Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In game economy?

bdiddyrocker
12.15.2011 , 11:30 AM | #1
Ok i have been hearing a lot about the in game economy being messed up already and i was even told its idiots like me who ruin the ingame economy? I wa confused a bout what the in game economy is. A little help?

BrandiBug
12.15.2011 , 11:35 AM | #2
I wouldn't take that to heart. Economy is based on the first item sold. From there it either goes higher or lower, as well as people requesting to buy something for an x value. If it's already crappy then people either are selling too high or way too low.

Buuut I also struggled in my Economics class. That's just what I've observed from my six-ish years of MMO'ing.

moiraesfate
12.15.2011 , 12:30 PM | #3
I'm not sure what the problem is here. All game economies work like this. Prices are dictated by what people are willing to pay for the item. Prices go down when the product doesn't sell.

Wapner
12.15.2011 , 12:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by bdiddyrocker View Post
Ok i have been hearing a lot about the in game economy being messed up already and i was even told its idiots like me who ruin the ingame economy? I wa confused a bout what the in game economy is. A little help?
You can basically ignore what anyone tells you about the economy. :P Honestly, people will only pay what they think an item is worth. So it's hard to overprice an item and have it sell. And, if you are undercutting other people's prices, then they just need to lower their expectations.

A free economy (at least on the small scale of each MMO server) will regulate itself pretty well in an auction house / trade channel environment. Just set your prices where you think is appropriate and ignore the haters.

Bier
12.15.2011 , 12:52 PM | #5
If people are saying you are ruining the economy it's probably because you are selling whatever you are selling for a lower price than they think it should go for, thus undercutting potential profit. in-game economies go up, down, and sideways throughout the game's life and for someone to say it's already ruined is a little overblown, especially considering the game has been out only since Tuesday...

There are all sorts of guides out there about game economies and how to track the auction house (global trade network in SWTOR). If you get some time and want to learn about selling/buying, volume based sales, snipe bidding, etc. etc. google away.
Black Dragon Clan | www.blackdragonclan.com | Hedarr Soongh

FantasyMeister
12.15.2011 , 01:03 PM | #6
Whenever I get accused of undercutting, usually by someone whispering "You're ruining the economy!" and then going on to explain how ingame economies work (sometimes including equations) whilst I continue to sell another 15 stacks of materials under their nose, I usually reply that I'm the deterministic chaos for their economic model then put them on my ignore list.

No economy in any MMO has ever been ruined. There have been some pretty crazy price fluctuations, but the economies continue to stick around as long as the players do.
"Never underestimate the power of the Force. Or duct tape."

Brakner
12.15.2011 , 02:01 PM | #7
AUCTION WARS The Old Republic is srs bsns (AWTOR)