Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

For PVP: Powertech vs Mercenary

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
For PVP: Powertech vs Mercenary

dexterryu
02.06.2012 , 08:54 AM | #1
Hey guys...

First this is not a which is better than the other question. Basically here is my story.... I've got a Consular Sage (heal spec) that I raid with and just hit Battlemaster with and I'm going to start and Empire alt.

I'm primarily looking to PVP with this toon as my raiding guild is republic. Also, since may main is a healer I'm looking for something that does good DPS, and has quite a bit of utility (CC, knockbacks, pulls)

So if you guys don't mind could someone go over the advantages & disadvantages of both AC's DPS options for PVP?

Much appreciated.

Malles
02.06.2012 , 08:57 AM | #2
I personally use Powertech, but judging from all the hate I see on the forums, I'd roll Mercenary if I were you. Tracer Missile is the ****. As for Powertech, you can either roll a tank and just soak up everything or roll Pyrotech and get constant Rail Shots and DoTs. Never had much luck with AP.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.

Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

dexterryu
02.06.2012 , 09:07 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Malles View Post
I personally use Powertech, but judging from all the hate I see on the forums, I'd roll Mercenary if I were you. Tracer Missile is the ****. As for Powertech, you can either roll a tank and just soak up everything or roll Pyrotech and get constant Rail Shots and DoTs. Never had much luck with AP.
Well, I don't want a 1 button class. Mainly I'm looking for utility stuff like knockbacks, pulls, and CC.

Malles
02.06.2012 , 10:39 AM | #4
Roll a Shield Tech PW then. Grapple, stuns, taunt debuffs, etc.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.

Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

Rykke
02.06.2012 , 10:45 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by rykke View Post
i think it boils down to which hybrid role would you be more interested in taking? Having tried out both before picking here's what i gathered.

Mercenaries can heal and a healer is the unsung hero of warzones. One of the biggest shortcomings of mercenaries in general in pvp is their standing casts with arsenal or bodyguard. They are more prone to interrupts and while their pyro tree does eliminate some of it, the powertech pyrotech is still more mobile and in my opinion better in pvp due to the options you have to control others with. However if you pair yourself with a friend you can rely on that can help peel for you, this can patch up your sole downfall and allow you to demolish enemy lines with missiles and what not.

Powertechs are melee with ranged capabilities and mostly instant abilities. The pyrotech tree is their preferred dps tree for pvp. Their tank tree offers a different way to support for your team via damage reduction through taunts/guard and is also arguably the most mobile bh. Keep in mind that taunts can be used in any cylinder or stance while guard can only be used in the tank stance. Lastly, powertechs in pvp have a much easier time scoring medals tanking or not due to taunts. They're also able to shut down other people easier with access to a kick, shared stun with mercenary, and a PBAoE stun Carbonize.

Tldr: Can't go wrong cause overall the bh/trooper archetypes are op.
Mercenary: Range nuker/healer
powertech: Melee-mid range skirmisher/tank
From a similar thread..

Talon_Starfire
02.06.2012 , 01:10 PM | #6
How would a Merc fare with a Sorcerer and Assassin?
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Nechronix
02.06.2012 , 01:29 PM | #7
I play a Merc BH and have owned and gotten owned by Sorc's/Assassins. If you take out the gear disparity it really comes down to the player behind the toon. Reaction times, knowing when to use what skill. BH's have a lot of tools at their disposal, especially Powertechs from what I've heard.

Also, I wouldn't look at 1v1 situations too much. IMO this is a very team-oriented game. Like somebody earlier posted, figure out what secondary role you may want to fill (tanking or heals? Sustained DPS or burst?) and let that help you make the decision. Either way it's a really fun class, I think you'll enjoy. Good luck

Talon_Starfire
02.06.2012 , 01:38 PM | #8
I read burst is better for PvP so is that Mercenary?
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Rykke
02.06.2012 , 01:48 PM | #9
Burst is something most classes are capable of, they just have to spec into it. Both classes are more than capable of destructive burst provided they spec for it. It's the flavor in how you do it that differentiates them. You can't just pick by saying I want "burst" alone.

pixelelement
02.06.2012 , 01:55 PM | #10
Many BH specs are good at PvP. (Both PT/Merc) Honestly this comes down to the player and style you like. I have a Pryo Merc that enjoy a lot.
Vima/Kota
Sith Assassin . Mercenary
----------------------------------------------------