Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion Max Affection Bonus

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Companion Max Affection Bonus

02.08.2012 , 10:11 AM | #1
Hi all,

Have a question on what max companion affection bonuses are there? I have heard several different responses and would like to try and get an accurate response.

I know max affection increases the chance of success and reduces the time to do something, but i also heard max affection increases your chances to crit on missions and crafting.

So simply, does max affection increase your chance to crit and get purple materials, etc?

If so, by how much?

02.08.2012 , 10:13 AM | #2
I've heard both ways, and would like to have a definitive answer as well.

02.08.2012 , 10:17 AM | #3
Companion affection increases the speed of missions and crafting orders, and also improves the result quality of the mission. There is a one-line comment on the SWTOR loading screens about it, and every time I think I should try to remember it to quote when one of these threads comes up. Of course, I never do.

Paraphrasing it, the more a companion likes you, the quicker they will complete missions, and the better the results/chance of critical results will be.
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

02.08.2012 , 03:21 PM | #4
Anyone else have comments on this? So it definitely gives you a better chance to Crit on missions and get purple materials?

02.08.2012 , 03:39 PM | #5
I've seen that tips message about companion affection increasing crit chance as well, but if it does it's not very noticeable. There was also a dev post confirming it a while back but again that doesn't mean much considering forum devs are typically uninformed liars.

For all we know it's supposed to work, but doesn't (like rest xp). Or it does work but only gives a 1% crit chance bonus with max affection.

Until players can parse results and produce a statistically accurate analysis we'll never know for sure.

02.08.2012 , 03:43 PM | #6
The dev post about this has been quoted several times. Affection has been confirmed to influence speed and crit rate. Nothing about completion rate.
Wonder, Bliss, Joy, Bliss, Cheer
Sith Wyrm - Republic - The Basin

02.08.2012 , 03:45 PM | #7
I've heard that Affection is only supposed to increase the speed of crafting and not the crit rate, but after crafting with Khem, I notice that at 6k affection he crits on UT missions(he has no innate bonus to crit to these) about 20%(essentially 1/5 since hes been over 5k) of the time, whereas that annoying droid and Andronnikus crit about 8-10% (the droid I have a feeling even less). I guess the best thing to do would be to take two of the same companion with a friend, but have little or no affection on one and max on the other, then run the same skill a few hundred times, record the results and run statistics on em.

02.08.2012 , 03:48 PM | #8
I have 2 companions with max affection.

Cant say it has made a difference really.

02.08.2012 , 04:07 PM | #9
One more vote for "Maxed affection DRASTICALLY affects results of missions." Mind you, it's still nothing near a 50% crit rate. If I had to guess, I'd put the crit rate of a low affection companion under 5%, and a maxed affection companion closer to 10-20%. When I started running diplomacy missions for gifts to max out my companion's affections, even sticking to rich missions, I got almost entirely blue gifts. Now that they're maxed (and I'm working on maxing alts) I'd have to say that I still get more blue than purple gifts, but the purple results are much more frequent than they used to be.

02.08.2012 , 04:16 PM | #10
FWIW, as far as I'm aware, there is no bonus for maxed affection to anything. There is, reportedly, a bonus to both crit chance and duration that scales relative to affection. So the higher the better, but it's not like you suddenly get something new at max that you didn't have before.