Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2
They're good! 1,075 31.10%
They're terrible! 1,972 57.04%
I don't care either way. 410 11.86%
Voters: 3457. You may not vote on this poll

Maranea
02.08.2012 , 12:44 PM | #171
Didn't vote because I don't think the new thing is good or horrible (what kind of choice is that?)

I think it is a decent change (better than the last iteration anyway), but the extra, brief flash as the GCD finishes is not needed.

PS I don't think you'll get very far with a poll like this. In my experience the majority of people posting here don't come here to praise the game, they come to complain or seek help. Some kind of heavily moderated thread to make sure people only post constructive criticism might help more.

profaneascension
02.08.2012 , 12:44 PM | #172
I'm not sure a vote is the best way to go about this. As of this post, those who oppose the changes are in the lead at about 63%, and my vote is among them. Nevertheless, if those who like the changes surge into the lead, does that really mean the devs should just ignore the issue and let the UI remain as it is?

I just don't think BioWare should base their decision on whether to change the UI based on the end results of the poll. The fact that there is a significant portion of the player base expressing their concern should be viewed as a mandate for BW to look into alternatives, such as giving us the option to choose.

I am generally very positive about the game and enjoy it immensely. I can wait for other improvements to the game because I don't have to deal with those aspects on a consistent basis. However, combat is a pervasive element of the game, and the increased difficulty of identifying which skills are available while the GCD animation is taking place just completely saps my enjoyment.

BW, please consider rolling back this change and then look at implementing the option to choose between the different GCD styles. That is the only way to please everybody.
Progenitor of the Byronic Legacy
If you're livin' in a bubble and you haven't got a fear / Well, you're gonna be in trouble, 'cause we're gonna steal your gear! / Cause what you got is what we Need and all we do is dirty deeds / We're the Loot W****s! Watch out! 'Cause we're the Loot W****s!

DarthKeredias
02.08.2012 , 12:44 PM | #173
So I just got a Twitter response from Stephen himself that changes will be made. Thank you.

https://twitter.com/rockjaw/status/167315819292925952

Merouk
02.08.2012 , 12:45 PM | #174
The main problem is we can't tell what the abilities are, when they're dimmed and on cooldown. The blue cooldown effect is too bright and the abilities are too dark when they're dimmed.

The previous iteration was pretty good, I thought.

As a suggestion, I don't know how it would look (whether it would be good), but try de-saturating the icons instead of dimming them:

- icons are lit and full color when available
- icons are lit and black-and-white when not available

That way we can still recognize the abilities.

Or, just go back to the previous iteration.

getdownsb
02.08.2012 , 12:45 PM | #175
Quite honestly, I still don't understand what was wrong with the way abilities were animated on launch. This wasn't ever raised as a problem during beta (that I remember) and post-launch didn't seem to be an issue with anyone either.

Both of the UI ability animation changes that have gone through on live seem to be an attempt to hide/justify the ability lag, animation lag, instant abilities being interrupted, and general clunky feeling combat. Stop wasting time with these changes, stop trying to improve the UI, it is painfully obvious that whoever is responsible for the UI doesn't actually play MMO's or quite possibly any game for that matter. Take the time to add in some type of UI API and make it so that the modding community can re-skin it and customize it's function. Because you're clearly not up to the task.
Rincon
Helm of Graush

darthjanus
02.08.2012 , 12:45 PM | #176
SUGGESTION: Keep the the current animation for activated abilities on cooldown BUT return to the simple graying animation used at launch for the Global Cooldown.
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further." - Darth Vader

Chaosmagistrate
02.08.2012 , 12:46 PM | #177
Poll options are too extreme...I would much prefer a timer or a clock fade...nonetheless...let me copy characters to the PTS or provide generic pre-made characters with unlimited tokens/commendations and I will test the **** out of your content...until then...yeah, PTS will not be installed.

pre-1.1 was ok, not great. 1.1 was /facepalm...post 1.1.2 is ok, but given the choice between 1.1.2 and pre1.1, I'll take pre-1.1.

But given more choices, I would rather mod the damn thing and be put clock timers and a visual timer. or ideally, just let me move my ui bars and re-size them.
"This is an innovative MMO, if you want your quests to count, if you want to abandon quests, if you want to force leap a force speed sorceror and not get "Out of Range" messages, go back to 2004. "

Nonameperson
02.08.2012 , 12:47 PM | #178
Terrible, it was better before the patch.

Thesseract
02.08.2012 , 12:47 PM | #179
To help people understand. I play botha a Sith Juggernaut and Bounty Hunter.

I hate this change for 2 reasons:

First it makes me unable to use my action bars to tell if an ability is available due to a proc (retaliate or rail shot) to queue an ability before the GCD is up.

Second after playing for ~hour after the patch was released I started to have a small headache. To clarify I do have all 4 action bars open. I have never got headaches from video or computer games before. I have been a gamer my whole life. I do get headaches if I try to read in a moving car.

zandadoum
02.08.2012 , 12:47 PM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post

If you'd like to give us constructive feedback on changes to the UI and the global cooldown animations, we'd welcome that in this thread. Discussions about the poll or other aspects of development aren't appropriate.
i gave my feedback.

i want player made addons so i can chose whatever i like.

go and youtube "addon review OMNICC" and learn from it.