Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2
They're good! 1,075 31.10%
They're terrible! 1,972 57.04%
I don't care either way. 410 11.86%
Voters: 3457. You may not vote on this poll

Yndras
02.08.2012 , 12:24 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
The flashing effect every few seconds across the entire bar as you use skills needs to go. Flashing is used to draw attention - I have no objection to an important skill just off cooldown flashing (e.g. Whirlwind), or a skill that only enables under certain conditions and thus requires attention drawn (e.g. Riposte), but not the entire hotbar.

The cooldown itself is ok, although on long CD skills it becomes hard to spot if they have become available, because the availability indication of skills is still very hit & miss at best. A proper visible timer or countdown, or instead of a horizontal dropping bar, make it a circle that turns around, would be better.

Above all, make these things configurable!

Stop assuming you know how everyone wants to have their UI work. I don't mean total UI modding, I just mean that if you decide to implement some new UI feature that could be made optional, make it optional.

Pretty sure it's always flashed. It has at least always shown the global cool down over all the skills and this always flashed. This isn't new, the only thing that was added was the white border.
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary

Solemnone
02.08.2012 , 12:24 PM | #72
We all know that there is a flashing light warning on SWTOR, but I think the current system is causing a lot of people issues. The implementation just went way overboard in my opinion. We asked for an easy way of telling when a cooldown was ready, instead we got a disco, and all of my abilities have boogie fever...

-boogies-

How about something simple instead of lighting up the entire monitor.
Bringer of Death.

PhatVN
02.08.2012 , 12:24 PM | #73
Personally, I think the change is horrible. But, instead of switching back to the old cooldown UI for everyone. Developer should give us an option to use either one, maybe add it as an option in the "Preference" menu in game.

Laurreth
02.08.2012 , 12:24 PM | #74
I'll have to go for "terrible", but I'd rather vote between that and good.

The change seems very heavy-handed with fat inelegant borders around the icons, and it introduces a LOT of visual noise to the UI, with a good bunch of elements starting for flash a lot. In comparison, cooldown indicators in other games manage to convey the same or more information without basically flashing the entire screen, so go forth and ste^W be inspired!

In the long run, maybe experiment with a more visible, optional, and click-through global indicator centered around the PC, showing global cooldown and times for some important cooldown groups (medipacks!) around the character. A quick net search shows the WoW addon IceHUD as an example, but maybe not quite as annoying and limited to CD and maybe health. (The really popping and annoying UI elements can be left as an exercise to the modders once customisation is in place.) To be useful and have acceptance this will need at least the customisation facilities shown in the last video so players can move it around, resize it, and change opacity.

GamewizX
02.08.2012 , 12:25 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by MercArcher View Post
For cooldowns - Like it

For GCD - Hate it
In a nutshell, this is exactly the way I see it.
The Shadowlands -Ξ▒▓██ The Gamewiz Legacy ██▓▒Ξ- The Shadowlands
www.oldrepublicdads.com | Proud member of -=ORD=- | www.oldrepublicdads.com
Aaliyah - 50 Sage (TK) | Corthin - 50 Sentinel (CB) | Hartman - 35 Commando (GN)

Probain
02.08.2012 , 12:25 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Naroga View Post
The new changes are horrible.

I play a Sentinel and it is almost impossible to determine when abilities are off cooldown. During my hardmode raid last night, my entire UI was constantly greyed out or flashing, which made it impossible to determine which abilities could be activated.

I could not monitor Merciless Slash, Cauterize, Overload Saber and Zealous Strike properly. I basically had to guess when each was ready to use. The other raiding Sentinel in my guild was having the same issues.

And don't get me started on the flashing every 1.5 seconds...

There are two main problems:

One, the Global Cooldown causes ALL abilities to flash when it's up. This means all of your bars will flash white every 1.5 seconds.

Two, using ANY ability causes all of your abilities to go grey and they don't fade back in until after the Global Cooldown is up. This is a huge problem when you're a class that spams abilities every second, such as a Jedi Sentinel. Basically, the abilities never light back up and are in a constant state of fading grey and flashing. Because of this, you can't tell what abilities are ready, whether or not you're in range, or if you have enough resources to use the ability.
Well said, and well explained. Althou I'm A SW, I find that this explains my feelings perfectly!

Terko_Koslah
02.08.2012 , 12:26 PM | #77
Just copy WoW...
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is." -- Jedi Master Yoda

violetdea
02.08.2012 , 12:26 PM | #78
I like the changes on the whole but I found that the flash when the GCD is done does seem to be a bit slower than when its actually done. I'm able to use abilities before the flash which kinda makes it on the whole useless. Making it a UI option may be for the best.

darthtoph
02.08.2012 , 12:26 PM | #79
I'm gonna spell this out real slow so Ray, Greg, Gabe, James and all the other lead developers at BW understand it loud and clear:

"Having your peripheral vision bombard you with flashing hotbars from left, right and bottom part of your screen is not good for your health and can cause serious physical illness."

Thank you for reading!
I don't judge a game by how old or new it is, I judge it by what it is when it is presented to me.

StephenReid
02.08.2012 , 12:26 PM | #80
Changes are definitely going to be made to the UI in response to initial feedback we received after the patch was deployed. (Very little feedback was received on the PTS Forum before the patch was deployed to the live servers, otherwise changes may have been made before the patch's deployment.)

The primary purpose of this poll is to get more accurate numbers on player sentiment. Threads are very helpful for us to get an immediate idea of areas that need attention, but accurate numbers as opposed to post counts help us present a more accurate picture of those affected (threads/post counts can easily be inflated by multiple posts from the same person, opposing points of view, and so on).

If you'd like to give us constructive feedback on changes to the UI and the global cooldown animations, we'd welcome that in this thread. Discussions about the poll or other aspects of development aren't appropriate.