Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2
They're good! 1,075 31.10%
They're terrible! 1,972 57.04%
I don't care either way. 410 11.86%
Voters: 3457. You may not vote on this poll

grapefruit
02.08.2012 , 01:10 PM | #241
This poll is silly and treating the issue like its black and white.

Good changes:
Easier to see when an ability comes off cooldown.

Bad changes:
Highly distracting GCD and flashy. When in constant GCD its now impossible to see when things come off cooldown. Highly noticeable for people using all instant abilities. These animations provide no useful or new information to the user.

What I would like to see:
Revert the GCD changes. Simply make an ability under cooldown a different shade or display a numerical countdown on the button. Some interface options around this would be nice as well.

Emeda
02.08.2012 , 01:10 PM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by Killowatt View Post
Poll goes to show you just how many people read and post on the forums. As bad as people say things are and all of the "majority of players" and the "vast outcry" and things of the like..as of now 1067 people have voted out ~1million subs.
So what does that say about Bioware that they would put this poll in the forums?
If this game is so great then why do so many people that love the game spend all their time in the forums?

GoodEnoughForMe
02.08.2012 , 01:10 PM | #243
It seems too visually noisy. It becomes an issue when it is so bright and frequent.

Other comments regarding problems with Sentinels/Marauders are legit. It's not gamebreaking by any means but there are definitely some issues between the new cooldown system and the resource mechanic for those two classes.
"When reality overcomes the dream, all sanity is lost in it's depth." -- Anonymous

daMarek
02.08.2012 , 01:10 PM | #244
I like the idea of a poll but please make the options even next time. Good and Terrible are not equally strong terms. Someone thinking it's just bad or slightly worse then the previous UI might not want to call it Terrible, but still doesn't like it.

Awesome <--> Terrible
Good <--> Bad
Like it <--> Don't like it

You get the idea. What was your SAT score again?

inseeisyou
02.08.2012 , 01:10 PM | #245
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
(Very little feedback was received on the PTS Forum before the patch was deployed to the live servers, otherwise changes may have been made before the patch's deployment.)
Hi. Enable us to make copies of our level 50 character onto your "test" server and you will likely see a large increase in activity on the server and hence... more feedback!

But otherwise your subtle blame shift was good for a laugh I suppose.
BoycottEA.com
Because enough is enough!

Malanoth
02.08.2012 , 01:11 PM | #246
Terrible change. Bad before, worse now. It looks cheap and nasty. Just add a small numerical timer on the bottom right corner of each ability that pulses when its cooldown is over and have unusable abilities slightly darker than usuable ones.

I hate talking about WoW but think along the lines of the addon omnicc (not actual Blizzards UI stuff).

Ehloell
02.08.2012 , 01:11 PM | #247
Theres a lot of replies so this might have been stated before.

Before the patch, you could tell if a button was on its own specific cooldown AND the global cooldown.

Now, you can't tell if its on its own specific cooldown and the global because they're all greyed out and this prevents you from seeing what you should next in your queue.
Train - Jedi Guardian - Corellian Run

JBChimera
02.08.2012 , 01:11 PM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
Whats the point of putting up a poll after the fact?

Also whats the point of putting a poll in the forums where it has been proven () by all the fanboiz that 99.999% of the players never come into the forums.
I had read sowmewhere on the interweb it was nearer 10% of gamers read the game's official forums, especially in MMO's. But that is ok, as 10% is a clear enough snapshot of how people feel about most things. However, it is also known that within that 10% a proportion are gamers who love to complain about things just for the sake of it.

I think one of the biggest lessons the Bioware team have learned after this issue is that they need to implement a level 50 character copy to the PTS so that things will get tested by more people who care about the game.

At the moment the results are showing a healthy majority for the hate it campaign. I also see that on twitter one of the CM's has been tweeting about it.

https://twitter.com/Rockjaw

Evel
02.08.2012 , 01:12 PM | #249
My only complaint is that there seems to be a delay in skills showing up (not grayed out) that are actually available. I see it happen a lot with Assassinate on my Sith Assassin.
Infernal Empire
A Community for Adult Gamers
Website | Thread | About | How to Join?
Est. 2004

aharoncagle
02.08.2012 , 01:12 PM | #250
@StephenReid:

Here's some constructive feedback. In essence, don't reinvent the wheel. Keep It Simple.

Main Use Case:
1. You have an OnState at 100%
2. You have an OffState at 50-80% opacity
3. You have a rotational clockwise cool down animation overlay.

Situational Use Cases:
4. There may at times be a need to highlight a skill with a simple outline.
5. A small very light burst animation can be effective.

Again, keep them simple and use them in moderation.

Why does WoW, LOTRO, RIFT (to name a few) follow a similar pattern? It works. It is effective design in communicating when skills are available. Effective design best follows common rules across multiple media types or genres.

Rotational Clockwise animations for cool downs:
This option is most accepted as a standard because it is easier for a user to literally "tell the time" that is left on a cool down. It is a universally accepted practice. Moving an animation vertically or horizontally does not effectively communicate time within such a confined space.

For those showing physical discomfort over the UI, I hope you do your due diligence and offer them an immediate solution.