Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes..."

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes..."

earlallison
02.06.2012 , 05:20 PM | #1
You know, there's just no way I can parse that so that it makes any sense considering it's Kenobi saying it to a rapidly descending into darkness Anakin.

Is this a clever wink and a nod to the audience, that the Jedi Code for all its good intent is hypocritical and the Order deserves to fall? That even Obi-Wan can't see that?

Is it just bad writing? Something that sounded cool unless you examined it?

Or am I seriously just giving a throwaway line too much attention?

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of the line, as long as it doesn't descend into simple prequel-bashing.

Take it and run

SNCommand
02.06.2012 , 05:26 PM | #2
I love the way it clashes with its own point, it's like the krogan in Mass Effect 2 claiming "You humans are all racist"

Or for a real world example, when someone claims "Only old white people are bigots"
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

TheKillerCF
02.06.2012 , 05:27 PM | #3
I think it was just a poorly written throwaway line.

ChrisRedmond
02.06.2012 , 05:38 PM | #4
Obi Wan didn't even want to fight Anakin, even at the end he couldn't bring himself to kill him.

On that note, during the conversation, he was trying to convince 'himself' that Anakin was still a Jedi, Yoda was wrong, and he hadn't really become a Sith.

He was more talking to himself or thinking out loud when he said it. He should have said "A Jedi doesn't deal in absolutes, but a Sith does."

Just more bad writing from the God of bad dialogue.

Talkative
02.06.2012 , 05:43 PM | #5
You're all expecting way too much out of George Lucas.

It's a flippant one-liner, and while it's mediocre in context, it's awesome to drop on people at work.

I've probably sent out a dozen e-mails over my career that simply state "Only the Sith deal in absolutes, [Person Who Made Statement]." Guaranteed to end any dissidence.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever. - Robert Ricciardi

Maaruin
02.06.2012 , 05:45 PM | #6
German Wikipedia said something like:

In the time before the Iraq War Bush said in one of his speaches: "If you are not with us, you are with the terrorists."

So Lucas took this line and put it into Anakin's mouth ("If you are not with me, you are my enemy!"). Then he put what he thinks about it into Obi-Wan's mouth.

Really, the statement seems so missplaced that this explanation makes almost sense.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

JDTC
02.06.2012 , 05:51 PM | #7
"Do or do not, there is no try."
i support powertech

earlallison
02.06.2012 , 05:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JDTC View Post
"Do or do not, there is no try."
No, because that one works. You perform an action. You either succeed, or you do not. Granted, there are degrees of success and failure, but at the end of the day, the statement works.

You sit down to eat a whole apple (less the core, we'll say).

Option one. You eat the entire apple. Success.

Option two. You eat none or only part of the apple. Failure, since your goal was to eat the apple.

It's hokey, but accurate.

Take it and run,

RoninGuero
02.06.2012 , 06:27 PM | #9
"Try" to sit down. Either you do, or you don't. There really is no middle ground.

TheHeadCapper
02.06.2012 , 06:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by earlallison View Post
Or am I seriously just giving a throwaway line too much attention?
Yes you are
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions