Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Yojack build 2012 Trooper question and answer thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper
Yojack build 2012 Trooper question and answer thread!

Yadad's Avatar


Yadad
12.13.2011 , 03:27 PM | #21
Shield is a total waste of points and if you want to PVP solo it might be mumm ok

But the HUGE kicker will be when your in a PVP group, I can tell you right now with 110% certainty that the group will want you spec'd with the harpoon. If you ever PVPed in WHO against a group with a single target pull it is completely overpowered.

And this pull will be on a tank class to boot with a 3 second stun attached LOL, can you say, I'm pulling healer group get ready to focus fire, bam healer dead, on to next healer rise and repeat.

Here's the PVP build for team play

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGMdRroZrkr0oZb.1

Getting the reduced cd for cyro since most teams will probably be running duel healers for awhile. CC one healer pull the other to be FF'd down.
I'm sleeping at a La Quinta Inn so I'm fully rested to kickbutt and take names at launch.

Heezdedjim's Avatar


Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 03:30 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by UKViking View Post
And I suppose I may be over thinking things but Stockstrike/Gut is kinetic dmg and energy blast is elemental.
The main reason you want Gut is because it carries a DOT that lasts as long as its cooldown, meaning you can have it always running. And HIB requires a target that is either incapacitated or has a DOT running, so Gut gives you basically on-demand HIB as long as you can keep it going.

Heezdedjim's Avatar


Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 03:33 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Yadad View Post
Shield is a total waste of points and if you want to PVP solo it might be mumm ok
You forgot about Shield Cycler and Static Shield; moar ammo + moar Stockstrike = FTW.

Yadad's Avatar


Yadad
12.13.2011 , 03:36 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
You forgot about Shield Cycler and Static Shield; moar ammo + moar Stockstrike = FTW.
You won't be using that much ammo because the other team will be dieing very quickly.

CC > everything else

I'll try to find a good PVP marauder video from WHO and your see how OP this will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1RJqkeYLv8

This is a quick video but as you can see the guy's getting pulled are dieing before they even hit the ground.
I'm sleeping at a La Quinta Inn so I'm fully rested to kickbutt and take names at launch.

Yojack's Avatar


Yojack
12.13.2011 , 03:42 PM | #25
Thank you fatduck for posting the archive link....ill add it to the op when i get home from work.

I have posted my build and how ill be speccing to answer the tons of private messages i get but tweaking it to fit your playstyle is fine. But overall there isnt a build better for leveling...soloing heroics and pvp without having to respec.
Yojack, once a dual warglaive wielding beta rogue of another time and space (WoW) now, reborn as a Vanguard!
The Bastion
Home of Yojack's Min/Max since 2004

UKViking's Avatar


UKViking
12.13.2011 , 04:18 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
It's one of your three highest damage, most efficient primary attacks, ahead of High Impact Bolt in DPS and second only to HIB in efficiency (damage per ammo point). There's a reason you get it at level 2; it's one of your bread-and-butter damage dealing and threat generation abilities, and many talents are built around buffing it, procing it, or procing off of it, as you rise through the talent trees.
Thank you - I took another quick look at the talents and you have clarified that perfectly. I expect it will be very early spent talent points for most people in that case.

Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
The main reason you want Gut is because it carries a DOT that lasts as long as its cooldown, meaning you can have it always running. And HIB requires a target that is either incapacitated or has a DOT running, so Gut gives you basically on-demand HIB as long as you can keep it going.
Yeah, my only issue with Gut is that it seems great for soloing but potentially the *main* reason that people keep giving is lost in a raid or group where you will likely have plenty other dots on a mob. If it was *just* for enabling HIB, I think outside of a small two man part or solo, it is likely to be excessive to our needs.

I should say, I really do like the look of gut. Long term (or medium term at least) it seems to deal more damage than energy blast (since it has both the kinetic hit and internal bleed dot) although the downside being sustaining it vs. getting the energy cell boost off of energy blast.

UKViking's Avatar


UKViking
12.13.2011 , 04:38 PM | #27
Also, for those that are interested in the maths, just spotted this in the tanking role forum (sooo many forums...)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1321

Calculator for tanks. Looks pretty darn sweet... if you like spreadsheets of course

Yojack's Avatar


Yojack
12.13.2011 , 07:33 PM | #28
Gut is kind of meh and situational at best. To put it in perspective....im not adding it to my build until level 47 or so and is best used to keep up on raid bosses....has other uses too of course pvp/pve but its not a must have talent.
Yojack, once a dual warglaive wielding beta rogue of another time and space (WoW) now, reborn as a Vanguard!
The Bastion
Home of Yojack's Min/Max since 2004

Borell's Avatar


Borell
12.13.2011 , 11:09 PM | #29
Still not 100% sure what I'm going to play but the last days the Vanguard became more and more attractive to me. To be honest, I never realised he has both, Harpoon and Storm.

So right now I'm think about this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...boMZrsMrooZb.1

Problem is, I don't know if it will work yet. I hope both Shield Cycler and Battering Ram work with only 1 point in them. Pretty optimistic that Shield Cycler with its 6 seconds will, not too sure about Battering Ram at the moment.

Matmius's Avatar


Matmius
12.13.2011 , 11:37 PM | #30
Bioware really wants us to sit there and smack a boss with the butt of our gun every 4.5 seconds...Wow...No imagination....No inspiration.

It really feels like they didn't put any thought into the Shield Specialist Tree at all, just a whole bunch of stuff to buff Stockstrike....yet its so disjointed...

Let me explain:

The Ion Cell proc and DoT on Stockstrike is nice. Good idea for a cornerstone of SS tanking. But then things go awry. The combination of Static Shield and Supercharged Ion Cell just don't work together. Increasing the DoT to 9secs yet decreasing the potential CD of Stockstrike? Wheres the sense there? Given that the DoT will simply overwrite(ie NOT stack), means that those 2 talents confilct in a major way, there is no synergy.

Potential Solution:

Change Static Shield talent to have a chance to end the CD of Pulse Cannon and make next Pulse Cannon uninterruptible and immune to pushback. Effect cannot occur more than once every 9 seconds.

Without this, we are never using Pulse Cannon while tanking due to the pushback and relative high cost. Having this in our arsenal would really allow the Mid-range tanking that they talk about, and make it much more fun!!

Which brings me to the next case of talent conflicts, Smoke Grenade and Shield Cycler. Smoke Grenade decreases the accuracy of the target, thus decreasing the # of hits, thus decreasing the # of successful shields needed to proc ammo regen via Shield Cycler. Both the other tanks have talents that proc on not only shields, but also parries/deflects/resists, so why can't Trooper Tanks. This only makes sense as us tanks NEED a dependable regen of resources, not a spikey source which effectiveness is decreased by using one of our own abilities.

Potential Solution:

Change Shield Cycler talent to proc on Deflects/Resists and Shields(I dont think Troopers Parry, maybe Dodge). This would allow much greater synergy with Smoke Grenage and a much more reliable source of ammo, thus more fun as a tank.

Whatcha think Yojack?