Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How likely will it be for a Jedi/Sith to dual-wield?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How likely will it be for a Jedi/Sith to dual-wield?

RobNightfall's Avatar


RobNightfall
02.07.2012 , 08:06 PM | #21
Just like someone who can fight in the Florentine style IRL, it would be exceedingly rare. It might be slightly easier because strength would be a non-factor (lightsabers only have weight in the hilt) but the coordination required would still be intense. I can't even fight sword and board IRL, I use two-handed practice weapons for the enhanced control over the weapon they offer.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

RobNightfall's Avatar


RobNightfall
02.07.2012 , 08:06 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Bloodfount View Post
well in Episode II there was a bit of dual wielding going on. Jedi are protectors though. How many police officers do you see carrying two pistols?
Lol they all carry two plus pistols, they only shoot one at a time lol. And if you can't see the backup gun, just know it's there.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

RobNightfall's Avatar


RobNightfall
02.07.2012 , 08:11 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
Eh, wakizashi and butterfly swords are still pretty light in terms of SW weapons; lightsabers seem about comparable to bastard swords. (I did like that in KotOR, there were short lightsabers suitable for offhand use. It was a shame you could just equip a full mainhand saber anyway and take the -2 hit by the time you hit level 10, rendering the light offhand concept pointless.)

Nevertheless, fair point: the basic concept isn't impossible or unheard of given the right equipment and training. Which really just makes me want to see even more diverse or complex fighting styles. Lightkukri. Lightsai. Light meteor hammers!
Actually lightsabers have NO weight in the blade. That's why only force users use them, a non force user can't find the balance of the blade (it's a beam of light). The hard part is coordinating both blades.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

DreamingGod's Avatar


DreamingGod
02.07.2012 , 08:30 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by RobNightfall View Post
Actually lightsabers have NO weight in the blade. That's why only force users use them, a non force user can't find the balance of the blade (it's a beam of light). The hard part is coordinating both blades.
Well, technically, it's a blade of plasma housed inside shielding, but that's neither here nor there, it's still (functionally) weightless.

Force-users are more adept with Lightsabers because of their inherent precognition that helps them to not cut themselves in half while wielding them because of the strange fashion wielding a weightless blade is.

On that note, for a talented Force-user, the coordination would be a moot point, since your precognition and enhanced reflexes would, with training, negate the inherent flaw. Now, strength woudl still be an issue.

tausra's Avatar


tausra
02.08.2012 , 12:34 AM | #25
In short bursts and with a certain "power level" strength is a non-issue as well. Drawing on the force to directly augment a person's physical capabilities is not unheard of. Vader drew almost entirely on the force to simply move, enhancing his surviving musculature directly with the Force. So in summary to dual wield a person would need the following: Force enhanced precognition, force enhanced reflexes, decades of training, force enhanced Strength and the focus to keep every movement and action precise.
"Sith, children of Sith, warriors everywhere, I declare a new Empire, open to all who long for conquest, freedom from inhibition and the right to follow their passions." -Emperor Malgus

ptoss's Avatar


ptoss
02.08.2012 , 01:02 AM | #26
There is one simple reason duel-wielding is less seen:

it's harder.

Kantor_omicron's Avatar


Kantor_omicron
02.08.2012 , 01:42 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by tausra View Post
So in summary to dual wield a person would need the following: Force enhanced precognition, force enhanced reflexes, decades of training, force enhanced Strength and the focus to keep every movement and action precise.
- This is lightsaber. I can defeat 4 people in a time with it and it takes me around 10 years to master it.
- And this is portable Heavy Assault Cannon MX-10. I can take out 150 people with it in a ten seconds flat and it takes me around 2 days to master it.

Sorry for off-topic. Just remembered that.
BTW I dont like dual-wielding - in both KotORs and Jedi Academy I choose light-staff.

Aethyriel's Avatar


Aethyriel
02.08.2012 , 01:48 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by tausra View Post
In short bursts and with a certain "power level" strength is a non-issue as well. Drawing on the force to directly augment a person's physical capabilities is not unheard of. Vader drew almost entirely on the force to simply move, enhancing his surviving musculature directly with the Force. So in summary to dual wield a person would need the following: Force enhanced precognition, force enhanced reflexes, decades of training, force enhanced Strength and the focus to keep every movement and action precise.
You need training for everything you do... for dualwielding you need talent though, you gotta be able to move the "weaker" part of your body just as good as your strong one. Few people have this ability/natural gift and there is no real sense in training for it instead of focusing on onehanded combat, because if you are not naturally gifted that way it won't enhance your combat skills. Think of it as writing your name... I can't do it that well with my left, I could train it over and over again and some day I'll probably get close to my right hand writing, but there is no real sense in there.

As for the other parts... dualwielding the way it is in the game normally works with 2 light weapons and is bascially used to bring your enemy off balance or for parry (especially parry daggers were quite common). It just got uselees when armor got heavier because you couldn't get enough strenght behind a blow with just 1 hand (unlike having a shield a second weapon doesn'T do anything good for you in a slower paced fight).

However, sparing you the history lesson I'd say it is actually viable to DW lightsabers, simply because I doubt you need that much strenght to hurt someone with freakin focused plasma, cuts through a lot of stuff easily and the real strenght behind the attacks come from the speed, agility and force... I always have to think of the way Mace Windu fought when thinking about DW, he had this ridiculously fast paced fighting style that would benefit from a second weapon for strikes inbetween strikes... or to draw some connection to unarmed fighting... an offhand strike is basically like a jab in boxing.. it is not to do real harm, but to open up defence and hit harder with a straight or whatever.

gibmachine's Avatar


gibmachine
02.08.2012 , 05:42 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Aethyriel View Post
Think of it as writing your name... I can't do it that well with my left, I could train it over and over again and some day I'll probably get close to my right hand writing
OT but here's a trick. Get a pen in both of your hands, big enough piece of paper and try writing your name with both hands simultaneously. They will come off being almost exact mirror images of each other.

deusBAAL's Avatar


deusBAAL
02.08.2012 , 06:11 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Bloodfount View Post
well in Episode II there was a bit of dual wielding going on. Jedi are protectors though. How many police officers do you see carrying two pistols?
That is because in real life it is impossible to dual wield a handgun... if trying you wouldnt hit a van standing 5m in front of you and only hurt your wrists from the recoil really really bad.

From my time in the (German) army I know that most people have a hard time hitting a mansized target over 25meters range, free-hand, standing, with all the time you need to aim.

Anything else are just Hollywood fairy tales.
Funny how PVP folks strive to become the best PK, while PVE folks know that PKs are just really really bad players.