Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

General PvP Skill Level

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
General PvP Skill Level

Kakokun
02.09.2012 , 07:37 AM | #11
You actually believe the words you're typing? The way you praise WoW like you actually believe it yourself is puzzling to me. While it's not that great in SWtOR it's still a lot better than in WoW. The only thing WoW has going for it in terms of PvP is responsive gameplay.

Sabbathius
02.09.2012 , 07:39 AM | #12
It's a short and easy game, with VERY little content.

I just hit 46 on my Marauder, and typed /played and saw I was still about 11 mins under a 3-day mark. And this is a char I very frequently left AFK (at least 3 times last week alone) until the game kicked me out to the character selection screen. That's VERY short. Less than 3 days /played and within 4 levels of max? Silly.

As I was doing my class quest on Voss, I walk into a dungeon. And there's doors for Bounty Hunters, doors for Operatives, doors for Inquisitors. No matter what class you are, you WILL end up in that dungeon. So the bulk of the content is totally rehashed, and replay value is nonexistent. Compare that to WoW, where a class quest took you places in the world nobody went. Huge replay value right there.

All in all, SWTOR has been a disappointment so far. And class stories, while nice, are not up to Mass Effect or Witcher standards, at least IMHO.

As for general PvP level being bad, what do you expect? This is a game that gives every player a babysitter NPC to DPS for them, or tank for them, or heal them! A game that marks quest objectives on the minimap and makes them blink and glow. Something vanilla WoW didn't do - you had to find the quest item visually, based on VERY vague clues.

I'm going to compare Voidstar to Strand of the Ancients. The general premise is the same. Attackers try to bust through doors. Defenders try to stop them. Only in WoW, defenders are free to move around between ALL doors, not just the nearest two. Attackers can plant bombs anywhere along the door, not just one point. Attackers have siege vehicles, and defenders have stationary cannons. Graveyards are strategically placed. Etc., etc. Guess which game fosters more strategy and teamwork, and requires more skill? Also, which game has rated matches, and which one doesn't?

Yeah, I know, the game just came out, blah blah. After so many years and so much money, if they spent it judiciously instead of sinking it all into the voiceovers that 90% of players will just skip anyway, it would have been better. As it is, it was a nice time killer but lately I find myself losing interest. In other games, getting to 50 is where the game really begins. In SWTOR, getting to 50 is where the game ends - story, content, etc.

Having said that, the game surpassed my expectations. I expected it to last a month, and be dead in 3. So far, we're nearing a 2 month mark, and it's still more or less alive. Maybe the SWTOR fanboys will keep this one afloat. Who knows. But I'm pretty sure March I will spend in Mass Effect 3 and not this.

ItachiZaku
02.09.2012 , 07:40 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Silverspar View Post
You know, the OP sounds like he's one of those WoW PvPers, who believe that is a skill based game. But really, this has been a gear based game and people knew that. But honestly, anyone claiming that skill is removed just because they can mash a few buttons doesn't seem to get it. Skill is using tactics, your abilities and so forth smartly. Anytime I see someone preach about the lack of skill in this game because they got yanked into a fire trap or pushed off a ledge I just roll my eyes, because they are one of those people that prefer the herp a derp method of standing toe to toe and trading blows with people.
This is a reskinned WoW. I just happen to like this skin much more. There is absolutely nothing significantly different between the two, otherwise. Rift had huge differences, SWTOR, not so much.

If you have the skill, you will beat the gear. If you have the skill and no gear and they have some skill but a ton of gear, it'll end up close. It is like that in all MMOs with PVP specific gear.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

Soulaufein
02.09.2012 , 07:47 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Deshie View Post
I have characters on both side and both are bad as the other. I mean people struggle to get 4-6 medals in games whilst people with brain that have actually played PvP in other games are getting 8-11 medals each game without any effort. Just goes to show how bad some people are.
This is where I stopped reading. Getting 8-11 medals does not mean AT ALL that any player knows how to PvP. It just means that the player knows the system and goes for the jugular. This "idea" you are trying to pass on is wrong in so many ways - there are, say, specs that cannot get in a ... legitimate - way the 8-11 medals. And by legitimate I mean in a way the the medals actually mean the player is helping/helped your team. Again, this observation is SO wrong in som many ways its not even funny, and just shows that you really know little about the game's PvP. Sorry but its the truth.
Sentinel Bashar <Elise> @ The Ravager EU

Olympic
02.09.2012 , 07:49 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Silverspar View Post
World PvP, you mean based on the side that brings the biggest team? You know, one can easily turn that argument around on you so really don't call someone a chest thumper one way then try and crow about how the other is so much better.
You are on the inept ones that thinks its all about who brings the numbers.

ImURmaster
02.09.2012 , 07:59 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Olympic View Post
You are on the inept ones that thinks its all about who brings the numbers.
You mean like yesterday when I was soloing in Ilum yesterday and my record was 3 wins and ~100 loses....

Was 3-1 when numbers where equal though

Open PvP is almost entirely about numbers.

Badlander
02.09.2012 , 08:03 AM | #17
Man they really need to change the name of this forum from PVP to the Whine table
VULKAR HIGHWAY PVP SERVER
PANTHER - MARAUDER - ANNIHILATION SPEC

Adzzy
02.09.2012 , 08:06 AM | #18
most people simply wont pick up their class for several months, and then add some after that to understand what other classes can also do.

Quite a few mmos ive ended up coming back after 12 months because there tends to be normalisation in the class knowledge by then, it's nothing really new.
Keys are lame

Deshie
02.09.2012 , 08:09 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TotalImmortal View Post
I agree. SWTOR is a big disappointment.
Indeed it is.
Rahul - Assassin - Kai Khan

Deshie
02.09.2012 , 08:10 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Dispatched View Post
Role a Jedi Sentinel Watchman and come back here.
Just because you have 10 more binds than other classes in SWTOR doesnt make it the most complex class to ever exist it's on par with average classes in other MMOs
Rahul - Assassin - Kai Khan