Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2
They're good! 1,075 31.10%
They're terrible! 1,972 57.04%
I don't care either way. 410 11.86%
Voters: 3457. You may not vote on this poll

Keta
02.08.2012 , 12:30 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Changes are definitely going to be made to the UI in response to initial feedback we received after the patch was deployed. (Very little feedback was received on the PTS Forum before the patch was deployed to the live servers, otherwise changes may have been made before the patch's deployment.)

The primary purpose of this poll is to get more accurate numbers on player sentiment. Threads are very helpful for us to get an immediate idea of areas that need attention, but accurate numbers as opposed to post counts help us present a more accurate picture of those affected (threads/post counts can easily be inflated by multiple posts from the same person, opposing points of view, and so on).

If you'd like to give us constructive feedback on changes to the UI and the global cooldown animations, we'd welcome that in this thread. Discussions about the poll or other aspects of development aren't appropriate.

Not good enough. Where's your comment about those who are getting sick from the new and improved UI? Changes will be made? When, what's the time frame? Am i locked out for at least another 2 - 3 weeks because your UI makes me physically ill? You are aware that a fair number of us literally cannot play your game with this UI aren't you? Or are you among those who are claiming we're lying when we say the new UI is making us ill?

bleuquila
02.08.2012 , 12:30 PM | #92
revert it. revert it today. As a priority rage-based class, what button I hit next is entirely dependent on: how much rage do I have vs what a spell costs? did something else randomly proc during the GCD? Did my 45 second cooldown attack come off CD? Normally, during the GCD period I scan what is available and make my choice so that as soon as the GCD ends I know what I'm doing. With everything grayed out right now, I CANNOT MADE THAT DETERMINATION. It's incredibly frustrating, when there is never a time that I can see what is available unless I am literally standing around, doing nothing at all after a GCD has ended. It goes without saying, for a class with a very shaky hold on threat tables to begin with, doing nothing is the worst possible choice. This bar change is actively impairing my ability to play the game with friends. The flashing lights and all that - nuisances, but they don't prevent me from tanking.

darthtoph
02.08.2012 , 12:30 PM | #93
Changes are definitely going to be made to the UI in response to initial feedback we received after the patch was deployed. (Very little feedback was received on the PTS Forum before the patch was deployed to the live servers, otherwise changes may have been made before the patch's deployment.)

The primary purpose of this poll is to get more accurate numbers on player sentiment. Threads are very helpful for us to get an immediate idea of areas that need attention, but accurate numbers as opposed to post counts help us present a more accurate picture of those affected (threads/post counts can easily be inflated by multiple posts from the same person, opposing points of view, and so on).

If you'd like to give us constructive feedback on changes to the UI and the global cooldown animations, we'd welcome that in this thread. Discussions about the poll or other aspects of development aren't appropriate.
Finally some feedback. Thank you very much!

Maybe now is the time for the player base to come up with a couple of suggestions? Seriously, this is not a difficult issue to resolve at all, the year is 2012 and we've had working MMO UIs since... 1999?
I don't judge a game by how old or new it is, I judge it by what it is when it is presented to me.

ichime
02.08.2012 , 12:30 PM | #94
I just want it back to the way it was at launch to be honest... With the option to have numbers for cooldowns (or at least for the last 5 seconds)

Kthx
02.08.2012 , 12:30 PM | #95
The poll would have been more useful if it had provided either more graduation in the response (i.e a question that can be answered with strongly agree, agree, undecided, disagree, or strongly disagree) or, even better, options on what changes to make.

(a) Keep as is
(b) Revert to pre-patch
(c) Revert to launch
(d) Redesign from scratch with user input
(e) Allow some combination of (a) through (c) with user preference

There may be other options as well.

The other thing that the person evaluating this poll needs to understand is that this survey is subject to very strong selection bias: Those most likely to participate are those who strongly dislike the changes. If you really want to measure the preferences, a random sample is needed. Maybe the best way would be to have a pop-up in game with a survey, as was done during beta to collect feedback.

Naroga
02.08.2012 , 12:31 PM | #96

Will we have to wait until next Tuesday for a fix? I am not exaggerating when I say that my Jedi Sentinel is almost unplayable with the current UI. Raiding on him was anything but fun and I logged off instead of joining my guild for PvP because of the UI.

On my Operative alt, the changes are still bad, but not nearly as bad as the Sentinel. If I have to wait until Tuesday, I won't bother logging onto the Sentinel other than to raid.
-- Naroga Korzen -- Jedi Sentinel of <Fatality> -- Thana Vesh, PvE --

Lostpenguins
02.08.2012 , 12:31 PM | #97

1 - You need to give us the ability to copy over characters to the PTS. Very few times at low levels do we have the ability to test out some features until we level up that character to a high enough level. What character has relics at low levels or long cooldown abilities to aptly test whether a 5 minute icon on cooldown is readable or not? What player is going to level a character on the PTS to test Operation changes and endgame PvP? Don't place the blame on your player base for not properly giving you feedback when you do not give us the proper tools to easily test out these changes.

2 - For my suggestions on the changes... I'll repost it here:

Make this easier. Put a big, red, countdown number (1 = 1 second, 2 = 2 seconds, 1m = 1 minute) that goes away when it's not on cooldown or GCD (i.e. when it's available to use). Have it always round up to the lower increment. Each unit shown should be:
Every second : 1 - 59.
Every minute : 1m - 60m.

So something that has 4 mins, 30 secs left will show "4m" on the button. Something that has 1m 15 seconds left will show "1m", something that has 1.5secs (GCD) will show "1".

Make the ability grayed out when it's ineligible to use (out of range, a heal ability on an enemy non-healable npc).

So:
Visible number = Not ready to use yet / Still on cooldown.
Grayed out = Ineligible target / not in range.

How hard would it be to do that?

Want to know when your ability is ready and you can use it? Simple... it's a bright color with no number on it."

Sample Image:
http://tinypic.com/r/15wktpe/5

AlexiKakos
02.08.2012 , 12:32 PM | #98
They're not terrible but they're closer to that option than them being good.
"There is nothing Good or Evil, but thinking makes it so."

DalekCaan
02.08.2012 , 12:32 PM | #99
These were giving me a headache last night. For the first time since I started playing in Beta, I got a headache from playing. That obviously tells me something is wrong.

I don't mind making cooldowns clearer, but making them the brightest thing on screen and flashing like a Coruscant nightclub isn't helping anyone.

If you keep them in the game, I suggest having an option to switch between the original and new.
Server: MASK OF NIHILUS

R'ex - Jedi Sentinel
Axon - Gunslinger

MactheSmuggler
02.08.2012 , 12:32 PM | #100
Easiest solution IMHO:

A overlay of a number counting down over your ability when its on cooldown. If you have 29 seconds left on a cooldown the ability is greyed out with a big 29 over it (obviously counting down to zero).

The current system is worse than the one prior which was worse than the one prior to that...