Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

how to prevent "companion pain" in early levels (sniper)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
how to prevent "companion pain" in early levels (sniper)

ThePirateMD
02.06.2012 , 07:48 AM | #1
As a sniper, either I'm using kaliyo wrong, or she is just a bad companion for us.

I need to know how to use her more efficiently, until I get my next companion.

Should i bother trolling the Galactic nework for expensive armor for her? Am I doing it wrong by just leaving her in Guard Stance?

thank you

Mikkeos
02.06.2012 , 08:03 AM | #2
Your companion needs good gear too.

A couple of pieces of moddable armor, and moddable weapons help a lot - if you have easy access to barrels and armor mods.

Share the damage.
Set her stances to hotkeys, and learn how to hand aggro over, and how to make the npc stand where you need them for best effect.
Q: So, is there anything at all in the game that mitigates falling damage?
A: elevators

Nyysjan
02.06.2012 , 01:24 PM | #3
Kaliyo sucks, with good gear she sucks somewhat less, but still sucks.
Get her quest gear during levelling and dump her for Lokin asap, no need to buy stuff of GTN in my opinion.

I'm at level 50, and have Kaliyo almost fully at Tionese gear (blue level 50 gloves, some T1 pvp purples, but 4/5 of the tank pve set), and now she is finally of some use in solo fights against small groups or single elites with no adds, but even then mostly just stopping the enemy from forcing me out of cover or using knockbacks, i could just as easily use Temple who is mostly in blues, kill the enemy in shorter time, and loose as much health on myself as Kaliyo would have lost when tanking (but would have to deal with the debuffs, knockbacks and other crap).
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudKiller View Post
Agent: "If you want a door smashed down call a Sith Warrior, if you want a door blow to pieces call a Bounty Hunter, if you want the key to the door and the knowledge of what lies beyond it then you call me."

Elladan
02.06.2012 , 02:11 PM | #4
Have a cybertech alt/buddy craft you some blue ship droid gear, and bring him along instead. They fixed his incessant feedback during fights, and he's not a half-bad healer. At least try it out, I think you'll be surprised.

I've always kept Kaliyo up on her gear/mods, but she's still really squishy. I do agree though, knowing her stances/attacks (knowing when to AoE and when not) will help a lot. Put her into passive when she's targeted by a blue circle on the ground. She'll scamper over to you, preventing some damage. Then when it's safe again, put her back into Guard stance, and send her to Attack (ctrl-1 by default, use it a lot).
The Ebon Hawk:
Roanim - Sith Juggernaut ; Casiee- Mercenary; Rossume - Jedi Guardian; V'eera - Sith Sorcerer (for the heals)

Kamay
02.06.2012 , 03:42 PM | #5
getting her good gear is a must BUT tank companions were nerfed after the beta because it was easy mode for healers and could be used for Flashpoints (which was not wat they were intended for). They are "supposed" to take more damage than a player tank.

or at least that's what i have been led to believe and noticed
*pewpew*
Imperial Medical Operatives - spray painting you with Kolto since 5000 BBY

Rhinzual
02.06.2012 , 04:15 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kamay View Post
getting her good gear is a must BUT tank companions were nerfed after the beta because it was easy mode for healers and could be used for Flashpoints (which was not wat they were intended for). They are "supposed" to take more damage than a player tank.

or at least that's what i have been led to believe and noticed
That is such a lie. Khem Val struggles to do any damage while I healed him on Dromund Kas, yet my Powertech was just loling along the entire time with Mako.