Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2
They're good! 1,075 31.10%
They're terrible! 1,972 57.04%
I don't care either way. 410 11.86%
Voters: 3457. You may not vote on this poll

adkbmxrider
02.08.2012 , 12:32 PM | #101
I will admit that the changes make it easier to see the actual cooldown meter, but dimming everything else while there is a cooldown in effect makes combat very difficult. I have trouble differentiating my spells when they are dimmed.
"If something seems too good to be true, it's best to shoot it just in case."

Rhila
02.08.2012 , 12:32 PM | #102
Hey BioWare,

It's not a matter of taste here. The real issue at hand is that it is physically making people ill (be it headache, eyeball ache, and nausea), whereas this did NOT happen before your new UI change.
The clear cause is the UI that we need to be able to either keep with your new, rather inane changes, or revert back to the original UI.

The fact that your game now makes people ill and unable to play is terrible. The fact that it has not been hotfixed when there is such an uproar is even worse.

Please address the real issue at hand, and not this "Like" or "Dislike" idea you've gotten lodged in your heads.
I wonder what this button does...
*BOOM!*
Whoops!

Morfiend
02.08.2012 , 12:32 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post

If you'd like to give us constructive feedback on changes to the UI and the global cooldown animations, we'd welcome that in this thread. Discussions about the poll or other aspects of development aren't appropriate.
1) Every ability flashing every GCD is just silly. Maybe leave the flash for abilities coming off cooldown that is NOT GCD related.

2) All abilities grayed out during GCD. This is terrible. It makes iv VERY hard to know what ability is going to be usable due to resource. As a SW/JK this seems to effect me more than some other classes. This is really game breaking for me. I had this issue with the launch GCD also. This was fixed in GCD2 and now broken again in GCD3.

3) Delay in lighting up. Abilities dont light up as soon as the GCD is done and they are ready. Once they are ready, they then slowly (over like 0.2 of a second) light flash then light up. Due to this if you are a class that is GCD locked (uses an ability every GCD) all your abilities will never light up, just go from grey to flash to grey. This is annoying and again hard to track what abilities are ready with a quick glance.

GamewizX
02.08.2012 , 12:33 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Changes are definitely going to be made to the UI in response to initial feedback we received after the patch was deployed. (Very little feedback was received on the PTS Forum before the patch was deployed to the live servers, otherwise changes may have been made before the patch's deployment.)

The primary purpose of this poll is to get more accurate numbers on player sentiment. Threads are very helpful for us to get an immediate idea of areas that need attention, but accurate numbers as opposed to post counts help us present a more accurate picture of those affected (threads/post counts can easily be inflated by multiple posts from the same person, opposing points of view, and so on).

If you'd like to give us constructive feedback on changes to the UI and the global cooldown animations, we'd welcome that in this thread. Discussions about the poll or other aspects of development aren't appropriate.
Thank you for the response. I've posted this elsewhere, but I will post it again here:

Essentially I think the problem most people are having is that the GCD effect is the same thing as the ability cooldown effect. I absolutely love the changes for the ability cooldown (the brighter descending timer and the flash at the end makes it easy to see when a cooldown is up), but it is completely counter-productive to have the exact same effect for the global cooldown as well.

This should change as soon as possible, as in within the next day or so if at all possible. Having the global cooldown be as bright and flashy as the ability cooldown completely negates the changes made as now your entire UI is just a big mass of flashing buttons.

Make the GCD effect with a much lower opacity with no flash at the end (essentially the way it was pre-1.1.2). Keep the ability cooldown as is post-1.1.2. Problem solved. Also, do not grey out the abilities on GCD. Only grey out abilities on their ability cooldown.

Edit: Played for about 3 hours last night doing almost solely PvP. Overall I think that, for me personal, it is not nearly as drastic as others believe it to be. Does it still need to be fixed? Absolutely. But it is not anywhere near eye-straining for me as others have claimed.

Honestly I think the method works fantastic for ability cooldowns. Just trim down the effects for the GCD (no dimming of icons, no flash at the end, lower opacity on the timer portion) and it would be good to go. Basically, after playing for three hours my initial assessment remains the same.
The Shadowlands -Ξ▒▓██ The Gamewiz Legacy ██▓▒Ξ- The Shadowlands
www.oldrepublicdads.com | Proud member of -=ORD=- | www.oldrepublicdads.com
Aaliyah - 50 Sage (TK) | Corthin - 50 Sentinel (CB) | Hartman - 35 Commando (GN)

Thesseract
02.08.2012 , 12:33 PM | #105
Finally a reply. As for suggestions on improvement there were many good ideas posted in previous threads.

Sivn
02.08.2012 , 12:33 PM | #106
Take the WoW cooldown look with OmniCC addon and transfer that into SWTOR.

Simple, effective and works great.

Danakar
02.08.2012 , 12:33 PM | #107
For me it is very confusing when every ability is getting greyed out constantly and you can't see which of them are usable and which were still on a timed cooldown until after the GCD is ready.

Also, the last part of the GCD (the flash) does not coincide with the abilities actually being ready. They were ready long before the GCD does its flash; thus keeping me in a constant state of grey where I just have to keep guessing.

Personally I would like you to revert to the previous version or give us a choice from the Preferences menu on which indicator we want to use.
Danakar <Legacy name taken> - retired Jedi Knight
The Fifth Order (fell to pieces after the merge)
|||||||||||||()█╣ Subscription cancelled, thanks BW/EA

AERHAE
02.08.2012 , 12:34 PM | #108
Are these patches actually being tested?
If so ,who is doing the testing?
There seems to be some kind of disconnect between new patches then the new patches going live for things to be broke,not working,or in this case not what the community wants at all.
To me testing patches needs to be re-evaluated,and more attention needs to go into figuring out what it is the community wants.
Also it has become apparent that the people on test center are not the same community as the player base for live servers.
Streamline the Madness please.
CE VIP

Stormnut
02.08.2012 , 12:34 PM | #109
I like it but I think it should be optional (especially the flash effect)

Voted for it
I've got a bad feeling about this forum.

Naroga
02.08.2012 , 12:34 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Morfiend View Post
1) Every ability flashing every GCD is just silly. Maybe leave the flash for abilities coming off cooldown that is NOT GCD related.

2) All abilities grayed out during GCD. This is terrible. It makes iv VERY hard to know what ability is going to be usable due to resource. As a SW/JK this seems to effect me more than some other classes. This is really game breaking for me. I had this issue with the launch GCD also. This was fixed in GCD2 and now broken again in GCD3.

3) Delay in lighting up. Abilities dont light up as soon as the GCD is done and they are ready. Once they are ready, they then slowly (over like 0.2 of a second) light flash then light up. Due to this if you are a class that is GCD locked (uses an ability every GCD) all your abilities will never light up, just go from grey to flash to grey. This is annoying and again hard to track what abilities are ready with a quick glance.
100% accurate. As a Jedi Sentinel, I couldn't agree more.
-- Naroga Korzen -- Jedi Sentinel of <Fatality> -- Thana Vesh, PvE --