Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tips about CC

Mohawksinspace
02.08.2012 , 01:52 PM | #1
I have noticed in War zones a large number of players who do not know how to use CC effectively so I am going to drop a few tips for those who need them.

Firstly,

Just because a stun, knock-back, or incapacitating move is off CD DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD USE IT. When you use a CC effect, use it for a purpose. This will make you a better PvP'r.

With Regards to Heads Up Fights,
Stuns and incapacitates can not only be used to set someone up for your damage rotation, but also for defending against another players damage combo! If you see another player's buffs fill up with relics, procs, etc. He is probably about to unload his best skills on you, now would be a good time to stun him and pop defensive CDs/run until his temporary buffs wear off.

With Regards to Killing Healers,
Additionally, they can be used as interrupts against healers! A common mistake by many players is to unload all their stuns up front just to keep the healer from moving for enough time to drop their biggest damage attacks, but those attacks are often not enough to make the kill and so they are unable to kill the healer!

It's okay if they use a couple weak heals, your goal is too make your DPS exceed their HPS for enough time for them to die, that is it. Sustain your dps at a decent level and then begin. Use your stuns and CCs in combination with your interrupt ability to only use on the healer when they are in the midst of casting a heal, or if they proc a free cast! Once you are ready to unload on the healer, you can interrupt -> wait for heal -> stun -> wait -> stun -> wait -> incap -> finish.

For Focus Firing,
If your group has priority targets, it is a good idea to slow down everyone around the target and keep them from helping. This works great in pub warzone because people are selfish and won't use their break aways when they are not in danger. Use your CC abilities on the people who are not the focus target FIRST! When three people focus a target, only one stun should be necessary to kill the target if nearby healers and protectors are CC'd. If all three people try to lock down the same target their CC will be wasted by Resolve and they are vulnerable to the other targets in the area who still have their CC abilities!

For Huttball Focus Fire,
Yeah fire jets, not talking about it. The above applies, but Huttball adds another dynamic. Obviously you are trying to keep a player from reaching a destination. Use slows on these characters as often as possible. The key in Huttball is using your CC's in a way that exposes the player not just to your attacks, but your team as well. If you read the above you will know that separating the huttball carrier from his team, but making him more vulnerable to your team is just as important. A good example of this is, if a large portion of your team is about to come from spawn, enough to kill the huttball carrier in a stun lock, then you should let the carrier run for a bit and stun him when those players can attack as well. If he has a full resolve bar by the time he gets to them, the player is often able just to run through the team and score.

Additionally, you should pay attention to other player who have set themselves in position for passes or team pulls and deal with these players as well as the ball carrier, otherwise your efforts will be wasted.

All of this logic can be reversed when you are protecting the ball carrier!

If anyone sees anything I missed, feel free to comment and I will edit.
Ma'iq - Sith Assassin
Darkness - Gardens of Talla
CC Tips:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=283501

Mohawksinspace
02.08.2012 , 02:03 PM | #2
Post something that isnt a 'nerf this' or 'buff that' or 'this sucks' thread and it falls off the front page in minutes.
Ma'iq - Sith Assassin

AJMTL
02.08.2012 , 02:10 PM | #3
The only working CC mitigation in this game is death. Period.

Mohawksinspace
02.08.2012 , 02:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AJMTL View Post
The only working CC mitigation in this game is death. Period.
Once again this thread is about helping players learn how to use their CC better, not QQ'ing about game mechanics.
Ma'iq - Sith Assassin

xJACKTHERIPPERx
02.08.2012 , 02:17 PM | #5
nice post. some good tips in here.
<Shadowlands> Munda - 60 Sniper | Seever - 60 Juggernaut | Kaasra - 60 Assassin | Vasius - 56 Mercenary | Innoss - 57 Sage | Sediya - 60 Vanguard | Yellow'Polka - 56 Sentinel | Vi'da - 55 Scoundrel

Mohawksinspace
02.08.2012 , 02:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by xJACKTHERIPPERx View Post
nice post. some good tips in here.
Thanks, I thought I might try this constructive approach of using the PvP forum.
Ma'iq - Sith Assassin

Bullwrath
02.08.2012 , 02:34 PM | #7
Great post, OP.

Invictusthetaru
02.08.2012 , 02:37 PM | #8
Good post. You should add some basic huttball tips as well.

Auto CCing the carrier in the middle of the map really isn't that effective.

Use cc's wisely, there are fire objectives and acid pools too that make more effective stuns then spamming the guy who just picked up the ball and filling his resolve.

Mohawksinspace
02.08.2012 , 02:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Invictusthetaru View Post
Good post. You should add some basic huttball tips as well.

Auto CCing the carrier in the middle of the map really isn't that effective.

Use cc's wisely, there are fire objectives and acid pools too that make more effective stuns then spamming the guy who just picked up the ball and filling his resolve.
Good point. I'll start writing that section.
Ma'iq - Sith Assassin

Threid
02.08.2012 , 03:11 PM | #10
Good tips! Thank you for taking the time to post this. I would just add 1 thing to this thread: Don't stack CCs. If you noticed an opponent has already been stunned, then don't toss your stun on top of it until the previous one is about to wear off! I cannot count how many times I've been chasing a huttball carrier, waiting for opportune moments to CC my opponent, when 2-3 team members all stun him at the same time, filling his resolve bar immediately. If the carrier has his CC break up, then we've essentially given him a free full resolve bar, and 2-3 of us have wasted our CCs. If we had waited, we could have kept him stunned much longer.

This goes for turrets and Voidstar too: Properly-used CC can win the game for your team, if you space out your stuns/mezzes/roots/knockbacks, and use them at the appropriate times.

PS: Your forum contribution has been noted and appreciated, and my faith in humanity partially-restored.
ThreidAssassinIllegal Test KitchenThe Bastion