Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alot people forget that this game is new...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Alot people forget that this game is new...

Dekkau
02.08.2012 , 06:14 PM | #21
Arguments like these amuse me cus its like saying you shouldn't complain about a game that looks and performs like Final Fantasy VIII some seven years later. Come on.. these guys have to not just keep up with the pack but run ahead of the game. So for a next gen it has to be better and more refined than WoW. I mean WoW is stuck in a game format that like is as old as the hills. But today Istarted playing the game for the first time and find combat very poor compared to what I have been used to with Rift. And the game interface and general functions of Rift are way superior to this game. I play WoW and I expect it to be less polished than Rift. But then I expected this game to be light years ahead of Rift... It aint.

Doesn't mean its any less entertaining, but it does look very dated and the combat is too clunky and basic. The animations are very slow. Dunno if I'll keep playing. We'll see.

Also the characters are really wooden and lack character other than when they are talking with the voice over. They lack fluid quality and the gear looks really drab and the quality of the clothing appears very poor. The faces are all the same by the way... for everyone. So strange.

Glzmo
02.08.2012 , 06:16 PM | #22
A new game needs to have at least the features a game that was previously released has.

A game that's released in 2011/2012 should be measured against games in 2011/2012 not games in 2003/2004.

Besides that, TOR is still lacking many features that other games of the same ilk had at launch back in 2003 like chat bubbles or post-creation character customization like barber shops/plastical surgery/image design. And while WOW may not have had that at launch, other, even older games like Star Wars Galaxies did.

Tygranir
02.08.2012 , 06:16 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Evray View Post
You say: This game is new, heres my long list of excuses as to why they screwed up making a game.

I say: This game has been in development for 4 years, doesn't have extremely basic features, was rushed out the door, and has been out 2 months and has had more patches that BREAK the game than patches that fix it.
And you still subbed. You still lurk the forums. They must have done something right.
I am eating your canon, and pooping your immersion.

PeacefulViolence
02.08.2012 , 06:17 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Dekkau View Post
Arguments like these amuse me cus its like saying you shouldn't complain about a game that looks and performs like Final Fantasy VIII some seven years later. Come on.. these guys have to not just keep up with the pack but run ahead of the game. So for a next gen it has to be better and more refined than WoW. I mean WoW is stuck in a game format that like is as old as the hills. But today Istarted playing the game for the first time and find combat very poor compared to what I have been used to with Rift. And the game interface and general functions of Rift are way superior to this game. I play WoW and I expect it to be less polished than Rift. But then I expected this game to be light years ahead of Rift... It aint.

Doesn't mean its any less entertaining, but it does look very dated and the combat is too clunky and basic. The animations are very slow. Dunno if I'll keep playing. We'll see.

Also the characters are really wooden and lack character other than when they are talking with the voice over. They lack fluid quality and the gear looks really drab and the quality of the clothing appears very poor. The faces are all the same by the way... for everyone. So strange.

Right now it looks like the primary focus of this game was the voice acting and main class quests, it's like they just ignored everything else and said "We're Bioware, this is what we do" well guess what Bioware you don't do that in an MMO.

Kanshan
02.08.2012 , 06:18 PM | #25
Much as I like this game.
WoW launched in 04
SW:Tor in 11' almost 12'
The ideas of warzones and combat logs and addons wasn't common in MMOs when WoW launched. It is now, no reason not to have it. Doesn't mean they won't add it, but it would have been nice to have before
Want to post feed back of why you're quitting? For the love of all that is good, post here http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349

ImpactHound
02.08.2012 , 06:20 PM | #26
Again, compare TOR to Rift, which also came out in 2011 and had all of the requested UI and engine functions people were expecting at launch.

Do not derail to Rift subscriber numbers in an attempt to avoid the fact that TOR launched without a lot of core functionality that has proven to be launchable by other developers and games.

Tygranir
02.08.2012 , 06:22 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
Again, compare TOR to Rift, which also came out in 2011 and had all of the requested UI and engine functions people were expecting at launch.

Do not derail to Rift subscriber numbers in an attempt to avoid the fact that TOR launched without a lot of core functionality that has proven to be launchable by other developers and games.
Yes, Rift had all that functionality, but was lacking in plain enjoyability. I will take enjoyability over combat log any day.
I am eating your canon, and pooping your immersion.

kurzis
02.08.2012 , 06:24 PM | #28
I think the problem is bioware lost sight of how to create a modern MMORPG

they're a story driven RPG company and focused far too much on crap like full voice acting than basic MMORPG functionality

Shivetya
02.08.2012 , 06:25 PM | #29
Why do people keep trying to find new ways to excuse incompetence and the fact that Bioware is so obviously out of their league? Do you score points for this?

kirorx
02.08.2012 , 06:26 PM | #30
[QUOTE=TotalKitty;2662620]You still cannot compare TOR launch to WoW launch.
Want to know why?

Because when you release game with the intention of beating the heavy competition, then you have something that can compete with them. Such as a LFG tool or anything else this sinking ship is lacking.
THEN you add something new and innovative and win.

If you do not start out on a competitive level from the start, you're years behind.[/QUOTE]

/Ding. You sir are correct