Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2
They're good! 1,075 31.10%
They're terrible! 1,972 57.04%
I don't care either way. 410 11.86%
Voters: 3457. You may not vote on this poll

Thesseract
02.09.2012 , 01:32 PM | #1161
Quote: Originally Posted by Thesseract View Post
So you didn't bother reading the other posts and decided to just come on here and say "I don't see what the problem is" without even trying to understand what the problem is. Nice.
Saying you like the changes is one thing.

Saying that you don't see a problem so there must not be one is just ignorant.

I gotta stop accidently quoting myself instead of editing my last post. Sorry.

Calories
02.09.2012 , 01:33 PM | #1162
In my opinion, the changes were a net plus but could be better. My notes:
  1. Overall, the UI feels too flashy and shiny.
  2. I find it difficult to determine when an ability is coming off cooldown while the global flash is occurring.

Unrelated to GCD, I hope to see tweaks to Resolve next because the indicator is very misleading. I always hear players complain how it doesn't work when, in reality, it does work but the stun they're experiencing was applied before their resolve bar was full. Players typically get in a stun and then glance over at the resolve bar and see it full and go "***?". It might make sense to adjust the value displayed in the Resolve bar after the stun effect is gone. This would also address an issue where a player's full Resolve bar starts diminishing while they're in a stun.

sithkllr
02.09.2012 , 01:34 PM | #1163
So you didn't bother reading the other posts and decided to just come on here and say "I don't see what the problem is" without even trying to understand what the problem is. Nice.
LOL. Like I said, I play the game. I see it with my own eyes. I dont need to read every post by every crying complainer on the forums. I understand ppl are saying the flashing is annoying. There is a certain type of personality that will complain regardless of what is done. I certainly hope Bioware does not start catering to them because they are here in very large numbers and once they get their way once it will never end.

The complaints about the new cooldown animations are not valid. They serve the purpose they were designed for: to clearly show what abilitis are on CD.
WHY CAN'T I FAST TRAVEL TO MY SHIP?!

aharoncagle
02.09.2012 , 01:36 PM | #1164
Quote: Originally Posted by Hammercakes View Post
ug..

This is what was originally said:

Gryhmr clearly states that I was saying that people were "imagining symptoms" And that is not what having a psychosomatic illness means. So no, that is not exactly what I said, that is in fact not remotely what I said. It's not even what you said...

Symptoms caused by psychosomatic illness are very real, please do not imply otherwise.

I will thank you to not presume to know my motivations for posting, as I was giving my honest opinion. Further more I will thank you to not put words in my mouth, as I never said "everyone", and in fact later clarified that I did not mean everyone.
I respectfully disagree. This IS what you said:

Quote: Originally Posted by Hammercakes View Post
I have two words that explain it: psychosomatic illness.
I apologize if you feel I am putting words in your mouth, this is not my intention. All one can presume from that original statement is that you believe that people's physical effects are not caused by the UI issue but by a "psychosomatic illness".

Let me clarify, I was not responding to Gryhmr's response but to your original words. And that is my fault for not clarifying it. So, I won't drag this thread down anymore. That's your stance, so be it. I believe otherwise.

Thesseract
02.09.2012 , 01:39 PM | #1165
Quote: Originally Posted by sithkllr View Post
LOL. Like I said, I play the game. I see it with my own eyes. I dont need to read every post by every crying complainer on the forums. I understand ppl are saying the flashing is annoying. There is a certain type of personality that will complain regardless of what is done. I certainly hope Bioware does not start catering to them because they are here in very large numbers and once they get their way once it will never end.

The complaints about the new cooldown animations are not valid. They serve the purpose they were designed for: to clearly show what abilitis are on CD.
How about you actual address my point #3 on the previous post I made. The new cooldown animations are not an improvement in that regard. Yes, they fixed one thing (knowing exactly when your cd's are available) but they created other problems. Open your eyes and stop being so shortsighted.

