End Game Mains and Support

jecstir

I remember WoW way back before they raised the level cap the first time and I played right after they raised it the first time. You know how some classes or specs *COULD* tank but you want a main tank and a main healer. I have yet to play the game, so a little help would be nice. :D

Somehow I get the feeling that there is one class and specialization that is a main tank and one that is an off tank... does it even matter in this game would be my main question. There can't really be more than one class/race/spec that is able to be a good main tank... and the same question for healer. Someone knows what I mean right? The website claims there are mutliple ranged/melee dps, buffs, healers, crowd control and tanks, but are they all just gimp compared to the one true and true... why isnt there a list of main tank/ off tank or whatever... is it really the first game of all time where different classes can be the main in end game

PS: I've played UO, EQ1-2, AC1-2, SWG, WoW, LOTRO, D&D online, EVE online, Age of Conan... and... camelot... and tons of "free" pay to play MMO's, so I really hate to be a tool trying to get a feel for this by comparing it to WoW... I'm just posing the question that way because it seems everyone is a WoW junkie these days... Corp Por ftw *****es! hehe, any insight would help

Thanks

JEC

It's not the first game to do it, but yes, there are multiple classes that can really effectively fill any role.

Juggernauts/Guardians, Powertechs/Vanguards, and Assassins/Shadows can all tank. They can all be main tanks in level 50 Operations and do their jobs effectively. Some argue that Powertechs/Vanguards are the best tanks right now. But, like in any MMO, never go off of what is "best" at any given moment, because we all know it can and likely will change. But all 3 of them can be excellent tanks.

Similarly, Sorcerers/Sages, Operatives/Scoundrels, and Mercenaries/Commandos can all heal effectively. Any one of them can main heal an Operation. Again, there are numerous opinions about which are best, but i'll leave that for others to argue.

Every single class in the game can spec for DPS and do so quite competitively. This can create a great deal of debate, and not every spec is the same as every other, but they can all really get the job done. Some are harder or more complex than others, and some excel in certain roles where others are lacking. But all 8 ACs on each side can put out significant DPS in a level 50 Operation.

All of these classes can also rock in PvP. Much of it depends on the player, and there are some classes that can tear through certain classes a bit easier. But since you've played other MMOs, i'm sure you know how that goes.

Dunno about tank (I'm tankasin myself and have no problems except with unguarded pyrotech PTs) but sorc is undisputable best/main/only healer of the game (these guys just have too much tools and resources to pull through oh shi moments), mercs are fine too, cant say as much about operatives.

Dunno about tank (I'm tankasin myself and have no problems except with unguarded pyrotech PTs) but sorc is undisputable best/main/only healer of the game (these guys just have too much tools and resources to pull through oh shi moments), mercs are fine too, cant say as much about operatives.

If "mercs are fine too" and you "cant say as much about operatives" then why claim sage/consular are the *best* healers? I think the first responder really summed it up well enough that, yes, all classes can perform the roles available to them good enough. Granted, the game is like, a little over a month old so there's still some balance issues between all the classes, but the goal still stands to have them all performing same roles within a small percent discrepancy.

Thanks! I appreciate the help... I remembered another MMO I played a while back for a month or two: Guild Wars... I knew I was leaving one out! lol, how I've ever had girlfriends over the years is still a mystery :p You all have answered my question pretty well. I suppose I could have done more research on the forums to get this info, but I've put in my time in the past for several games doing research and just wanted to shoot a quick question out there myself for once. As long as the goal is to have multiple classes filling multiple roles evenly, I have faith that they will eventually balance the game to what it needs to be...most games usually do meet their objectives sooner or later :rolleyes: I just didn't know if that was actually what they were going for or not.

I rolled Jedi Knight like a 8 yr old anyway just because I spent so long looking for holocrons in SWG only to come up short... I wanted a light saber in a(n) MMO at least once before I rolled trooper...I just couldnt believe that I was actually going to get to play an effective Non-spell-spammer ranged AOE DD that subs as a healing class and wears heavy armor :eek: ... Um... yes please... anyway, it sounded too good to be true, so I figured I'd ask just how gimp I would be at one or the other

Thanks Again,

JEC

Edited by jecstir

Any tanking class can maintank hardmodes and operations in this game. Any healing class can mainheal hardmodes and operation.

Sure, Powertechs have better AOE threat than Juggernauts, Juggernauts have better defensive cooldowns though. Assassins are middle of the pack with OK cooldowns and OK aoe threat.

Sorcerers have easier energy management than Operatives, Operatives can roll more hots though, and Mercs are the best burst healers.

Just because each class has their own niche doesn't mean they aren't perfectly viable for maintanking or -healing content though. They all are.