Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are Sith really evil?

GuyTallman
02.06.2012 , 05:47 PM | #21
Actions are evil, but the sith and jedi ideologies are not.

Embracing passions, is not evil, nor is ignoring them. Embracing your anger to murder babies would be evil. Persecuting and killing others because their beliefs are different (looking at you jedis) is also evil.

Whether one group has a predisposition towards a certain alignment over another is something else entirely. But as to whether Sith are inherently evil, I think it is pretty easy to definitively say no.
The difference between madness and genius is measured in degrees of success.

AngelousWang
02.06.2012 , 05:54 PM | #22
Sith act naturally, like animals.

They fight and kill, the strong survive, thrive, and dominate, the weak serve or get killed.

This behavior isn't considered evil for animals because of their lower level intelligence and awareness.

However if a being of high level intelligence and awareness does the same it is considered evil because of the moral code of (our/western) society, which dictates we are better/more evolved than the primitive and base behavior of animals, therefore we must act in way that is better for all of society rather than just for ourselves.

So are Sith evil?

By our moral standards: yes. - (subsequently our moral standards and the Republic's are shared).

By natures standards: no, evil doesn't exist in nature, and the Sith act the same as the rest of predators.

By there own moral standards: nope.
CE VIP

Ziggoratt
02.06.2012 , 06:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelousWang View Post
Sith act naturally, like animals.

They fight and kill, the strong survive, thrive, and dominate, the weak serve or get killed.

This behavior isn't considered evil for animals because of their lower level intelligence and awareness.

However if a being of high level intelligence and awareness does the same it is considered evil because of the moral code of (our/western) society, which dictates we are better/more evolved than the primitive and base behavior of animals, therefore we must act in way that is better for all of society rather than just for ourselves.

So are Sith evil?

By our moral standards: yes. - (subsequently our moral standards and the Republic's are shared).

By natures standards: no, evil doesn't exist in nature, and the Sith act the same as the rest of predators.

By there own moral standards: nope.
And yet, as any Sith-player knows, there is such thing as a merciful Sith. It is not a prerequisite for being Sith to be a cruel, merciless killer. That's just a path that some take.

Maaruin
02.06.2012 , 06:01 PM | #24
Nearly all the Sith I know seem to care not as much for passion as they care for power. They use their passions, channel them to become mor powerful.

So the question is like: Is the pursuit of power at any cost evil?

(Personally, I would say the evil lies in the "at any cost", power itself is neutral.)

Look at the game: How many Sith you talk to are evil, how many are good. My count is like 40:1 or 40:2. The only Sith I remember as good was Darth Silthar on Tatooine. Well, at least he was a nice Sith
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

ZaneG
02.06.2012 , 06:02 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Bladedheart View Post
HE KILLED THE YOUNGLINGS!

I'd guess evil.

He wasnt a Sith he was a Whiny Jedi
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

AngelousWang
02.06.2012 , 06:10 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Ziggoratt View Post
And yet, as any Sith-player knows, there is such thing as a merciful Sith. It is not a prerequisite for being Sith to be a cruel, merciless killer. That's just a path that some take.
That because you are imposing your own morality upon your character. You are not following Sith morality. (Unless you were an alien captured from a non-Sith world, then you are can justify you character having a non-Sith morality).

"Ask for no mercy and receive none, Die like a Sith" - The Sith Warrior.

This is basic Sith morality.
CE VIP

TrollBerzerker
02.06.2012 , 06:12 PM | #27
Loads of misconceptions in this thread.

Yes, the sith are evil. Their ideology is evil. You can't throw a debate as to what is truly good or evil into this, because Star Wars has clearly defined good and evil, not mere philosophical concepts. The sith and everything about them is evil.

No, you can't channel the dark side using positive emotions. You can't use love and compassion as a sith. The dark side fosters negative emotions, and is fueled by them. Force Lightning is pure hatred given destructive form, and it can only be channeled with hatred. Attempting to use the dark side will ultimately cause you to be ruled by negative emotions.

The concept that sith can embrace positive emotions is born from the thought that jedi seek to suppress all emotions. Jedi do not seek to become emotionless, they seek to keep their emotions from guiding them, to think with a level head. Jedi still have positive emotions. They still experience love and friendship, they still know happiness and compassion. The goal of the jedi ideology is to prevent those emotions from ruling you.

Edit:Also, the light-sided merciful sith that we can play in TOR technically should not be possible.

Marak
02.06.2012 , 06:16 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TrollBerzerker View Post
Loads of misconceptions in this thread.

Yes, the sith are evil. Their ideology is evil. You can't throw a debate as to what is truly good or evil into this, because Star Wars has clearly defined good and evil, not mere philosophical concepts. The sith and everything about them is evil.

No, you can't channel the dark side using positive emotions. You can't use love and compassion as a sith. The dark side fosters negative emotions, and is fueled by them. Force Lightning is pure hatred given destructive form, and it can only be channeled with hatred.

The concept that sith can embrace positive emotions is born from the thought that jedi seek to suppress all emotions. Jedi do not seek to become emotionless, they seek to keep their emotions from guiding them, to think with a level head. Jedi still have positive emotions. They still experience love and friendship, they still know happiness and compassion. The goal of the jedi ideology is to prevent those emotions from ruling you.
None of what you just said is actually true. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

By the very existence of "dark jedi" and "light sith" in the lore, not even TOR but the EU in general, means we are operating in varying shades of grey here.

Maaruin
02.06.2012 , 06:18 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post
None of what you just said is actually true. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

By the vary existence of "dark jedi" and "light sith" in the lore, not even TOR but the EU in general, means we are operating in varying shades of grey here.
I agree, but I think you have to admit that most sith tend strongly towards the more black side of the grey area.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

TrollBerzerker
02.06.2012 , 06:21 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post

By the very existence of "dark jedi" and "light sith" in the lore, not even TOR but the EU in general, means we are operating in varying shades of grey here.
The sith do not operate off of positive emotions - True

The dark side is inherently evil and negative - True

The dark side powers are fueled by negative emotions - True

Star Wars has clearly defined good and evil - True

The jedi don't seek to become emotionless - True

The jedi still experience positive emotions - True

Dark jedi and light sith - the product of bad writers who don't understand the very basic concepts that Star Wars and the force are built upon.