found Pyro to be a blast to play as a merc. It's so much more dynamic than Arsenal, especially in Voidstar and Civil War. I love dotting up anybody trying to attack doors and turrets. I've also found certain classes much easier to attack as well since they can't run from my dots and/or cleanse them.

It does take a different mind set than Arsenal and it's better to use certain abilities in order and/or to proc other abilities.

I usually do my abilities in this order (using Rapid Shots when needed to keep heat manageable):
  1. Incendiary Missile
  2. Thermal Detonator
  3. Rail Shot
  4. Unload (followed by Power Shot if it doesn't proc Rail Shot again)

I also use Fusion missile on targets who are lower on health and in groups.

I'd say keep at it and try different stuff. I've done both specs for many hours of pvp and Pyrotech is far from useless.
^This

Pyro is great and anyone that disagrees in favor of Arsenal is fooling themselves. That little combo above can drop someone just as quick as any other class if you're smart about it. Some people might be turned off by the ramp up time, but I find it very satisfying. For example:

You spot a Sage on an upper level during a hutball match, shooting rocks at people and hurting your team. You throw IM on, and they ignore you. You throw TD on and they still ignore you. They only notice once that detonates and after you shoot an insta-cast fusion missle at them, and by then, they're done. I can only imagine the look of surprise on that kid's face.

Pyro is a thinking man's playstyle and if it's too hard for you, maybe you should try something easier, like minecraft.

ShizzySupra
02.14.2012 , 12:58 PM | #16
I recently converted over from a "PvP" spec Arsenal to Pyro. I was very apprehensive but I made the switch to see if the grass was greener. I can say that I love it so much more. Geared Sorcs and Marauders can still beast on me but not at all as easy as when I was Arsenal. The interrupts/stuns/etc really effected the whole tracer missile thing. I can block caps a lot easier. My average damage has gone up significantly (and all single target for the most part).

In some instances Arsenal is way better, like if you are up on a catwalk in Huttball with a zerg group below you and you can just Tracer Missile/Heatseeker Missile away.

I don't exactly know what to chalk it up to but I feel a lot better in PvP. In PvE I think Arsenal is better, just my personal opinion with my playstyle.

TempestasSilva
02.14.2012 , 01:31 PM | #17
My personal pet peeve is PvPers that do WZs and worry about total damage/kills. Reminder folks, there are objectives. Assuming the Op is talking about Illum pvp and moving on...

Keep in mind that just because you see lower numbers does not mean that you are doing less damage, especially with a DoT class. You want to see a lot of little numbers and mix in 2.5k here and there.
Devs: Please make healing more interesting and fun by increasing options and meaningful decisions. Let a good healer be judged by the decisions they make, not who pressed the buttons in a certain order. Or which class has the most output.

ShizzySupra
02.14.2012 , 03:22 PM | #18
Agree. I play for objectives always so if my AVERAGE damage/kills/etc is higher then I know the spec is suiting me better all around.

Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
My personal pet peeve is PvPers that do WZs and worry about total damage/kills. Reminder folks, there are objectives. Assuming the Op is talking about Illum pvp and moving on...

Keep in mind that just because you see lower numbers does not mean that you are doing less damage, especially with a DoT class. You want to see a lot of little numbers and mix in 2.5k here and there.

omarunaoe
02.14.2012 , 04:01 PM | #19
My merc is only 34, but I've experienced similar issues... Mainly because pyro spec is great for putting pressure on healers so that others can mop up the rest of the enemy team. Dots + decent burst mean that they have no choice but to spam on themselves, leaving their former targets vulnerable to your teammates.

Not getting kills doesn't mean you're bad. Not topping damage doesn't mean you're bad. The pyromerc is set up to be one of the best hit and run ranged dpsers in the game. Play to your strengths and you'll help your team win. We're far more effective on the move, harrying key members of the opposition with our instants and knockback than we are as catwalk turrets.

lijahrobinson
02.16.2012 , 11:13 AM | #20
I guess you really have to understand your role in warzones to really shine. Your role is to break the enemy. You dont care about 1 vs 1 fights, you don't really care about running the ball (unless you have a clear path), thats what the speedsters and tank builds are for and you lack the CC breaks to carry it though the enemy. Not saying that you cant in some situations but its not the primary goal. You care about protecting the runners, making the healers focus on healing themselves instead of the party and clearing the way. I have never approached a 500k damage or a 60+ kill game as an arsenal but as a pyrotech very doable.

Your burst is better as a pyro than it is as an arsenal. We have a three second span tha we can do like 5-12k damage (high end is assuming crits) with Incend > Thermal > powershot x2 > Rail shot. Follow up with unload and a possible railshot again and you can take down almost anything but good healing spec players and heavy tanks.

People think that you are incend missile everyone that moves and thats just not true. If you are, your overheated by missile 3 and rapid shooting for about 8 seconds.