Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sammojo
02.07.2012 , 06:51 AM | #1
While I appreciate the attempt to make it more obvious which spells were on cooldown, I feel the new effects are just making it harder to see which abilities are available. The flashing and washout effects obscure the visibility of the abilities, and the flashing occurs after it has come off cooldown (making it difficult to react quickly as you cannot quite tell if it is available or just part of the GCD flashing).

All that was needed was to add a dark blue or reddish tinge to the abilities which were on cooldown, as the old GCD effect was sufficient and didn't obscure vision.

Is anyone else not liking the new effect?

BlindWitness
02.07.2012 , 06:53 AM | #2
patch is fresh out and the threads are rolling in. i do hope they fix it and i feel many more will agree. please fix

Embrosil
02.07.2012 , 06:54 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BlindWitness View Post
patch is fresh out and the threads are rolling in. i do hope they fix it and i feel many more will agree. please fix
Careful with your wishes. After all this "improvement" is based upon our last request to fix the toolbar.

Halofax
02.07.2012 , 06:55 AM | #4
Just saying, the new GCD animation looks amazing.

If you are too blind to see if your cooldowns are up, you need to get glasses.

korvboll
02.07.2012 , 06:58 AM | #5
love the new gcd animation also, perfect !

Sharee
02.07.2012 , 06:58 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sammojo View Post
making it difficult to react quickly as you cannot quite tell if it is available or just part of the GCD flashing
THe GCD 'flashing' only flashes on abilities that are available. If it flashes, it is ready.

Wazooty
02.07.2012 , 06:58 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Halofax View Post
Just saying, the new GCD animation looks amazing.

If you are too blind to see if your cooldowns are up, you need to get glasses.
Not the issue at all, stop spouting your ignorance.

They new cooldown indicator has taken a step back from the previous iteration, at least for my playstyle and my class.

In the previous iteration (before 1.1.2), abilities that were usable still appeared "lit up", even though they were on CD/GCD. The cooldown indicator still scrolled down the ability, but the ability itself was actually lit up, indicating it is usable the instant it comes off CD.

This was PERFECT for me. It let me actually predict the next ability I would use before I used it. Since I play rage/focus based classes, it's not as simple as knowing the next ability to press and pressing it; I had to know if I even had enough rage/focus to press it, and if I didn't I would have to change my rotation. With the previous iteration I KNEW I could use an ability because the ability was lit up, even if on GCD or CD. For other classes this might not be a big deal, but for a rage base class that needs to build our own rage through abilities, it helps immensely if we know it the split second we look at an ability if we have enough rage to use it.

Now with this new iteration, the ability goes dim (and has a white border around it) if it is on CD or GCD.

This basically means I cannot accurately predict my next ability. I absolutely stinks. Considering now 10 hours ago I was playing with the PERFECT system for my class, it really gets to me that I Have to use this new, inferior system. This means that my ability bar is constantly completely dimmed out because something is always on GCD/CD. I cannot look at an ability and tell if I can use it once the GCD is up. It really hurts my enjoyment of the game.

PLEASE give us the option of using the previous iteration of cooldown watch.

And only apply the white borders to abilities that actually have a CD longer than the GCD, thx.

Wazooty
02.07.2012 , 07:00 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sharee View Post
THe GCD 'flashing' only flashes on abilities that are available. If it flashes, it is ready.
I tested this and you are completely wrong.

It flashes whether the ability is usable or not. As a rage using class, just because the ability is off GCD does NOT mean it is usable.

Sharee
02.07.2012 , 07:03 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
In the previous iteration (before 1.1.2), abilities that were usable still appeared "lit up", even though they were on CD/GCD. The cooldown indicator still scrolled down the ability, but the ability itself was actually lit up, indicating it is usable the instant it comes off CD.

This was PERFECT for me.
It wasn't perfect for me, because while an ability half though it cooldown was easy to see as being half though it, a long-CD ability (say 2 minutes) that was 5 seconds away from being available actually appeared as already available, because the scrolling cooldown indicator was already all the way to the bottom(touching the bottom of the icon) and the ability was lit up making it impossible to distinguish from an ability really ready.

djdee
02.07.2012 , 07:03 AM | #10
Personally I would have preferred the old greyed out look plus a red number counting down the seconds in front of the center of the icon.

I understand though that this is an improvement in a different direction which makes it so you dont have to actually look down or to the side all the way to see when a CD is available. You can focus on the center of the screen better.

After what little playtime I had I think this is a solid patch. I notice FPS improvements again, and thank god for the perma sprint after death (yes, Im serious).
See ya on the chronostream, time jockey!
Shoot straight. Conserve ammo. And never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
You can use my referral link for a preferred friend bundle if you want to try SWTOR out.