Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to help your healer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to help your healer

jjmartin
02.07.2012 , 04:09 PM | #1
I'm new to MMO's, but I've played maybe 200 WZs with a DPS spec, and recently switched to healing. Here's what I've learned as a healer:

1. Tank-Healer combinations are very powerful. Use Guard.

When you (The Tank) takes damage if gets reduced. When I take damage it goes straight to my face. It's more efficient for you to take the damage and then me heal it.

If you are a tank, find a healer and put them on Guard. Talk to them before the WZ starts and coordinate with your healer. A weird part of the UI is that I can't tell who is Guarding me, so let's talk.

I will follow you like a puppy keeping you alive and un-interrupted.

Healers without tanks are not nearly as efficient.

2. All I want to do is keep you alive.

Honestly, it's hard for me to keep up with objectives on the map, it's hard for me to deal much damage. I spend about 90% of my time looking at your health bar. I need you to stay goal oriented, I'll try to get you there.

And for f's sake don't throw me the huttball. Throw it to my tank.

3. I work best in groups.

I can generally keep 3 or 4 of you alive at any time. If I'm alone I die. I need to follow a couple of you around. Coincidentally, generally attacks go better in groups, so group up. I'll get your back.

4. Give me some props.

I earn way less medals than I'd do if I was DPS. That's cool, and I don't mind not getting MVP votes or anything like that. But once in a while say 'thanks for the heals'. It seems simple, but that really keeps me going. I'll be sure to thank you for the Tanking.

McKenn
02.07.2012 , 04:15 PM | #2
Amen.

CrunchyGremlin
02.07.2012 , 04:25 PM | #3
One thing i would add here is that it is important for healers in PUGs to not expect people to help them.
You need to ask. If you can use sparkle dust in spawn so people can see you.

As its hard to tell who is an actual healer and who isn't, speak up.
Ask to be guarded and stick with that person.

I hate it when healers expect someone to lead for them in a pug.
Everyone wants healers to heal effectively but its damn complicated to get 50% of the of the pug to listen to any request much more so to make sure that the each member knows how to take care of their basic needs.

Its also difficult to get guards arranged in the middle of combat.

In WZ's we often have more than a minute in spawn or on speeder bikes.
ask for a guard while we are in spawn not after you have been getting slaughtered for a while.
I soloed Ilum completing all of the objectives.
30 sentinel ,40 Shadow, 18 Scoundrel
Why cant we win at WZ's Universe at war RPGPVP progression Re-install DX9 for better perf?

Evuke
02.07.2012 , 04:27 PM | #4
dear healers, if a tank guards you HEAL them.

tbh i've given up guarding healers in wz's on my juggy because they don't heal me.

i'll guard the healer, the healer will start getting damaged, he will spam heals on himself when he's at 80% health (most healers seem to panic when they are taking damage and ignore everyone except themselves, or try and run off) meanwhile i am at 20% health from taking his damage and he's ignoring me completely.

i know it's hard to understand, but healing me is like healing yourself, and if you're a sorc put a bubble on me too, it's like a double bubble

Aroidan
02.07.2012 , 04:34 PM | #5
Yeah, it annoys me when the healer heals himself at 80% and not me at 20% or less when I put guard on them!!! Seriously I can kill the guy hitting you if you keep me up

In a pug once I see a healer healing I drop my guard on them. If they keep me healed when in those 80 20 percent situations then I will keep my guard on them. If they don't keep me healed then once I get the medals they don't get the guards and only get the taunts Cause seriously whats the point in hampering my dps when and effectiveness when you don't know healing priorities!

jjmartin
02.07.2012 , 04:43 PM | #6
Fair point.

I find myself letting myself die (As the healer) to keep someone else up a bit longer. Maybe not the best strat, but as the healer your priority is keeping the fighters going.

CrunchyGremlin
02.07.2012 , 04:49 PM | #7
I dont mean to be so down on you. A good healer is a game winner and they get my mvp on my side and they get my respect on their side.

but i have had some bad experiences with cranky healers that just expect to be taken of in a pug. Likes in my fault for having the audacity to be chosen as the OPS leader and to ask people to stick on the doors.

90% of the PUG doesn't even know you can heal, much less that there are left and right bikes or the basics of huttball, and other 10% has no guard to offer if they haven't already.
I soloed Ilum completing all of the objectives.
30 sentinel ,40 Shadow, 18 Scoundrel
Why cant we win at WZ's Universe at war RPGPVP progression Re-install DX9 for better perf?

belialle
02.07.2012 , 04:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by jjmartin View Post
Fair point.

I find myself letting myself die (As the healer) to keep someone else up a bit longer. Maybe not the best strat, but as the healer your priority is keeping the fighters going.
As a healer, your first priority is to keep yourself up, first and foremost. If you go down, your team goes down. Of course, the situation could force you to prioritize a little differently. For instance, if I have a low health ball carrier that's about to score, I might prioritize them over myself to help them make those last few steps to the goal line. I saw a great example of that last night.....The ball carrier made it across the line and went splat just as he crossed. And then I went splat. It was awesome to see.....And it earned us the win. But generally speaking, you'll want to prioritize yourself first.

Beelzebubs
02.07.2012 , 04:49 PM | #9
In short, learn to peel.
Solo Queue Battlemaster Beelzebubs Starshadow - Space Slug.
How I'd fix Ilum: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=237120

The difference between a fresh 50 and a Battlemaster is not all gear, it's experience.

Dzhokhar
02.07.2012 , 04:53 PM | #10
I have one more:

Do NOT display your legacy name as a Surname. When I see someone in front of me who needs healing, I need to find them in my Operation frame as quickly as possible. This is hindered by having to distinguish between their character name and their legacy name (bonus points for hiding your title too).