Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2
They're good! 1,075 31.10%
They're terrible! 1,972 57.04%
I don't care either way. 410 11.86%
Voters: 3457. You may not vote on this poll

Morfiend
02.08.2012 , 12:21 PM | #61
The changes are really horrible. Please please please just give us the option to have it be like it was last week. GCD Version 2. As a class that has a very jumpy resource (Marauder/Rage resource) the constant graying out of all abilities while on GCD is really really gamebreaking for me.

Doobyman
02.08.2012 , 12:21 PM | #62
I won't vote on the poll as I don't feel any of the options apply to me.

I don't mind the new sparkly stuff, but it hasn't been implemented well. You originally changed it so that procs would be more visible, but in doing so made cooldowns harder to manage.

Now you've made cooldowns easier to manage and completely forgotten the original intent to make procs more visible.

IMO I both like and dislike the change. I like the graphics, they look very professional. But they should not flash on every single gcd, ONLY procs and skills with a cooldown longer than the gcd should flash. Thus drawing your attention to them.

The constant flashing does indeed hurt my eyes but I can't say I hate the change, nor do I love the change, and nor am I indifferent.

Cmdluke
02.08.2012 , 12:22 PM | #63
I voted 'terrible' since there wasn't really an option for my opinion on them so I'll elaborate here.

I played a bit with the new changes last night. Although the changes didn't impact my gaming experience/performance, I dislike the changes. The look way the flashing of finished cool downs look is a bit distracting, especially when applied to the global cooldown. Perhaps if the flashing only applied to normal cooldowns, but even then I do not think it is needed.

As a suggestion for those that would like an indication of when a cooldown is finished, how about we revert the system back to how it was previously to 1.1.2, but we add borders to the abilities. each ability that is on a normal cooldown (NOT the global cooldown) would have a red border. when the cool down is finished for an ability (again NOT the global cooldown), the border would turn white. This would help people to accurately see when an ability with a long cooldown are ready to be used again.

thank you
"The Force is a Balance between the Light and the Dark" - Qun'aris Sunnrider
Jedi Consular Balance Sage

XavinNydek
02.08.2012 , 12:22 PM | #64
The informational changes are good, the indicators are definitely more useful now. I think the contrast should be toned down a little though, and maybe have a single GCD indicator somewhere that flashes instead of every ability on the GCD. Also, add the option for countdown numbers.

Vagessel
02.08.2012 , 12:22 PM | #65
I really cannot cast a vote based on those options- particularly the way they are worded.

The UI changes are definitely a slight improvement and a move in the right direction. But they are not good enough yet to be happy with. Not by a long shot. So my opinion is kinda halfway - but I do care, it's not like I don't care either way.

Better than before, but not good enough to leave "as is" yet.

P.S. Still many UI issues would incidentally be ameliorated if things like these were addressed:

1) too many buttons
2) too many abilities on different cooldowns
2) too many procs
3) too many abilities depending on procs to be used

I want to look at the world and cinematic combat - not at the action bar.

Thoffs
02.08.2012 , 12:22 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
Joveth, I'm not sure if you're the one I should be asking this but I figure I'd give it a shot anyway.

What made Bioware decide to change the initial release UI that had zero problems?

The initial UI was perfect. I could see my long CD abilities easily, the GCD was easy to see, and my short CD abilities were easy to follow as well. I also did not see a single complaint about the UI's cooldown system anywhere ingame or on the forums. I simply cannot understand what made Bioware decide the following:

"Hmmm we should change the UI even though absolutely nothing is wrong with it. Lets add a dark background over spells on CD instead of light background (the way it was at release) and see what the community thinks!"

1 week later

"Hmmm the community hates this change. We never saw that coming! Lets change it so all our cooldowns now blink every single time an ability is used! They are gonna love this!"
QFT. I also don't understand why they changed it in the first place. I guess they have some UI devs without much work to do and they decided to twiddle with it out of boredom (but actually, I thought all of the UI devs were hard at work on the new UI customizations that are on the way). It is a puzzler, for sure. I would have though they had enough to do working on features/bug fixes that users are requesting instead of working on things that have not been requested.

Tarmi
02.08.2012 , 12:23 PM | #67
I voted with a canceled sub. The change gives me a headache after about a half hour. To bad as I really like the game.

Resilan
02.08.2012 , 12:23 PM | #68
I have both 41 Jedi Sentinel and a 50 Scoundrel. The Sentinel would be nearly unplayable for end game content. The first 6 abilities on both the top and bottom middle bar were constantly flashing at me. I was literally guessing at which abilities are available and trying to avoid looking at the bars for any reason.

The Scoundrel was not quite as bad since there were fewer abilities flashing at any given time on my screen. However, it was still somewhat annoying.

In my opinion, the effect for the global cooldown is too dominant and shows over the top of other effects. Personally, I do not want to see anything about the global cooldown on a skill if that skill is on cooldown or if the skill has other unmet requirements. The global cooldown effect should only show if that is the only thing keeping me from using the skill.

Marcus_Cade
02.08.2012 , 12:23 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Naroga View Post
There are two main problems:

One, the Global Cooldown causes ALL abilities to flash when it's up. This means all of your bars will flash white every 1.5 seconds.

Two, using ANY ability causes all of your abilities to go grey and they don't fade back in until after the Global Cooldown is up. This is a huge problem when you're a class that spams abilities every second, such as a Jedi Sentinel. Basically, the abilities never light back up and are in a constant state of fading grey and flashing. Because of this, you can't tell what abilities are ready, whether or not you're in range, or if you have enough resources to use the ability.
- Sums it up for me, as well. (& although I have not had any headaches, due to my vision problems; I can feel the strain on my eyes).
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein

MercArcher
02.08.2012 , 12:23 PM | #70
For cooldowns - Like it

For GCD - Hate it
-«« CONŠEMNEŠ »»-
A NA TEAM PVP & RAID FOCUSED GUILD
Θ SITE POLICIES YOUTUBE Θ