To summarize: yes the new UI fixed a problem that you and many others had.

But it also created problems for lot's of people.

KnowKnock
02.09.2012 , 01:41 PM | #1166
After feeling like being thrown a flashbang each time I pressed a key, I'm slowly beginning to get used to it (no real choice atm...), but still don't get the change, and would gladly go back with the original.
The old one was OK : the GCD was perfectly visible, the available skills and unavailable also, and more so, because there was not such a high contrast between the GCD progress animation and the real content inside.
It's a bit like driving by night without any other lightning than your car and the other you cross.

I guess people who love the new GCD really had trouble seeing the cooldown with the old one, otherwise I don't see the advantage of praising the new one, hmm... except maybe for its dancefloor style ? (hopefully, some flashing sidebars and a big beat sound each time the GCD activate will be released as an addon in some future...)
The Azalus Legacy
Agent 50 - Juggernaut 50 - Sorcerer 50 - Bounty Hunter 17
Smuggler 50 - Commando 40 - Sentinel 13 - Shadow 11

sithkllr
02.09.2012 , 01:47 PM | #1167
How about you actual address my point #3 on the previous post I made. The new cooldown animations are not an improvement in that regard. Yes, they fixed one thing (knowing exactly when your cd's are available) but they created other problems. Open your eyes and stop being so shortsighted.
Methinks you rely to much on looking at your buttons. I rarely need to look. Maybe I am just really good at timing them in my head. For me the changes are great because I can clearly see when GCD is over peripherally. It saves me from hitting a button too soon.

I guess to bridge the skill gap to service less skilled players, the bar could be cartoon-ized even more and made in primary colors only. Maybe instead of looking at buttons, a giant text banner could pop up and say something like "USE SLASH NOW!". Then, if you dont hit it, the game could take over and hit it for you. But, ppl would then complain that the text of the banner is giving them headaches because it is written in Helvetica and not Comic Sans.
WHY CAN'T I FAST TRAVEL TO MY SHIP?!

Isathrea
02.09.2012 , 01:48 PM | #1168
Quote: Originally Posted by sithkllr View Post

ROFL you wrote LOL.

With all due respect it is very obviously that you do not have understood the game
mechanics prior to the patch according to your statements. Consequently you are in no
position to understand how the last patch has changed the mechanics.

Login in to a game does not prove any understanding.
Same as writing does not prove reason.

In short for you (this is the part in which you need to pay attention):

1. Press 1 an GCD and CD is activated
2. Press 2 an GCD is activated, also on 1 which has still CD
3. It is not possible to say while GCD of 2 overrides CD animation of 1 if 1 is available or not when GCD 2 animation is finished

Since advance playing requires about 5 CD with 5-10 GCD you have lost overview
after 3-5 GCD completely.

Not to mention the Christmas tree effect when after pressing 1 about 25
none used abilities have been highlighted which have had nothing to do with
the action at all.

Hammercakes
02.09.2012 , 01:51 PM | #1169
Quote: Originally Posted by aharoncagle View Post
I respectfully disagree. This IS what you said:

I apologize if you feel I am putting words in your mouth, this is not my intention. All one can presume from that statement is that you believe that people's physical effects are not caused by the UI issue but by a "psychosomatic illness".
I did my best to explain myself, but I think you have not read all of posts I, and others have made on the subject and are just jumping in the middle of it to argue.

I say this because in proper context your posts make no sense. You will have to forgive me if I decline further discourse with you.

Mephane
02.09.2012 , 01:51 PM | #1170
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
hence our ongoing development and expansion of UI options.
This! Options are king. You can do anything with the UI so long as there are options to turn it off, choose between different modes, visual styles etc. You cannot have enough options, and should consider, for all future UI changes, adding all new variants of existing system as an option, with the option to keep it in the previous style.
Ceterum censeo chat bubbles addenda et party bomb reddendum esse.
---
The Alot is Better Than You at Everything