Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Remake of the older (4-6) movies?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Remake of the older (4-6) movies?

02.15.2012 , 11:16 PM | #91
I Hope they never do.

The main advantage they had for the originals over the newer ones was the lack of CGI forced them to actually interesting, immersive sets. The newer SW movies lacked that for the most part, relying on some twit with a computer instead of actual sets and costumes.

A remake might as well just be boiled down to 100% CGi like the clone wars cartoons. Its what they should have gone ahead and done with I II and III anyway just to keep it all computer generated instead of just 80%.

I do realize some folks love that.. I'm just not one of them. I loved the real sets, the models, the ACTORS in COSTUMES playing the aliens (even Jabba) rather than the CGI crap that permates the world now days. It just made it seem all the more real.

If they want to do a remake? remake I II and III into the likeness of their predecessors. At least then they might be worth watching.
Make the most of today, there may not be a tomorrow.

02.16.2012 , 12:17 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
Third: Europe only dominated China when Britain exploited the drug trade to cripple the culture. These tactics were absolutely non-martial and regarded by pretty much everyone to be immoral and shameful to modern sensibilities.
The Chinese Emperor didn't leave them much choice. It was illegal to trade with the Europeans, so the only thing they could actually perofrm any sort of trading with, was opium.
Not to forget that if it wasn't for Britain, there'd be no Hong Kong as it we know it. Britain made Hong Kong.

Yes, but the whole point is that a lightsaber mixes the speed and accuracy of an ultra-light sword with the blocking and defense of a broadsword.

The difference between the sword fighting in Ep 4-6 and Ep 1-3 was that for Ep 1-3, they had actual sword masters help design the fights based on the abilities of the swords they were using.
Can't remember the name of the fight choreographer for the originals, but he spoke about what Lucas wanted lightsaber combat to look like at the time. He was also an olympic fencer and fight choreographer in films for fifty years.
It began as something that required the combatants to always use both hands, as though the hilts were actually heavy. Behind the scenes pictures show Guiness and Prowse mock fencing while using one hand, and also with both hands.

They were also meant to be closer to the fighting style associated with samurai swords.

When doing the choreography for Empire, it changed so that the weapons were closer to how we know them today, light enough to use in one hand.
This was to show a progression of Luke's proficiency with a lightsaber, and to allow Vader to appear far stronger both physically and in skill. It worked.
Combined with the advances made in special effects by ILM, it allowed them to have a better range of movements for the choreography, even throwing in Luke's kick to Vader that knocked him off the top of the carbon freeze platform.

In Jedi, further tech advances and changes to choreography showed that Luke could match Vader, who had been so far undefeated by anyone (remember, before the prequels were made).
The end of their battle climaxing in showing how Vader was caught off guard by such a furious onslaught from Luke, and leaving him unable to recover from it to the point that it cost him his hand, in the same way that it had cost Luke's hand in their previous battle.

On a side note, I think Anakin's final fight against Dooku should have shown Anakin's attacks as being more anger fuelled, so that it mirrored the end of Luke & Vader's duel in Jedi. They really just seemed too choreographed and controlled, as did most of the fights throughout the prequels, except for about half of Obi-Wan vs Anakin.

The thing that really sets the lightsaber combat apart in the two trilogies, is twirling of sabers.
Pointless flashy filler movements that are only there to look cool, which were finally taken to their extreme silliness in RoTS, especially when the only real reason for doing anything like that during a one-on-one confrontation would be to reorient your weapon for bringing as much force to bare in an emergency. Which doesn't apply to a sword whose blade has no weight.

Found him, Robert Anderson
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

02.16.2012 , 12:27 AM | #93
If I could I would strangle the op for suggesting such a retarded idea.

02.16.2012 , 12:30 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by lorddakar View Post
If I could I would strangle the op for suggesting such a retarded idea.
Maybe he'd like that.....
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

02.16.2012 , 12:48 AM | #95

02.16.2012 , 03:17 AM | #96
1) Yeah. I admit that some older scenes are kinda... Jerky and jarring. The Tauntauns are clearly stop-motion and it just... Doesn't have the same effect. The cost of new effects (Such as the like used to make Tintin) would be a LOAD of cash though. Would they make it back? Maybe...

Personally... I prefer the older special effects like those of the Death Star trench run. The explosions are real. The ships are real (Albeit models). The effects just aren't the same level of realism in episode 1-3. Though... The technology used to make Avatar would help... But we come back to the animals looking just that bit off and unnatural.

There's something to be said about how real a set that's PHYSICALLY BUILT looks vs CGI. The things that physically exist look that much better... But CGI has caught up a lot.

2) The battles make sense. Vader's slow and sloppy attacks are because he's 85% machine. And not even good machine... His legs are from load lifter droids, meaning that it's a tad hard to leap about in. He can't move his neck around because of his bionic lungs, making flips all the much harder... AND THEN we see he's had cybernetic augmentation on his spine (In episode 6, when lit up by lightning). He's a zombie of a man kept alive by heavy, yet fragile machinery.

The others? Kenobi is an old man, and not as spry as he used to be... And Luke has no clue how to fight using the 'styles' of combat as trained by the Jedi in episode 1-3. He just used it like a sword. Which admittedly worked well against Vader's restricted style.

3) Actors... I'm not... Totally keen on actors. Personally, I don't think there are many 'great' actors anymore... And most BIG roles are given to popular stars (Unlike the original Star Wars' cast of unknown people to play Luke, Leia and others with big name roles for Kenobi, Tarkin and such)

I dunno. Maybe give McGregor some age effects to make Kenobi look old enough. The same effects used to make CLU in Tron: legacy could work for Luke, Leia and Han. Otherwise, the title characters are interchangeable. Robert Downey Jr would make a good Tarkin or Moff.

I dunno. Maybe if it was made not as a reboot or a remake, but a different styling. Using different designs for Storm-troopers, Vader, The death star... Taking cues from the originals, but trying to be an alternate version.

That said, if it were made, I'd see it, buy the toys, buy the games, etc. Because.

02.16.2012 , 03:32 AM | #97
How about we remake you OP?
Canceled subscription cause of: Poor character customization/appearance | Boring endgame content | Terrible fps/loading times | Instanced game world.

02.16.2012 , 04:52 AM | #98
I heard Supershadow is making them. Hahaha